+ Follow This Topic
Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Human Trash

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by LailaK View Post
    You go ahead and send your kid to crap schools and don't send them to college. No skin off my back. When they end up stuck in a hell hole like New Orleans maybe they shouldn't complain as much as you do.

Did I say colleges gave a crap which high school kids went to? No. I believe I mentioned other factors that make wealthy schools awesome.
    Somebody is in a pissy mood today.

I think parents should prepare their kids for living life as an independent adult. If that means the kid wants to be a doctor (and has the capacity), and the parents can afford to help, they should. I don't really understand parents who refuse to help out a child who has potential, to be honest. And I don't understand being willing to watch your child accrue large debt if it can be avoided.

That said, I understand why a parent wouldn't want to fund the pursuit of a degree that will have little or no financial value. The pursuit of a degree in certain subjects is pretty much a guarantee the kid won't be financially independent as an adult.
    This is the point I was trying to make but it probably got lost amidst the conversation.

i am working full time and going to school at night PRESENTLY.
    Once again, probably because you chose to do so to achieve your goals, and not because your student counselor in highschool kept pressuring you to apply for colleges, as mine did.

if drugs and prostitution were legal i would have never needed to get a degree.

i'm on a dead kennedy's kick right now.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post

Your baby is gonna come out a punk rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post

My gf listened to a lot of Misfits and Micheal Jackson while she was pregnant and a lot of times she uses it as a lullaby now...for some reason she goes right to sleep when we play either of those.

When I was little my mom played me a lot of David Bowie and Pink Floyd....I love both to this day.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    What were their degrees in?
    There's the important question. Not every degree makes money. People go in there and get a degree in philosophy, or something, and expect to make lots of money with that. I like philosophy, too, but I took my philosophy courses for fun. If you want to make money, take lots of math and science courses.

I'm just lucky because math and science happen to be the things that I actually enjoy.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I grew up with a lot of traditional brazilian, and latino pop music when I grew up and still have a guilty pleasure for those kinds of music.

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post

Once again, probably because you chose to do so to achieve your goals, and not because your student counselor in highschool kept pressuring you to apply for colleges, as mine did.
    i wish someone had pushed me when i was younger, it is so much harder now.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    I grew up with a lot of traditional brazilian, and latino pop music when I grew up and still have a guilty pleasure for those kinds of music.
    why are you guilty about it? ain't nothing wrong with musica latina mijo!
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Er....

Kids have a better chance at getting into fancy schmancy colleges if they went to a high school with a good rep and great college prep courses.
    You can send your kids to schools with crappy teachers, facilities, programs etc. I'll send my kids to schools in wealthy neighborhoods, thanks.
    Did I say colleges gave a crap which high school kids went to? No. I believe I mentioned other factors that make wealthy schools awesome.
    Yes, you did actually^. Its not nearly as important as obsessive parents [who insist on throwing money at the the problem by signing their children up for elitist daycare and onward] think it is. It is far more important to have a home culture where creative and critical thinking is valued and encouraged. No school, no matter how well-funded, can replace parents actively involved in their children's education. Its much more important than what high school they attended. I suspect you never experienced a private school education to see just how NOT awesome these schools can be.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Yes, you did actually^. Its not nearly as important as obsessive parents [who insist on throwing money at the the problem by signing their children up for elitist daycare and onward] think it is. It is far more important to have a home culture where creative and critical thinking is valued and encouraged. No school, no matter how well-funded, can replace parents actively involved in their children's education. Its much more important than what high school they attended. I suspect you never experienced a private school education to see just how NOT awesome these schools can be.

Actually I was going to point out the same thing as you did yesterday until I carefully read her comment. She didn't say that colleges care what high school that kid goes to, rather that some schools have better prep courses that (if taken advantage of by the student) will give the student a bit of an edge over others. My high school offered advanced placement classes that were taught outside of the school in a local college. Just going to the school that I went to wouldn't be enough (although it was a bit difficult to get into the high school that I went to), getting the grades to qualify for the AP classes and then completing them successfully was the key. In fact the AP classes counted toward high school and college credit simultaneously. Now THAT looks good when applying to colleg. Not which high school you went to, but which courses were offered that prove you are a great student and can handle the rigors of college education.

