+ Follow This Topic
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Apologists for Evil

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Pretty sure I agree with you Ygg^.
    Right, never mind Indi, I was quite tired when I wrote that and misunderstood your reply partialy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    What if you saw a guy wear regular clothing, would you be calling police as well? Why not? His clothing was made in a sweat shop in a third world country and children died making it, surely if Hijab is symbol of rape then his clothing is a symbol of slavery and child labour. So at which point do you stop, where do you draw the line?
    Well, I would call the cops if I saw a man abusing his wife. I have, in fact AND I took the battered wife in.

I was witness to child abuse/neglect & I got involved in that as well.

This is in addition to my regular community service, which is considerable by most standards. I sit on the Exec of a couple of community groups and I am involved in my city counsel.

How about you, Mish? Or you Eco? All your ideals, but what actions have you actually TAKEN to improve society?

FWIW.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

i don't give them respect in any real sense. unless they deserve it of course, which some do coz they are not all arseholes. but a lot are. i have no principles when it comes to authority figures. i let them 'have' their moment and then i do what i want all coz i 'agree' with them. once they hear 'yes sir' you can do what you intended to do. i remember cops pulled me over for illegally driving over a bridge to avoid traffic-no harm to anyone but just illegal. i did my usual and agreed and then illegally drove off down the bus lane all the way home with a smile on my face. they didn't come after me all coz i agreed with them while many others who got caught got tickets and had to sit there and listen to their power speech.

i was in the states for a year
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oh. Well, I lived there for 8 years & my experience was quite different from yours. I found most of the police to be very busy, a bit tough (necessary) but professional.

i have no principles when it comes to authority figures.
    This doesn't surprise me at all, Eco. No doubt b/c you've never had the experience of actually being in that responsible position.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 01-08-09 at 11:21 AM.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

How about you, Mish? Or you Eco? All your ideals, but what actions have you actually TAKEN to improve society?

FWIW.

actually i walked from a good paying job and went broke due to my ideals. not into saying how good i am, but i am trying. i have made a difference to quite a few people but i don't want to talk about it because i feel it devalues it
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

This doesn't surprise me at all, Eco. No doubt b/c you've never had the experience of actually being in that responsible position.
    i have actually,. that's why i don;t disrespect them all, just the arseholes, i smugly laugh to myself

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    actually i walked from a good paying job and went broke due to my ideals.
    That is something you did for yourself, not for others.

I think your vision is seriously limited, Eco. In order to help others, you must first be in a position to help yourself. EVERY social improvement in history has had wealthy/powerful people or groups to help them.

Still, there are ways to gain power & wealth without selling your soul to do so. I agree that much. Martyrdom is just stupid, tho, IMO.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    i have actually,. that's why i don;t disrespect them all, just the arseholes, i smugly laugh to myself
    Being a daycare worker isn't quite the same thing, Eco. How about the power to kill (or save) or make a decision that will get someone fired and remove that families livelihood? Or destroy someone's education and future job prospects? Or trash hundreds/thousands of ppls retirement fund?
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

^^was that an attempt at a joke?

actually it did make me laugh.

and yep you are 100 percent right, i did do it for myself. i wanted to do the right thing instead of just talking about doing the right thing. i am in the right position now.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You must work for a non-profit. LOL.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

laugh all you want indi. i don't see sittin on your arse passing money on to a charity that swallows up the money that doesn't filter down as actually helping....jus' sayin'

i don't work for anyone but myself and that's the beauty

Actually Eco, I own IP that I *give away* through the non-profit I created. If you could google, you'd shit your pants.

But, I could only do it because I'm wealthy enough from other things I do.

But, you know, people like me don't really exist, do they? Smart people, I mean.

Yes, I do laugh at you Eco. You have no strategy for actually achieving any of the high-ideals you claim to support.
    you *give away*, well that sounds good, maybe you're on the road to recovery from trying to be the *best* or maybe not with all your giggling..

i know where you are coming from btw, a lot of people do a LOT of good that way, i don't deny it. BUT a lot of people say they do a lot but it doesn't end up doing as much as it should, hopefully you're not one of those

i do have a strategy and hopefully my dream will come true. i feel i'm doing the 'right' way. i don't have to compromise myself
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 01-08-09 at 11:59 AM.

Well, I would call the cops if I saw a man abusing his wife. I have, in fact AND I took the battered wife in.

I was witness to child abuse/neglect & I got involved in that as well.

This is in addition to my regular community service, which is considerable by most standards. I sit on the Exec of a couple of community groups and I am involved in my city counsel.

I wasn't questioning your contributions Indi, just showing that it's not a simple issue and that outrage in many cases is misplaced.

But just for the record, I've done volunteer work, supported and participated in various community campaigns, I subscribe to homeless magazine and I have wired donations going to Red Cross every month. Not because I want to look like a good person, but because I care about these things, though probably not enough.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

mish i i i i actually think i'm falling in love with you.

you're a lovely guy. you have a great perspective on life, i wish more guys were like you.
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 01-08-09 at 12:14 PM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I wasn't questioning your contributions Indi, just showing that it's not a simple issue and that outrage in many cases is misplaced.

But just for the record, I've done volunteer work, supported and participated in various community campaigns, I subscribe to homeless magazine and I have wired donations going to Red Cross every month. Not because I want to look like a good person, but because I care about these things, though probably not enough.
    I know this Mish, I just wanted to make the point that talk is cheap. As I told you, I think you will actually go far. You do what you can, and that is admirable. I wasn't nearly so active in such things at your age.

Just avoid the parasites without a plan. They will suck you down.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast