+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling guilty after breaking from a 6 year relationship

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsybell View Post
    What you have to realize, mate, is that you are going through a grieving process every bit as valid as the hurt your ex is feeling and it will take time to pick up the threads of a new life with the absence of the qualities you valued. You cared for this girl in a real way or you would not have stayed as long as you did. And she was your friend as well as a mainstay of your everyday existence. In choosing to let her go instead of using her for a comfort zone, you have ultimately taken a brave step for your own life develpoment, plus done the hard yards for her. She may not see it that way at this point, but few relationships break up without warning. the odds are she felt the absence of spark in your relationship and was just settling for it, too. Mediocrity is not enough to build a life on. Don't be too hard on yourself, and don't undersetimate the power of nostalgia for comfort zone friendship that may draw on you to return to her if life doesn't deliver on cue. It would not work a second time, either. You thought long and hard before you ended it. It was the right decision, as much for her as yourself. Find a personal challenge (work, trip, sport) to tide you over the greiving period. A good tip to finding the person you seek is to be the person you want to be, If you are not, then work on it! I wish you well, The Gypsy.
    Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate it.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I posted something similar recently about this. There are many good people. But that by no means makes them all compatible with each other. If that were all it took to have a good relationship, you could just assign people randomly to each other and it would be honey and roses.

You two sound like great people but not compatible. There's no shame in that.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Yes it's very difficult, she and my mother are the only two that care about me. My ex and I get along very well, and I feel sometimes comfort around her, I just don't feel like being lovers in a boyfriend/girlfriend sense. Lately life has been tough for me in other areas of my life (work) and she is being very supportive which creates an avalanche of guilt. She still cares and wants me to be happy. I don't know what I'm doing anymore.

I greatly thank everyone for taking the time to read my problems and help me.

Quote Originally Posted by lostabroad View Post
    Hi AMDB5,

Having been on the other end of a tough break up recently, I do admire the fact that you stuck with it and tried for 2 years. My boyfriend told me after 1 week of seeing me that he didn't think it would work and we'd be unhappy together which broke my heart of course. My question for you is, do you ever foresee loving this girl in the future? I know it's a question that is probably impossible to answer. Is she usually the one contacting you right now or are you both? Do you think if she were to cut off all contact you'd want to still be around her?
    Thank you, It is an impossible question, she asked me herself, and I told her the same, I have no way of knowing, I don't know what can happen, I just follow my feelings. I do picture myself in the future, single. We both contact each other. When I'm alone I get very depressed and cry about how we use to be together and miss her loving care, sometimes I feel like I'm making a mistake, sometimes I feel I did the right thing.
    For some reason I have been feeling depressed lately, for a while I felt fine. Maybe it's my trouble at work so I need her comfort.

Thank you for the reply.
    Last edited by AMDB5; 21-09-11 at 03:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12