+ Follow This Topic
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: [News] Obama signs historic healthcare reform into law

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Durian View Post
    I don't believe that your ethically fit to teach impressionable young children.
    I'm not insulting you, Doc. Do not try and insult me it just makes you look stupid. I agree with some others who have stated: if you don't like democracy, take a hike.

Quote Originally Posted by LailaK View Post
    Yes. A state that once boasted the 5th largest economy in the world is broke. I realize that everyone takes a hit. Unfortunately every time we turn around they're taking more and more money away from education.

In 2009, in states where the adult population has at least a high school education, California ranked 49th out of 50 states. o.O One of the most productive states in the country has the second to worst standing in education. This may be ok with some but it is not ok with me.

If it means that they can't afford to pay you as a teacher who teaches young children that it's okay to steal and put your neighbour in a police state cage... I'd say it was money well not spent.

I'm not insulting you, Doc. Do not try and insult me it just makes you look stupid. I agree with some others who have stated: if you don't like democracy, take a hike.
    You insult yourself as a supposed educated individual.

The US is a limited democracy. Perhaps you'd like to look it up.

Telling me that you don't care that I'm pissed off over being robbed by people you support is as insulting as one could get.

If it means that they can't afford to pay you as a teacher who teaches young children that it's okay to steal and put your neighbour in a police state cage... I'd say it was money well not spent.
    I'm not a teacher anymore. I'm just a "heartless" business woman who gets paid 3 times more and happily pays her taxes so the government can support things like healthcare and education. Unlike some, I don't mind chipping into the pot to help support society.

Oh, and I still don't care about your opinion or "facts".

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yes. A state that once boasted the 5th largest economy in the world is broke. I realize that everyone takes a hit. Unfortunately every time we turn around they're taking more and more money away from education.

In 2009, in states where the adult population has at least a high school education, California ranked 49th out of 50 states. o.O One of the most productive states in the country has the second to worst standing in education. This may be ok with some but it is not ok with me.
    Ranked 49th out of 50 states AT WHAT? Certainly not higher education - the UC system is fantastic, and includes the top-ranked public university in the world, and our community college system is the best in the nation (and compared to other states, grossly underpriced). You must be referring to the K-12 system, and as I said before, there are just too many dumb kids with lazy parents to fix that problem. Additionally, when you have such a large non-English speaking immigrant population that values other things MORE than education, there isn't any amount of money that can fix your problem.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Where's the ignore button on this page?

I'm finished with that swine of a human being. She is obviously an indifferent and morally defunct mind of limited reasoning capabilities.

Good riddance.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm not a swine, regardless of my limited reasoning capabilities.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I'm not a swine, regardless of my limited reasoning capabilities.

Not you, silly.

Ranked 49th out of 50 states AT WHAT? Certainly not higher education - the UC system is fantastic, and includes the top-ranked public university in the world, and our community college system is the best in the nation (and compared to other states, grossly underpriced). You must be referring to the K-12 system, and as I said before, there are just too many dumb kids with lazy parents to fix that problem. Additionally, when you have such a large non-English speaking immigrant population that values other things MORE than education, there isn't any amount of money that can fix your problem.
    Yes, I am only referring to the K-12 system. The UC system is much more stable. They can raise the yearly rates they charge students where public K-12 schools can not. I'm not going to argue with you on the fact that there are some dumb kids and lazy parents. I agree with you on that point. I would argue that it's not just immigrants who don't value education. 49th out of 50 is a shame. Personally I think California can do better but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by LailaK; 29-03-10 at 01:18 PM.

Where's the ignore button on this page?

I'm finished with that swine of a human being. She is obviously an indifferent and morally defunct mind of limited reasoning capabilities.

Good riddance.
    You're a fool who relies on insults when people don't agree with your garbage. I'm done with you as well. Huzzah!
    Last edited by LailaK; 29-03-10 at 01:15 PM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I would argue that it's not just immigrants who don't value education. 49th out of 50th is a shame. Personally I think California can do better but that's just my opinion.
    That's not an argument. That's obvious.

And I don't really think we can do better, nor could anyone else with the population that we have.

The fact that our K-12 system does so poorly compared to our universities tells me that if anything, we must stop trying to push uninterested kids through high school. Let them go on to trade schools.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Not you, silly.
    I know. I'm just being a smartass.

That's not an argument. That's obvious.

And I don't really think we can do better, nor could anyone else with the population that we have.

The fact that our K-12 system does so poorly compared to our universities tells me that if anything, we must stop trying to push uninterested kids through high school. Let them go on to trade schools.
    Well, here's to hoping that we can do better. I'm passionate about education and I refuse to give up on California's kids. There's a lot of kids out there who want to learn and succeed. They deserve a lot better.

I'll continue to write, protest, and volunteer my time to support California public schools.

Sure thing, thief

You'd be surprised how many uninterested kids become interested when they have positive after school programs, decent facilities and teachers, and positive role models in their lives. Self esteem is a large issue with kids today. Many of them feel that they are not smart enough and don't deserve success. Their surroundings reinforce that everyday. Kids are kids. Many are products of their environments. Give them something they can be proud of and you'd be surprised at how they flourish.

I'm not saying trade school shouldn't be an option. It should be, high school isn't for everyone. There's just more to the problem I see than "Kids aren't interested in education".

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast