+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Linux PC - XGL/Compiz

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
    Man... so much to explain. So much to explain....

I'm setting my cousin up with Linux, because he came over last night and loved it. He loved how sexy and fluid it looked, along with the fact that it's just pure domination. I mean, shit, you even get OpenOffice, which is Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc, for free. Everything about Linux is free (unless you get Premium editions, or more bullshit nobody could care less about, other than you because you're a homosexual).

But anyway, before I go on about this, I must tell you: I would not recommend you to install it without letting me guide you through over the phone or something, as Linux installations have been known to **** people's entire PCs over just because they pressed one wrong button. I had to learn the hard way, several times.

How much computer experience do you have? Any programming skills? Any skills other than posting in a forum?

Yeah, I figured... I haven't actually seen one in action, just heard really cool things about it

As far as my skilz go... well, I can type an email and I can find solitaire and paint...

lol seriously, I've had to reformat my dell literally 20+ times... so even if it did screw me up, Im' just basically going reformat to reformat, nothing especially important saved. I can't do all that C++ language stuff, but like I said I consider myself above average in computer literacy...

I guess (since I can assume it is a whole new world with tons to explain) I was asking if there was some extensive tutorial or just like an information website that someone who knows what they're doing could recommend so I could read up a bit? I'm not going to switch over anytime soon; just looking to expand my computer vocab and maybe have some fun with it Any info/help is appreciated

King Zarathu Guest
    I am your tutorial. That's right.

I mean, there are *nix tutorials out there, but it's best to learn by yourself or from a friend. I learned just about everything I know on my own (and a little bit from dono ) and it really sticks with me.

I can help you set up Windows as well as Linux on your computer, if you want to dual boot. Basically, when you start your computer there will be a screen asking you which OS you want to boot into. Programming knowledge isn't required to operate Linux unless you're going to be hacking, which I don't think is the case. ^_^

Let me know what you want to do.

Heh... yeah no hacking

I just read up a bit at linux.org... wow I started out ok, then it just got really confusing... all the names and everything...

Well, is it worth it? I mean, windows (dell more specifically) pisses me off, but what about programs like itunes and photo stuff/games? All i have is a wireless card i got from dell... will that fly for connection? Man... it's like this whole new world kindof fun and I'd like to learn more about it.

Step #1 though, since I am a cheap ass bastard... it IS free, right? There was a little blurb about it on the site, but it mentioned one may need to get a 50 dollar set of cds? I'm just looking to have some pc fun and stick it to the man (aka windows) If worst comes to worst, and I mess everything up completely, will I still be able to start from scratch with my windows format cd? It would kindof suck to completely fry my pc (piece of junk that it is)

OOh... im all giddy like a little schoolgirl This sounds like fun

King Zarathu Guest
    Yes. PM me your number and I'll call you, I'll take you through everything and answer all questions.

Yeah, and completely max out my long distance... remember, I like the idea of a free os because I am CHEAP

I will find you on aim sometime

...which is free

Take the hint LT.

Haha.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

King Zarathu Guest
    He won't let me come onto him.

Yes, even though I can make free long distance calls and he can receive them for free, that's besides the point.

Thinker is male? He sure fooled me. No offence BTW Thinker, I just thought you were female.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

King Zarathu Guest
    Hahaha! Nah, if it was a girl I wouldn't suggest a phone call straight off of the forums.

Why do you think I'm a woman? Oh goodness no...

i have failed my gender...

... i walk the path of shame...

King Zarathu Guest
    That's right. Go.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I knew you were a male, thinker.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I knew you were a male, thinker.
    Thank you.

Too bad you're a woman though...

...which makes that statement meaningless...

King Zarathu Guest
    HAHA

Win.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by thinker View Post
    Thank you.

Too bad you're a woman though...

...which makes that statement meaningless...

Ha! when I first read this, I thought it said "you're a bad woman".
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast