+ Follow This Topic
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: What'cha Reading?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Remember in Meet the Fockers where they were "Ferburizing" that baby by leaving him alone and teaching him to "self-sooth" when he was crying? Attachment style is pretty much the opposite of that.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_parenting]Attachment parenting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
    That is one of the few movies that gave me a sore belly from laughing. Best since Python.

FWIW, I agree with the self-soothing, but not for an infant. They need to be beyond basic instinct-driven crying. 1.5 - 2 years is about right IMO.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    I think his belief that it's best for a baby to sleep in a room by itself is just plain wrong and unnatural. I'm not a proponent of the whole family bed thing, but my son will be sleeping in our room and won't feel abandoned at night. I just think it's weird to isolate them.
    Agreed, but again here is an example of an 'expert' who doesn't seem to understand human social history. Human babies were NEVER alone, even if their parents weren't around. Think hunter-gatherer society. They would have been surrounded by the other children of the tribe, in a type of creche. So, with our present family structure and shinkage, I think its fine to keep you baby near you. I wasn't keen on the same bed thing, except when he was really little (and I was exhausted) but we had a bassinette next to the bed in direct contact with each other and then a crib in the same room. When he would cry out a bit unsettled, I would make soothing murmur noises that would calm him down.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314