+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Way with words!

Wow... you know Nomas... wisdom is in knowing you arent as intelligent as others think, and can always learn more...
    You sounded awefully "wise" up there... lol...

Well I'm not going to say that just because someone is a teenager that they arent as intellectually inclined. There are numerous adults who cannot even write a sentence with correct punctuation. Whereas, I also know there are numerous teens who are geniuses and can blow away the majority of adults. I think its ignorant to think that someone's age reflects their amount of knowledge. I dont know maybe I just say this because I'm 19 and the majority of adults I know come to me not only for worldly advice, but how to spell, too lol.
    In this world you have to stay open minded to new things... thats how you become smart... in my eyes.
    ~Sarah~

knowing you aren't as intelligent as others think is something that comes with age though. i guess that's why they say older and wiser, because being wise doesn't necessarily mean you're intelligent, it may actually suggest that you are less intelligent...

anyway, i don't think that age corresponds with intelligence necessarily. but it does indicate that they have been on this earth and have taken in more or less experiences depending on their age. and with age comes new emotions and with new emotions comes new ways of articulating and expression.

am i making any sense?

Quote Originally Posted by ALovelyLady86
    Wow... you know Nomas... wisdom is in knowing you arent as intelligent as others think, and can always learn more...
    Lady86- I don't get your tone of voice up there. Are you trying to be "smart" or sarcastic?

I thought this was about how the people who are well articulated became that way... what question are you answering any way?

And that paragraph below has several grammatical and punctuation errors.

Well I'm not going to say that just because someone is a teenager that they arent as intellectually inclined. There are numerous adults who cannot even write a sentence with correct punctuation. Whereas, I also know there are numerous teens who are geniuses and can blow away the majority of adults. I think its ignorant to think that someone's age reflects their amount of knowledge. I dont know maybe I just say this because I'm 19 and the majority of adults I know come to me not only for worldly advice, but how to spell, too lol.
    In this world you have to stay open minded to new things... thats how you become smart... in my eyes.
    "Ogres are like onions."

***** fight!
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Artyemi-What exactly do you feel that youre gaining my telling me I have many puncuation and grammatical errors on my posts? And you dont? Matter of fact.. your post that you wrote telling me how my post has a ton of errors had errors too lol.. wow it amazes me how petty some people can be. Get over it!

PS: I'm always sarcastic... dont take me so seriously.

Misombra-I agree

Oh and Artyemi since we are on this subject...go ahead and name for me all those errors
    Last edited by ALovelyLady86; 24-05-05 at 07:23 AM.
    ~Sarah~

Let me put it in perspective:

Fast forward your life say five or ten years. Come back and tell me then whether you are not wiser than you were when you were younger.. Hell, go back five years right now, are you wiser now at 19 than you were at 14? It is logical to say you are. Unless you've been running in place you've become wiser..experience alone does this. You are just as experienced now as you were at 14, PLUS five years. You only take in more knowledge, it doesn't go backwards..unless you have some disease that deteriorates your brain or otherwise affect it with excessive drug/alcohol use.

That is what I mean by the wisdom that comes with age. Generally age brings wisdom to human beings.

This is NOT so say that a younger person cannot be wise. I never said this. In fact, donut seems wise beyond his years, given that he hasn't lied about his age. Me? I'm not wise beyond mine. I simply attributed my apparent "wisdom" to my age.

Regarding your first comment. Socrates says it every time I post. I'm not sure why you thought I was tooting my own horn, even when I went back and read my post, I couldn't see it. Maybe you read it in a different tone than I meant when I wrote it.

Oh no Nomas I'm not saying that I disagree with the fact that you get more wise with age... no not at all...
    I'm saying that I think that there are many people who are wise even at a young age, and to generalize just because someone is young is ignorant to me. There are plenty of young people who can easily carry on a conversation with even some of the most intellectual people. And of course, people learn more with age
    ~Sarah~

Oh no Nomas I'm not saying that I disagree with the fact that you get more wise with age... no not at all...
    I'm saying that I think that there are many people who are wise even at a young age, and to generalize just because someone is young is ignorant to me. There are plenty of young people who can easily carry on a conversation with even some of the most intellectual people. And of course, people learn more with age
    Right. We agree on this, but it seemed like you assumed I was saying that young people are by default unwise.

I think some of it, of course, has to do with experience also. But, I also think there are some rare people who dont need experience to understand a situation. I'm one of those people (thats right :::sarcastic tone::
    Getting serious now..
    For example when it comes to alcohol. I know I want nothing to do with it because I've seen what it can do to someone else. I almost lost my father too many times from alcohol...I've seen the man in a comatose state... if thats not experience I dont know what else could be closer than taking the drink myself.

Some people have to do it to say they know what it will do... I dont agree with that at all. I know that his alcoholism effected my life in ways people dont even think about.
    ~Sarah~

who is generalizing young people? i don't think anybody here said that. in fact i believe the opposite is true. older people aren't given enough credit for what they know and what they've experienced. some young people believe themselves to be wise beyond their years when they're actually not. and there isn't only one type of knowledge either. send a brain surgeon to my house and i bet i can teach him or her something about playing the guitar or cooking. there's not one person with "universal knowledge". i don't even think we're talking about intelligence. we're talking about articulation. how efficiently you express yourself.

Well older people arent given credit I guess because they dont give credit to themselves.
    You gotta remember what its like to be young.. we arent given credit at all lol. The only difference is we dont let it get us down, we are determined. As people get older I think from what I've seen they just dont care enough about themselves anymore to learn. they just assume since they already know everything that they dont need to.
    I believe there is always room to gain knowledge. Can never be too smart
    ~Sarah~

well there you go generalizing older people.

i just love to sit back and watch as people hang themselves with their words.

Older, younger..all the same beast to me.

I like to learn from both. You can learn from anyone and everyone, simple because it's different.

BUT, I do believe that someone older certainly has firmer ground to stand on when talking about someone younger, because they've been through it. I reiterate my example. If you were having this conversation with a 14 year old and she was saying you don't give her credit for her wisdom etc. etc. How would you respond?

Still, I don't think there's too huge a difference between our age difference. I like to learn from people who are a good 20 years older than myself..and if this is an intelligent, articulate individual she'll be able to tell me "yup, I went through that phase, you'll outgrow that", and while not everything applies to everyone, a good 8 out of 10 times they'll be right on the mark. Experience has taught them where the probabilities lie in favor of. Just like the 13 year olds that come in here talking about how this person is the love of their life and they will never love another like they loved this one and now their life is over because the relationship is over...blah, blah blah.

Most of what we speak of here is "blah blah blah". Truly important things? They are not matters of discussion, they are matters of action.

But that's just my opinion.

Misombra- You arent going to intimidate me hunny I dont really care what you think you know. If I disagree then I disagree and no matter what you say you cant control what I think I didnt generalize adults in any way, what would I gain by doing so? I am an "adult".
    Regurdless of age, people have their opnions. I didnt realize we were talking about 13 and 14 year olds. I thought this was young adults vs older adults.
    ~Sarah~

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    PS: I'm always sarcastic... dont take me so seriously.
    So...are you suggesting we should always take you seriously?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast