+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boyfriend will become an illegal alien unless I marry him...

it's a "turn off" to many guys when you've been married and now a divorcee, might scare a lot of guys off...

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    I should've had his ass sent home. Don't do it. It's not worth the stress even if he pays you. You'll always be worried about immigration doing some type of an 'audit' into the circumstances. You wouldn't believe the shit I had to do to prove our relationship and marriage were' legitimate'. Six years of my life wasted.
    Pay close attention to this^.

Why on earth would you decide to marry someone right after they drop a bomb on you? This really seems like a good decision?

Three months is such a short time. You are still well in the honeymoon phase and don't really know this guy. Also, consider he certainly would have known about his visa issue when you met. He could certainly be having you on. You say you are experienced, but you don't seem to be able to think objectively on this one. Listen to what the others are telling you. Remember: experience comes AFTER you get burned.

See what he says if you tell him you are unsure about marrying him. Watch for any changes in his behaviour.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

sadie_genie Guest
    Of course you DON'T do it! Don't get entangled with business you don't need to be. You don't know the legal and economic consequences that comes along with marrying this guy whom you just dated for 3 months. He may as well be a con-artist. You don't know.

Everyone on this board has told the OP to not do it. Seems like she is leaning towards doing it anyways....
    I think what is more important to the OP is having security (a steady man) even if it has to be a marriage for citizenship. She is so desperate to have a boyfriend and someone who loves her that she is willing to go against her gut feelings in hopes this 3 month fling will turn into a "happily ever after" marriage.

There is no need to be so rude and condescending. You don't know me or what my gut feelings are, at all. You are way out of line. And FYI I was quite happy being single before this guy came along, - I am not desperate to have a boyfriend at all.

And I am not deaf to the points that people are raising. The only thing I am determined not to listen to are garbage arguments like "in the US and Canada you would have to be financially responsible for him, so it's probably the same in Australia, nevermind that you've looked into how it actually is"

I'm not leaning either way at the moment, I am just trying to keep the discussion based on the actual situation. Eg I felt I needed to restate that I have nothing to lose financially and that I don't believe in "the sanctity of marriage". But I am truly grateful to everyone that has read and considered all these facts and raised their points based on these
    Last edited by Vegemite; 10-12-11 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
    Everyone on this board has told the OP to not do it. Seems like she is leaning towards doing it anyways....
    I think what is more important to the OP is having security (a steady man) even if it has to be a marriage for citizenship. She is so desperate to have a boyfriend and someone who loves her that she is willing to go against her gut feelings in hopes this 3 month fling will turn into a "happily ever after" marriage.
    Keep in mind she came here for advice not for someone to make the decision for her and to be honest I doubt there are many people here that would put more weight on the opinions of strangers than their own feelings. It looks like feelings are winning out as they commonly do.

To the OP Vegemite, its really a crapshoot but you need to be damn sure how you feel about someone marrying them that quickly. I had always set rules for myself about being in a relationship 2 years before I thought about marriage and I followed them.... until I met my wife and as hard as I tried to follow them I couldn't because I knew what she meant to me, we were engaged 3 months after meeting and married 7 months after we met. It's been great only one or two fights here and there but that's not to say the same will happen for you and as many have said divorces no matter how simple are sloppy, stressful messes no matter what.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12