+ Follow This Topic
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting things in the news

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    yeah well they hit a pretty bad storm.

where are you flying to? i'm also flying to new york next month, not overseas thankfully. that's scary.

but to put it all in perspective, hundreds of flights are flown every day.
    Chicago. I'll be there on the 27th. Strangely enough I'll be meeting up there with one of my friends from Sydney. I'll be seeing her this weekend and then again half way across the world. So weird, cause it was completely unplanned.

Hope you have a good flight Miso!
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

you too!

what will you be doing in chicago?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    yeah well they hit a pretty bad storm.
    The reports I'm reading now say it wasn't weather, likely a failure of some Airbus piloting system.

The pilots forum I looked at was initially showing these horrific weather maps in the area at the time the plane disappeared, but other pilots flying the other way have since said the weather wasn't nice but not extreme enough to drop a 330.

I was on an Airbus that had a small electrical fire (the A/C unit). I dunno about electric planes. I like solid, mechanical Boeing planes. If it works for Air Force One, it works for me.

Are you still going for glider lessons, Miso?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

yeah also they say the plane broke apart mid-air... a storm or electrical failure wouldn't do that i don't think. lots of planes go down because of pilot error unfortunately.

anyway i'd like to, but i haven't been able to afford it lately.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That plane nr Buffalo this year was pilot error, I thought. Iced wings and too slow airspeed ring a bell?

Get w/your bookkeeper & tell her to save you $$$ for flying for next year! And get the rest back from you know who, too.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    yeah also they say the plane broke apart mid-air... a storm or electrical failure wouldn't do that i don't think. lots of planes go down because of pilot error unfortunately.
    I dunno it was pilot error. Sounds like the comp that lets them fly close to ceiling failed & they weren't able to maintain the right air speed. Dark, stall and crap weather w/no computer = hooped, sounds like. Poor folks on the plane, that last minute must've really sucked.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    That plane nr Buffalo this year was pilot error, I thought. Iced wings and too slow airspeed ring a bell?

Get w/your bookkeeper & tell her to save you $$$ for flying for next year! And get the rest back from you know who, too.
    yeah, so was the one that hit queens in 2001. pretty bad. at least those people weren't so high in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I dunno it was pilot error. Sounds like the comp that lets them fly close to ceiling failed & they weren't able to maintain the right air speed. Dark, stall and crap weather w/no computer = hooped, sounds like. Poor folks on the plane, that last minute must've really sucked.
    you're on a pilot forum? that is cool. there's a member on youtube who puts up simulations of flight crashes and i always like to read what the pilots have to say about them.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Try as I might to despise humanity like a proper up-and-coming curmudgeon I can't help but give pause when I read stories such as this:

[url]http://gimundo.com/news/article/after-wwii-rescue-soldier-devotes-life-to-helping-his-saviors/[/url]
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    A *good* news site! Thanks for posting that, Grib, that was a nice story.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    you're on a pilot forum? that is cool. there's a member on youtube who puts up simulations of flight crashes and i always like to read what the pilots have to say about them.
    Just lurking. I'm not the pilot in the family (but we have 2, one private & one for a large commercial), but I was curious to see what they were saying.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

yeah i searched for one and lurked around in it last night.

i think the general consensus is that thunderstorms are no good for airplanes. also looked like they were boxed in with no way to get out of it safely. maybe they were trying to turn around and the lack of balance threw them out of control.

so sad.

on a lighter note my new accountant is great! she's going to help me amend last years taxes and get some money back. nice.

I saw the Airforce 1 take off today.

you have me afraid of airbuses now. one of those things is flying me all the way to dc.

one time i was on a plane and the pilot basically dropped the airplane when it was landing. i think bounced a few times what felt like 3 or 4 feet when we hit the ground. gawd i wanted to yell at that guy.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    you have me afraid of airbuses now. one of those things is flying me all the way to dc.
    Me? Sorry, Mis. I've flown tons of times on Airbus with out problems. That was just one thing that stuck out in my mind.

one time i was on a plane and the pilot basically dropped the airplane when it was landing. i think bounced a few times what felt like 3 or 4 feet when we hit the ground. gawd i wanted to yell at that guy.
    Yea, that sucks. I was on a flight returning to Boston & the AC co-pilot was young, just out of the military. That landing, while perfectly safe, was *very* aggressive & gave me many of the grey hairs I have today.

I was on another flight coming into Ohare, literally with wheels about to touch when the pilot suddenly opened full throttle. It was like the guy being pushed back into his seat in the old Memorex commercial.

Once we were airborne & circling, he explained there was another plane directly in our path on the runway ahead of us.

Both of those planes were Boeings.

But, I've flown a LOT. Most flights are uneventful. The way I see it, once you are up, there's nothing to do anyway but enjoy yourself. You'll be fine.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast