+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Care About What a Guy Does?

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I would never want a career in the medical field whatsoever. Infectious, dirty people puking and bleeding and spewing various other bodily fluids. No, thanks. I don't have the stomach for that.

I also have little patience for stupidity, IE drug addicts and people who injured themselves doing stupid, preventable things usually avoided with common sense.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I know it all looks so glamorous on TV, but really, doctors have to deal with the dregs of society every single day, and are always on call. They absolutely earn their money, in my opinion. I would never want that job.
    I keep telling DM this, but he won't listen.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Not really. As long as he's doing something with his life, it's fine.

I don't want kids or anything, so for right now money isn't a huge issue.

no people have to get out of this idea of status. it's a bullshit illusion. recently i was approached by a person who had what i consider the worst possible job and one that people are likely to judge him on. i had a date with him and discovered we had so much to talk about because he was in fact a qualified scientist and the conversation was all about history/science/religion. one of the best conversations i've had with a man since forever or even ever at all. unexpected. his chosen job right now makes sense for what he is doing right now.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

An Insular Yuppie Neighborhood in a Big American City
    I don't think it's a bullshit illusion as much as a decent, but not entirely reliable, indicator of their capability to have such a "deep" conversation. Of course, there will be outliers, such as the man you describe.

I know a young lawyer who is not a money-hungry, ego-centric, deceiving shark, but a REALLY intelligent person with his head screwed on, and a great sense of humour to boot. So he doesn't fit the stereotype, but the intelligence part is there, which you'd hope lawyers have.
    Generally speaking it's not really an illusion, all we have to do is be wary of stereotypes.

What about dating/marrying a soldier?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Stevens View Post
    Obviously, this will vary depending on the woman. Some will want a high net worth man, while others would gladly date a struggling academic. Preferences differ across the board.

But I'm curious for your personal take on this. How important is it? Do some professions turn you off? Why do you care? Is it merely because some professions are good indicators of other qualities (e.g., doctors are driven), or for other reasons, like that some men are more likely to be good providers?
    Well, right off the bat....there's this common misconception that the businessman is high net worth and the academic is struggling. The academic is generally NOT struggling...s/he is the high net worth individual...just the academic likes to pretend like s/he is "struggling." Hey, the voters already think that professors are over-paid, so why feed their opinions with facts? Just live "the life."

So, I don't know what girls think in terms of what a guy does....every one of them is different. But, generally, as is the case with men and women, they have very wrong-headed ideas about who's successful and who's not, assuming that is important to them.

Me? Thank god I'm just watching the game, controlling it

FYI--most mid-career and senior bureaucrats are making more moolah than the average businessperson. Yet, most people wrongly assume that the bureaucrat is some poor schmuck...nada. S/he is fully employed, full benefits, and good salaries.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy12 View Post
    What about dating/marrying a soldier?

Not for me, thanks. They move and are away from home too much. Plus there's always that chance they could die while on duty.

Kind of like cops. I would also not marry a cop. Besides the obvious job risks, a lot of them end up with severe mental problems, including substance abuse. They have one of the highest divorce rates of any profession.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'd marry a fireman. Yum. Plus, they are damned smart. Its not easy to become one. I know a couple people who tried and failed. All that chemistry and stuff they need to know, plus the physical requirements.

One of the few professions that is still a 'man's job'. Probably always will be.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah, I'd marry a fireman.

But......I'd have a bloody heart attack everytime he had to go put out a big fire. Shame to turn all that braun and brains into a crispy critter.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Good widow's benefits.

Seriously, tho, I don't think its all that dangerous provided they are reasonably smart. Of course, accidents & disasters (like 9-11) do happen.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've met two firefighters that were horribly disfigured in fires. As in, their faces looked like Freddy Kruger's. Maybe worse.

What about teachers/professors?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast