+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is it too late to ask her out?

Is it too late to ask her out?

So a little about myself:
    I'm 24, just graduated art college and came out of it with only a few friends and many aquaintances. I'm living at home while I figure out what I want to do with the next few years of my life and working as a cashier at a grocery store.

I'm quite the antisocial type so my main social interaction comes from work where 95 % of the other employees who work as cashiers as well are 16 to 23 year old females. I've asked a few of them out over the years of working there but I have gotten a no every time. I have been in one relationship in my entire life. I met her at school and we dated for one month. All we did was kiss a few times and hold hands and I broke it off with her because she wasn't right for me.

My confidence level is admittedly quite low and a lot of it comes from my physical appearance as I'm just barely 5'8", skinny with small bone structure to boot. I'm not abnormally small, just below average. There isn't anything particularity attractive about me. THis is compounded by the fact that I feel like I've been coasting my whole life, waiting for things to happen and not taking action because I'm too afraid to take risks.

On the positive side though, I'm kind and have grown much more capable of interacting with new people after working a job that demands it. Also I think I'm a pretty good digital painter and it's something that I'm passionate about. If you want to see my gallery, search ricochet188 and deviantart into google

======

So. My problem is that since i don't get many opportunities to meet women I feel like I can't let a chance pass when there may be some potential there. I'll make this as short as possible.

There is a very attractive girl who I had seen ride the same bus as me every week early in the morning when every I had morning classes at school. I'd seen her for at least two years catch this early bus. I live in a small beach suburb area and she gets on the bus a little up the road from my stop. I had always wondered where she went every morning because she would get off at the same stop as me all the way down town but instead of heading toward the school, she would head the opposite direction.

One afternoon last october (yes a long time ago) I was manning my cash register at work waiting for customers and she popped up. As I was ringing her stuff through I told her I used to see her on the bus every morning over the last year and asked where she went, she told me she works at an animation studio downtown and she draws and animates. I asked if she went to school for this and she told me she graduated the same art college I was just about to graduate.

She left, and since then I had vowed that i would go up to her next time I saw her and introduce myself formally and maybe ask her for coffee. (Though I should mention at this point in October I hadn't seen her catch the early bus for a long time, maybe since the beginning of summer)

A week later, I caught the morning bus as I normally do and then suddenly she got on at her stop. I was so surprised to see her and the thought of going up to her made me so nervous that I shut down and didn't do anything. So I vowed to do it the following week. But again, I didn't, I was too nervous.

This went on for months, every week I would find a new excuse to say "I'll talk to her tomorrow, or next week, or eventually"

Now I've graduated and don't catch the bus anymore and I still haven't said anything to her. I don't know what's wrong with me, and the more I think about it the more sad and angry it makes me.

A few weeks ago I did talk to a woman who I have seen talking to this girl many times at the bus stop before they get onboard. I asked if she knew the girls name and she said she didn't but she said she'd mention to the girl that I was asking about her. Like I said, I havent' been catching the bus anymore so I haven't seen either of them since so I don't know what the deal is.

--------

If you read all that thank you! But now i need advice. Is it too late to do anything about this? Could I approach this girl without it being weird? It seemed like such an amazing coincidence that this girl i'd been crushing on just so happened to have graduated from my school AND is an artist type like me. But I'm horrified my lack of confidence has ruined any chance I have of at least asking her out.

==> I guess I should also mention that (if I can muster the courage) I was planning on get up after she sits down in her seat and going up to her and asking if I could join her. Then I'd introduce myself and whatnot. After the bus stops we'd get off and before we part ways I'd ask her to join me for coffee.
    Last edited by Hazelnuttz; 20-05-14 at 03:17 AM.

First off, she may not clearly remember the conversation you two had in the grocery store but she may remember your face. If you do muster up enough courage to wait for that bus and talk to her just start off simple and remind her of when you met but not in a ton of detail. Maybe think of a question you can ask her about her job since you two have that in common. Like maybe ask if her company has job openings. Also try not to come off too strong because you are coming up behind her on the bus and I know that would startle me.

But please remember that you are only 24 and you don't need to rush yourself into a relationship just because you think you'll never find anyone else. Plus no girl wants to be someones gf just because he thought there was no one else out there.