+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do people believe in love?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    There are also many people eating delicious 1/3 pounder Angus burgers at McDonalds
    Y'know, I have to say, those are pretty good.

^^ye know i agree DM and laughed at yours and gribbles responses but then i thought it's sad that we think like this and enjoy the power on top. like the natural person enjoys power over anybeing including humans, it's sad, but then that's just a pause in time of my thought, then i think about my next chicken meal, i won't think about this again. it's still a sad thought for a moment and that i can switch this feeling off the next moment.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Funny how people like to moan about how everybody else in the world is suffering, but aren't do anything to help improve the situation. I flew halfway across the world to donate my time and money to those less fortunate. Don't bitch unless you've done something to fix it.

As for love, who cares if it's a product of biology? It feels good to love and be loved. I'm not going to question it. I'm lucky to have it in my life when some people don't.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    Funny how people like to moan about how everybody else in the world is suffering, but aren't do anything to help improve the situation. .
    how do you know?

people may be moaning because they are doing this work and are frustrated that not more is done and that there is not more understanding out there.

some may consider it moaning and others may consider it raising awareness by trying to pull the heart strings of others..
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That's my experience, eco. 90% of the people that try to throw in arguments about the suffering of the world aren't doing anything about it. I don't think bitching about it creates awareness, I think doing something and leading by example does.

A lot of my friends run charity organizations, or have volunteered on projects around the world, worked hard, given back. I respect them for their efforts. They stand behind their convictions. Those people are the ones who inspire and create awareness.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

^^interesting, maybe that's true over there. most of the people i know who moan are just frustrated and are great examples of living well above the standard they wish for

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Y'know, I have to say, those are pretty good.
    Yep, I love to eat meat!!!!!!
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

Let me make it clear that I don't believe in love. Love is a myth. Love is like hunger, people need to have their needs satisfied so they invent ridiculous ideas like love.

My point is there is no such thing as love, there is only need.

Quote Originally Posted by uri View Post
    Let me make it clear that I don't believe in love. Love is a myth. Love is like hunger, people need to have their needs satisfied so they invent ridiculous ideas like love.

So what? On a biological level, love is driven by needs and drives that support natural selection by producing more survivability in our line of offspring over time ... i.e. sexual attraction. Big deal. That may make love less necessary than the more basic sex, but it doesn't make it any more of a myth than the basic biological drive to eat makes fancy restaurants a myth because all we really "need" to do is tear open an animal and eat the nutritious parts!

Humans, with our big brains, are the ultimate Value Added Resellers in matters of biological needs. We constantly try to enhance and add further meaning to our animal nature -- redefine it, so to speak -- so we can get more enjoyment from it.

So sure, we can satisfy mother nature by having lots of sex with sexy partners ... that's what all other animals do. Or we can construct the notion of love and integrate it into our lives by adding such biologically unnecessary foolishness like compassion, commitment, compromise, cooperation, caring, closeness, and compatibility.

All of these amazing attributes have been so well integrated into our being that love, itself, has become a human need. Love is not a myth, it's real, alive and well.

Carl.
    Last edited by carl1222; 05-09-09 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uri View Post

Did someone break your heart or something??

Its ok if you don't believe in love but you don't need to convince other people that it doesn't exist. Love existed,given people hope and support and something that almost everyone look forward to in the future and there is no harm in that. About poverty and other crisis, without pity and love and support do you really think we have all those aids out their?

About human nature to survive and have kids, that is not true. With all the resources out there, women and men do not need each other to conceive children by being in love. However, love helps build families. It is a foundation in building a strong partners and families.

We as human is not just an animal, even though we causes problems to other animals, we also helps taking care of other animals. The abilities to taking care of other species that isn't our own should prove to you that we are not just a simple animal like any other. We like it or not is special. I believe we are here not only to survive but help other species to survive as well.

Love isn't just I love you and you love me, it is much more than that and I'm a big believer....
    Last edited by lilac; 05-09-09 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carl1222 View Post
    So what? On a biological level, love is driven by needs and drives that support natural selection by producing more survivability in our line of offspring over time ... i.e. sexual attraction. Big deal. That may make love less necessary than the more basic sex, but it doesn't make it any more of a myth than the basic biological drive to eat makes fancy restaurants a myth because all we really "need" to do is tear open an animal and eat the nutritious parts!.
    You make my point for me. Love doesn't really exist in nature and if does exist it's very hard to find. In nature it's all about evolutionary survival instincts and pradator-prey relationships and love isn't one of them. Love is a very utopian concept just like communism but in the real world they both don't work.

If I were to choose with which emotions from the emotional spectrum I identify the most with then I will probably choose fear, hope, anger, compassion but love is definitely not one of them. In the Green Lantern universe it will be with the yellow, blue, red and indigo power rings.
    Last edited by uri; 05-09-09 at 11:10 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12