+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meaning of life

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGikhmjTSZI"]YouTube - Live is Life - Opus[/ame]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I don't really need for life to have "meaning".
    Spammer Spanker

People who ask themselves these questions never take a good look outside the window to enjoy the nature, that is this world.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    The fate of all life in this universe appears to be doomed as all biological life will eventually become unsustainable and extinct, be it through a Big Freeze, Big Rip or Big Crunch of the universe.

What does this mean to you and how does this affect your perception of life's meaning?
    It means, the sooner we figure out how to get off this rock the more choices we'll have and the better off we will be.

Then, we will be in an interesting situation. Because the evolution & development of our mind & intelligence will have far greater impact on us than mere dispersion of our DNA. Different selection criteria.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

The meaning of life in general is to replicate, futile or not. However, the mind that our bodies produced to help ensure survival long enough to pass on genes is beginning to take on a life of its own. For whatever reason, simple replication isn't enough. So in regards to the mind, the meaning of life is to find a worthwhile distraction that keeps us satisfied until we die.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeradalia View Post
    The meaning of life in general is to replicate, futile or not. However, the mind that our bodies produced to help ensure survival long enough to pass on genes is beginning to take on a life of its own.
    That's not quite what I'm saying, Dalia.

EDIT - okay, depending on what you mean, it might be what I said. Explain further?

For whatever reason, simple replication isn't enough.
    This is an interesting point. We are right at the threshold of having direct control over our replication, completely independent of evolved biology. What then?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Where I am from, we tend to say "In my opinion..."

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Everything is 'in my opinion'. Its like prefacing a statement with 'I think'. Obvious.

Unless its someone elses opinion or thought, what else?
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    It means, the sooner we figure out how to get off this rock the more choices we'll have and the better off we will be.

Then, we will be in an interesting situation. Because the evolution & development of our mind & intelligence will have far greater impact on us than mere dispersion of our DNA. Different selection criteria.
    You can't possibly imagine how much I want off this rock. How badly I want to explore the stars. I'd sell my soul this very instant for a one-way trip into the beyond.

I'm such a pessimist, though. I don't believe we'll ever manage to escape our solar system.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Are you talking about the meaning of life, or the purpose of life?

And is there a difference? (I say yes. And that you are all talking about the purpose of life.)

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    What's the meaning, then?
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    You can't possibly imagine how much I want off this rock. How badly I want to explore the stars. I'd sell my soul this very instant for a one-way trip into the beyond.

I'm such a pessimist, though. I don't believe we'll ever manage to escape our solar system.
    Ever read the Little Prince?
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    What's the meaning, then?

Why must it have a meaning? And if it really does have a meaning and you don't like it... what then?

I think the mystery to life's meaning is what makes it liveable.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    Are you talking about the meaning of life, or the purpose of life?

And is there a difference? (I say yes. And that you are all talking about the purpose of life.)
    No there isn't.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    Ever read the Little Prince?
    No, never read it. Though I wish I had.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast