+ Follow This Topic
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anybody else feel particularly patriotic on July 4th?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    well indi i'm not dissapointed in your behavior, just surprised that you can be so insulting and ignorant all because you 'think' you are right. i've told you the difference and wiki has too, i know and so does every irish person from 'ireland' and the other different country to Ireland called the UK that are owning 'northern ireland' know the difference and i assume most intelligent educated people know...except you i gather...or maybe that's just your pride...
    Where does it say in wiki there is ONE Ireland? Can you please post the link with that section quoted?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

northern ireland is an area owned by the UK, Ireland is Ireland. i posted links and so did you, you just can't seem to understand. which is the surprising part. anyway you've been nothing but disgustingly insulting, i actually am amazed at some of your comments which honestly were completely uncalled for. so gfy
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    So, bottom line is: if someone says they are Irish, this means they are from... where?

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    northern ireland is an area owned by the UK, Ireland is Ireland. i posted links and so did you, you just can't seem to understand. which is the surprising part. anyway you've been nothing but disgustingly insulting, i actually am amazed at some of your comments which honestly were completely uncalled for. so gfy
    Eco, you said wiki says there is ONE Ireland. I have asked specifically for the quote/link. Please post it, or you are full of shit. I have read the link (I was the one originally posted it) and it does NOT state what you claim. Sorry.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    are there North Irish? UK Irish?
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

if they say they are irish living in the states, they are irish and your point?
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i'll wait for the smarter people to respond.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Just like N/S Korea, E/W Germany, etc. Yes, Eco, we get it. You are not helping the stereotype of the dumb Irish AT ALL.

If you want to make a distinction b/t political vs. geographical boundaries, that is fine, but just say so & make your point CLEARLY. Don't make a big argument out of nothing next time.
    This is the only post that matters. Eco refuses to acknowledge it or explain why Korea, Germany, Ireland are different. Until she can explain herself, there's no point. She doesn't want to admit it depends on the context of the question which, when asked of her (b/c I *asked*), she refused to explain. Its that 'sad and alone and cranky on a Saturday night thing I mentioned. She's still bitter about it.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    are there North Irish? UK Irish?
    Apparently, if they say they are 'Irish' this means they are from the Republic of Ireland. Like I said, I know my friend from Belfast would find that offensive.

See how she won't answer the question, tho?

Come on Eco, now Dig wants to know too. Are there N.Irish & UK Irish? LOL. Or are they all 'Irish" b/c there's just ONE Ireland? So, what about N.Ireland then?
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Do people actually say, I am north or south Korean? or are they all Korean?

I don't say I am a soviet, even though I was born in the USSR. I still say I am Russian.

We were taught in grade school to refer to them as Ireland and Ulster, from what I recall. I could be wrong, mind you.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Durian View Post
    We were taught in grade school to refer to them as Ireland and Ulster, from what I recall. I could be wrong, mind you.
    At this point, I am happy to get a straight answer. LOL. So, what do the folks in N.Ireland call themselves? Are they Irish, or not? There's no such 'I'm UKish'. Anymore than a Scot or a Welsh person might call themselves that.

Do people actually say, I am north or south Korean? or are they all Korean?
    I'm not Korean, but I would guess they *call* themselves all Korean. But, if asked *where* they come from, they might specify N/S (or not). They probably wouldn't freak out if you asked *which* Korea they were from, tho. They would probably understand you knew there was a North/South.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 08-07-09 at 04:31 AM.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    So, what do the folks in N.Ireland call themselves? Are they Irish, or not?
    I've always wondered this too... would someone from Belfast say "I'm from Northern Ireland" or "I'm from Ireland"?

They would say they are from Northern Ireland and are British citizens.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    I've always wondered this too... would someone from Belfast say "I'm from Northern Ireland" or "I'm from Ireland"?
    I've never asked my friend that (from Belfast). I will when I see her next. But I do know she says she is Irish. She sounds like it too.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicy View Post
    They would say they are from Northern Ireland and are British citizens.
    Isn't one British only if you come from England, Scotland or Wales? I thought Northern Ireland was the 4th that made up 'UK', but not Britain?

Hey, apparently its both! From N.Ireland one can have a British or Irish passport. LOL.

But, here again it depends on what one is discussing. N. Ireland is distinct from Britain, proper.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_of_Great_Britain_and_Northern_Irela nd[/url]
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 08-07-09 at 04:46 AM.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast