+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaking English/Engrish!

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeral Dream View Post
    Not even close.
    Agreed. Never tried to learn Japanese, but German has a LOT of similarities to English. They don't call English a "germanic" language for no reason.

TheKissPolice - the best way to get better at speaking a language is by speaking it as much as possible. It DOESN'T MATTER if your syntax is bad - people will understand you anyway. The more you speak to other people and listen to them, the more random useful things you will learn about the language and soon you will become used to using them yourself, but the only way to do it is PRACTICE.

If you can find something similar, I recommend a Tandem program, where you can be paired with an English speaker who's learning Japanese, and spend half your time together speaking English, half in Japanese. That way you both get to practice, and it's a pretty low-pressure situation. I have two such partners for German and even though I've gotten past the point (FINALLY) where I'm shy talking to new people because of the language barrier, it's very good to have someone who you know will help you and give you suggestions.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    Agreed. Never tried to learn Japanese, but German has a LOT of similarities to English. They don't call English a "germanic" language for no reason.

TheKissPolice - the best way to get better at speaking a language is by speaking it as much as possible. It DOESN'T MATTER if your syntax is bad - people will understand you anyway. The more you speak to other people and listen to them, the more random useful things you will learn about the language and soon you will become used to using them yourself, but the only way to do it is PRACTICE.

If you can find something similar, I recommend a Tandem program, where you can be paired with an English speaker who's learning Japanese, and spend half your time together speaking English, half in Japanese. That way you both get to practice, and it's a pretty low-pressure situation. I have two such partners for German and even though I've gotten past the point (FINALLY) where I'm shy talking to new people because of the language barrier, it's very good to have someone who you know will help you and give you suggestions.
    yes, if you look around on the internet for forums (if you spoke german you could go to [url]http://www.englisch-hilfen.de[/url]) and find people to chat with. many people want to also learn japanese, so you could do one of those things where they speak to you in japanese and you respond to them in english. i do that with many germans and russians.

Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post

nice,thanks
    "In 96 hours, Jack Bauer has killed 93 terrorists and saved the world 4 times. What the **** have you done with your life?"

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Do you have Teamspeak? Download that and we can talk, and you can try to learn from that.

I'm planning on learnin' Japanese in september and Italian during my leisure time.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiechi View Post
    I'm planning on learnin' Japanese in september and Italian during my leisure time.
    i tried to teach myself the japanese alphabet. i first learned hirogana, then katakana... and when i found out that there was a 3rd alphabet called "kanji" and it consisted of than 2000 letters, i said **** that.

Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    i tried to teach myself the japanese alphabet. i first learned hirogana, then katakana... and when i found out that there was a 3rd alphabet called "kanji" and it had more than 2000 letters, i said **** that.
    Great Lilwing, I'm looking well forward to Uni now haha.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

anachronistic Guest
    Great Lilwing, I'm looking well forward to Uni now haha.
    you're just graduating high school? aren't you like 24?

you might like the 2000 letter alphabet. with someone, like a college professor teaching you, also might make it more fun.

you're just graduating high school? aren't you like 24?

you might like the 2000 letter alphabet. with someone, like a college professor teaching you, also might make it more fun.

anachronistic Guest
    HAHAHA, that means you are in the same grade as me

HAHAHA, that means you are in the same grade as me
    Yeah, I don't see why that's funny though.

anachronistic Guest
    Yeah, I don't see why that's funny though.
    me neither. o_0

I want to learn German... I'm almost fluent in french... sort of anyway.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephemeral Dream View Post
    I want to learn German... I'm almost fluent in french... sort of anyway.
    :-/ I am fluent in german, so if you can speak a little german i can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Do you have Teamspeak? Download that and we can talk, and you can try to learn from that.
    dude i just downloaded it,its pretty cool
    "In 96 hours, Jack Bauer has killed 93 terrorists and saved the world 4 times. What the **** have you done with your life?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast