+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Desperately need advice! Asked out no date.

Desperately need advice! Asked out no date.

So I'm 19, pretty much 0 experience in dating. Recently since me and one of my guy friends have been hanging out lately i've been questioning my feelings towards him. For example, when we made out when drunk i thought i felt something, which is a first. Or how i really love his company because he does always make me laugh. Or how he's been occupying my thoughts but i'm still not sure how I feel. Or how the actual thought of him with someone else doesn't sit right with me. Anyway he asked me out, and part of me wanted to say yes and another part didn't want to ruin the friendship. I said yes but i think it came out hesitant. Anyway he hasn't contacted me in three days. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! Can somebody please give me advice? Should i just forget about it and maintain a great friendship? Or should i take a shot at this and message him and organise something? OR WHAT? We've been talking as usual online but he's made no mention of that night, so i don't know!

And i still don't know how i feel. That entire night I did want to kiss him. but the thought of actually dating terrifies me, especially cause of my lack of experience. But i really love hanging out with him. Basically i don't know how i feel towards him cause i can't sort out my feelings, i feel bad cause he probably thinks i said yes out of pity, (even though i messaged him over fb saying that i was interested), or maybe he's just lost interest altogether and never really cared in the first place.

IF he was sober when he asked you on the date, then by all means tell him that you're holding him to this date. If he was drunk at the time, then pretend it never happened.

What about dating terrifies you? What exactly are you scared of?
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    IF he was sober when he asked you on the date, then by all means tell him that you're holding him to this date. If he was drunk at the time, then pretend it never happened.

What about dating terrifies you? What exactly are you scared of?
    He was definitely sober when he asked me out and said that he liked me. I'm terrified because i only ever went on one date in my life, and that was a disaster. The thought of dating and the expectations of what you're supposed to do on a date and the awkward silences and everything terrifies me.

lalalita Guest
    I wouldn't say anything to him. If he's interested, he would bring it up again on his own without you having to organize anything for him.

Quote Originally Posted by lidi View Post
    I'm terrified because i only ever went on one date in my life, and that was a disaster. The thought of dating and the expectations of what you're supposed to do on a date and the awkward silences and everything terrifies me.
    Oh you poor lamb. Just imagine, there were people younger than you who went off to fight the Nazis in world war 2. There are people younger than you who have sailed single handed across the Atlantic ocean. And you're scared of a date. Buy a cat and stay single.

He was definitely sober when he asked me out and said that he liked me. I'm terrified because i only ever went on one date in my life, and that was a disaster. The thought of dating and the expectations of what you're supposed to do on a date and the awkward silences and everything terrifies me.
    So if your first job sucks, are you going to be unemployed for the rest of your life?
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    So if your first job sucks, are you going to be unemployed for the rest of your life?
    As the old saying goes 'if at first you don't succeed, give up'.

But I thought you were friends and you like hanging out with him. Surely there were no "awkward silences" during your hanging out as simple friends or you wouldn't keep doing it. No? A date is no different except in intention.

You are working yourself up for nothing... just go viewing it as any other time you've hung out except this time he'll probably be holding your hand while you do it. You don't have to do anything with him in a sexual sense until you're ready and sure that he's the one you want to do those things with.

Stop freaking YOURSELF out. Email, text or phone him and have some small talk until you eventually say: "So when are we going on that date?"

Quote Originally Posted by lalalita View Post
    I wouldn't say anything to him. If he's interested, he would bring it up again on his own without you having to organize anything for him.
    This ^^^ is simply NOT true. It's 2014 and you can certainly follow up on his original invitation. It's when you're doing ALL OF THE initiating that shows you that he's not interested.
    Last edited by Wakeup; 17-04-14 at 07:08 AM.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    But I thought you were friends and you like hanging out with him. Surely there were no "awkward silences" during your hanging out as simple friends or you wouldn't keep doing it. No? A date is no different except in intention.

You are working yourself up for nothing... just go viewing it as any other time you've hung out except this time he'll probably be holding your hand while you do it. You don't have to do anything with him in a sexual sense until you're ready and sure that he's the one you want to do those things with.

Stop freaking YOURSELF out. Email, text or phone him and have some small talk until you eventually say: "So when are we going on that date?"

This ^^^ is simply NOT true. It's 2014 and you can certainly follow up on his original invitation. It's when you're doing ALL OF THE initiating that shows you that he's not interested.
    Thanks so much for that! He ended up messaging me again and we've organised it. I'm terrified, but hopefully it'll be alright

Thanks so much for that! He ended up messaging me again and we've organised it. I'm terrified, but hopefully it'll be alright
    Awesome. Let us know how it goes. We're rooting for you.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion