+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Older Woman Dating Younger Man

snckrs Guest

Older Woman Dating Younger Man

Snckrs here. I am a new member to LoveForum.net. I have a question for everyone. What is your personal opinion of a older woman dating a younger man. Even an older woman and a younger man getting married. Now I am not talking about just two years older. Im talking like seven plus years older. Mainly 10 to 20 years older. I am curious as to what members of Love forum think of this situation. All opinions welcome.
    Snckrs

It strongly depends on the ages of the persons involved. For example, if he is 40 and she is 50, it seems ok to me. If he is 20 and she is 40, hell no. Basically the younger the youngest person is, the worse the situation.

snckrs Guest
    Okay, Thanks for posting. May I ask why you feel this way?

"Dating" a younger man? lol
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I'm 6 years older than my husband....no problems here. It all depends on expectations, interests, lifestyle, and additude. He gets upset at my immature ways sometime lol.

Would I date someone 30? no, 32/33 maybe, 35? yes. I would try to draw the line at around 15 years. I think any younger would be ridiculous.

I wouldn't be surprised a lot of people here going against it (regardless if the female or the male is the older one), saying you should be able to find someone suitable within a logical age range (which is true).

But personally I have no problem with that, in fact, I was with a woman 17 years older than me for two years. If there is good chemestry, it works for a while. But sooner or later problems will arise, most commonly there are three major issues I can think of:
    1 - What to expect in the future: when one is 20 and the other is above 35, it's ok. But what happens when one turns 30 and the other one is 45? and then 45 vs 60? Are both wanting to have a family and kids of their own? Will the younger one stand the age degeneration thats coming faster on his/her partner than themselves?
    2 - Negative feedback from friends and families: Family will be very judgmental. The older partner will likely have kids of his/her own, and the younger one will have pissed-off parents. Plus it'll feels awkward to relate with friends, on both ends.
    3 - The possibility of insecurity, specially for the older partner who might feel at a constant threat of younger males/females, and maybe embarrasment on both ends as well.

Personally, I'd say it's awesome to have an older partner when you are young, at least for a while. I enjoyed it while it last and accepted it to let go when the time came even though it wasn't easy, but we knew it was not built to last. It's a part of my life it's over, but I'll say this: I learned a great deal from her and experienced new things that I'm really glad I did. I loved her and I don't regret it one bit.

If you can do it, GO FOR IT! Life is too short. Enjoy and have fun! Men are doing it.. So why can't women do it. So much double standard in our society.

If the younger person is too much younger than the older person, it's wrong no matter the genders.

snckrs Guest
    Okay, so I must admit, I wanted to see what some of you thought in advance. The responses are what I expected and what I experienced. So gather around boys and girls, its story time.
    When I was in high school, there was this this one girl that I adored. I would always go out of my way to be kind towards her. But I never got up the nerve to ask her on a date. It is one of the only times in my life I have a regret, and think you stupid boy; what were you thinking. So this taught me that in matters of love and other matters of life, it is better to have asked and told no then to have never asked. So when I was 20, and my coworker(she was 40) and I started to develop feelings for eachother, I didnt want another regret in my life. So we started dating. And then got serious. We were together for a year. Midway through our relationship I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. She slowly started distancing herself from me. I think for her it was a relationship of convience. Everything that Kokombos said, I experienced in my relationship. I dont regret it at all. I learned alot, about myself. Learned that I am an extremely romantic man. Also that life is to short to have regrets. And to also be prepared for any curveball life can throw.

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    If the younger person is too much younger than the older person, it's wrong no matter the genders.
    Who cares as long as their happy??? You cannot measure happiness by the age difference. It's a matter of individual preference.

Yes, if they are both truly, genuinely happy, then I see nothing wrong with it. It just usually doesn't happen though.

snckrs Guest
    In these types of older younger relationships, alot of things must go right. The odds of that happening are slim. But when the slim chances pull through, and the couple makes it work, I am extremely happy for them. Tho I also understand why people think it is wrong to be in a relationship with that wide of age difference. The sad part was that when my ex and I were together and were some place public; non traditional couples looked at us with judging faces. That I could never understand. I remember one time while out, a 50 or so year old man and 25 or so year old woman, a couple(and yes they were a couple) looked at us like we were freaks. I never got that.

Yes, if they are both truly, genuinely happy, then I see nothing wrong with it. It just usually doesn't happen though.
    There are a lot of couples out there with a wide gap in their ages and couldn't be more happier. I guess you live in a very small and traditional world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snckrs View Post
    Tho I also understand why people think it is wrong to be in a relationship with that wide of age difference. The sad part was that when my ex and I were together and were some place public; non traditional couples looked at us with judging faces. That I could never understand. I remember one time while out, a 50 or so year old man and 25 or so year old woman, a couple(and yes they were a couple) looked at us like we were freaks. I never got that.
    Because people will always be judgmental... Don't worry about what other people think. Just do whatever makes you happy and enjoy it however long it last. It's hard to find love and if you find it with someone who's twice your age, I'd say go for it.

^^^ This ...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snckrs View Post
    She slowly started distancing herself from me. I think for her it was a relationship of convience.
    You think? Dear, if you were my son I'd have wanted to have her charged with sexual molestation. Of course I wouldn't because he'd not want that being of the age of consent and all.
    Same if you were a 20 year old daughter and a 40 year old man enjoyed you for a year.

Tell us, what is your sex/love life like now? Have you been able to form a long lasting, loving relationship that has lasted past the honeymoon stage? (asking seriously)
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

snckrs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    Tell us, what is your sex/love life like now? Have you been able to form a long lasting, loving relationship that has lasted past the honeymoon stage? (asking seriously)
    I have Fibromyalgia. Pretty much all of my relationships with people ended. Romantic or just friendships. After having a romantic relationship (my ex was my only romantic relationship), I crave to once again be in that type of relation. I love the romance, doing things for her, suprising her with flowers, leaving her notes, making her breakfast, romancing her. I miss the intimacy. Its like my heart has a hole in it, just waiting for the right woman and not just anyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast