+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Must Stay Up...

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That film sounds really good, Kiechi.

The last really good movie I rented was "Osama".

A 12-year-old Afghan girl and her mother lose their jobs when the Taliban closes the hospital where they work. The Taliban have also forbidden women to leave their houses without a male "legal companion." With her husband and brother dead, having been killed in battle, there are no men left to support the family. Unable to leave the house without fear of arrest and torture, the mother is left with nowhere to turn. With no other choice, she disguises her daughter as a boy named 'Osama'. Osama manages to secure a job at the local chai tea shop, but 'his' effeminate ways quickly arouse suspicion among the other boys. Eventually, in a drive to collect soldiers, the local boys are taken from their homes to be trained as soldiers. At the training school, they are taught how to fight, and Osama realizes it can only be so long before she is found out. Several of the boys begin to pick on her, and eventually her secret is outed in one of the movie's most vicious and disturbing scenes.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
    Okay. Yeah, I can always due with having my rep raised.... Just wait, someday, I'll become mod, and then be totally inactive for 10 months, then come in here for 2 months at a time to be a complete asshole and diss people's spelling and grammar.
    Bad plan.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    That film sounds really good, Kiechi.

The last really good movie I rented was "Osama".

A 12-year-old Afghan girl and her mother lose their jobs when the Taliban closes the hospital where they work. The Taliban have also forbidden women to leave their houses without a male "legal companion." With her husband and brother dead, having been killed in battle, there are no men left to support the family. Unable to leave the house without fear of arrest and torture, the mother is left with nowhere to turn. With no other choice, she disguises her daughter as a boy named 'Osama'. Osama manages to secure a job at the local chai tea shop, but 'his' effeminate ways quickly arouse suspicion among the other boys. Eventually, in a drive to collect soldiers, the local boys are taken from their homes to be trained as soldiers. At the training school, they are taught how to fight, and Osama realizes it can only be so long before she is found out. Several of the boys begin to pick on her, and eventually her secret is outed in one of the movie's most vicious and disturbing scenes.
    Ooh la la, very interesting. Considered it watched. I'll see if I can get my hands on it this week.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

King Zarathu Guest
    Ooh! Osama! Who has seen Schindler's List and Black Hawn Down?

Ooh! Osama! Who has seen Schindler's List and Black Hawn Down?
    I've been meaning to watch Schindler's list, however I keep missing it everytime it's on tele. Maybe I should rent it. For BHD... well I had it years ago... didn't really fancy it then. May check it out. Is it good?
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

King Zarathu Guest
    They're both amazing movies. Schindler (the character) is a ****ing badass.

"Power is when you can punish, but you forgive them." -Schindler

That man.. ugh.. when I think of him, I get a boner.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think Schindler's List is numbing. Black Hawk Down was sobering.

King Zarathu Guest
    But they were both kick ass....

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    This was originally a reply to Zath's New Orleans water questions to Vash, but I didn't find it appropriate to post there:

I just watched a documentary on Katrina last night.

When I should've been sleeping.

All the emotion I had managed to suppress started to come back.

Amplified by the fact I feel hopeless to do anything from up here.

It's like a guilt.

It was so strange for one of the interviewees to be talking about streets and areas I was all too familiar with. Places I'd work in day in day out.

But while I was there I had to block it all out.

The destruction became common place.

I became desensitized by the stories, I'd just "mhmm" and nod in reponse.

All I knew is that I had a job to do, anything that could interfere with that was set aside. I just wanted to know what the homeowner wanted to salvage, and what could go.

I had found my groove, had a knack for leading the teams, and dealing with difficult situations. The only thing that kept me going was what little gratitude I received from the homeowners and the short term volunteers.

I didn't want money, or an award, I usually don't want recognition.

But down there, it was the one of the few thing that could keep me going. Struggle to wake up everyday, watch as my team mates, would stare blankly into space for 5 minutes, desperately wanting to go back to sleep...but it only took one person to find the motivation...the motivation for all of us, to put their feet on the ground. If she goes, I go. If he can do it, I can do it.

Now I'm needed up here, but I think I've found a way to do my part for the Katrina victims...think I found a way to rid myself of this guilt.

King Zarathu Guest
    Sap.

-----

But actually, I just typed "frequent questions" in Google and pasted them, because vashey said that when she was PMSing she didn't feel like being interrogated. I didn't even read the questions.

-----

Also, if you're going to abbreviate my name, it's ZaR.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Sap.

-----

But actually, I just typed "frequent questions" in Google and pasted them, because vashey said that when she was PMSing she didn't feel like being interrogated. I didn't even read the questions.

-----

Also, if you're going to abbreviate my name, it's ZaR.
    I assure you, no sap could survive any extended period of time down there.

We worked 18 hour days for 2 weeks straight before we had one day off then worked another week and a half before we decided it wasn't healthy to carry on that way. We were 8 weeks in before we managed a schedule that would allow people to take 2 days off in a row, and even then that was solely dependent on how many volunteers we had, which maxed out around 95 in the bunk house. 95. That's about 15 people per team leader.

Secondly, I was aware of the motives behind the questions.

Thirdly, Zath just sounds better to me.

Zar makes you sound like some cheesey alien from a 60's sci-fi TV show.

King Zarathu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    Thirdly, Zath just sounds better to me.

Zar makes you sound like some cheesey alien from a 60's sci-fi TV show.
    Zath? That sounds dumb... What about Z?

Or the ever self-suggesting Z-brat.

King Zarathu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch
    Or the ever self-suggesting Z-brat.
    You're too much....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12