As a side note I DO agree that there are way too many parents who are overly willing to simply throw money at institutions and facilites instead of taking a hands on approach. 'Smart Start Baby Einstein Daycare' isn't likey to do anything more than a parent can even though enrollment costs as much as college tuition. Parents need to teach the basics and set a foundation that encourages a will to learn. If that is successfully done then it may be advantageous to invest in the childs higher education if they have the drive and will to complete it.
    Last edited by Incognito; 11-05-10 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Additional comment.
    ...one can be sure of nothing until it has already happened...

^^^At least someone here practices the reading comprehension they learned in school.

Indie, If you're going to ignore the factors that I pointed out that make wealthy schools awesome I'm going to ignore the points you're making too. Turn about is fair play.

I never mentioned a private school education, btw. I mentioned wealthy schools ie schools in wealthy and/or well to do areas. I've gone to both private schools and public schools and I personally prefer public schools as long as they are well funded. You'd be surprised if you look deeper into what some of these schools offer. Not all public schools are cut from the same cloth. There are public schools that offer above and beyond the norm in terms of education and they can do so because of the funds they rake in from testing and because of donations from parents.

I had College Prep and AP course, I traveled to other countries in high school through sports and art events and I created an AWESOME college application which allowed me to go to an excellent college practically for free. My parents didn't have to pay a dime for my education. Oh, and my parents are pretty much hippies. They only ever encouraged me to do my best and be happy, they weren't sticklers for straight A's. I was hard on myself and competitive with my classmates and I reaped the rewards and I'm still reaping them to this day.

My kids will be on the same track I was. I don't really care what they end up doing as long as they are happy, productive, lawful individuals but I want them to have choices so it will be my job as a parent to set them up for success.

But as I mentioned before, send your kid to crap, poor schools. Limit their options from the get go and make life harder for them. No skin off my back.
    Last edited by LailaK; 12-05-10 at 01:02 AM.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    IMO, if a kid is dumb, even the best High school with the best preparation course will not help him/her get to a good university or to know how to live on their own. I have a friend,her mother is willing to pay every money to make her graduate and be able to live a good life, she was paying for private teachers,private courses etc , but it couldn't save her child from the need to ask me on SAT for the answers.
    She's on the university and she's still asking others to help her.

My point is, if the child is dumb, there's no money that can buy wisdom or intelligence
    I wazzzz here

^^^ You're right PP. But even dumb idiots deserve options. Maybe if she's pretty she can be a model. Or her parents can marry her off.

My best friend is Asian and her parents are at their wits end. They have a lovely daughter, Berkeley educated, good job, started making good money right out of college. She's a United States citizen but she's moving back to Asia next month so she can help her parents pay off their mortgage and line up their investments so they can retire early. They never really pushed her to do any of this. She was the girl, it was unexpected of her to be extraordinary in any way. Now their son is the little prince. They gave him everything, top notch education at a high-brow boarding school. Tutors, private lessons, personal encouragement (that they never showed their daughters) you name it but it didn't change the fact that he's stupid. He didn't get into a single college he applied to because he was too busy having sex with girls to study in high school. Her mom recently mentioned that my friend should have been the son and the boy should have been the girl so they could just marry him off and be done with the hassle. Harsh but interesting logic.

My goal is to work hard so that I can provide for my parents. I want them living cushy for the rest of their lives. I want to thank them for being wonderful to me by providing them with everything they need and spoiling them. That's my motivation. I kind of agree with my friends super harsh Asian mom. A stupid kid is a wasted investment.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    She's pretty, her vagina is open wide , still her mother still believes she can get a good degree and that there is some intelligence in her head.
    If someday I will see that my child is really, like totally dumb, I will not try hard to push my child through university and all. I know there is no money that can buy brain, so why wasting money? If I wil see that my child is smart and willing to study a lot to get a better future, I will give my support as much as I will be able to. But, dumbasses don't deserve support - why?- because mostly they use the support in a totally different (bad) way .
    I wazzzz here

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    But as I mentioned before, send your kid to crap, poor schools. Limit their options from the get go and make life harder for them. No skin off my back.
    I'm still trying to figure out why you mentioned it in the first place.

Did anyone say they intended on enrolling their children in inadequate, underfunded schools?

Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast