+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think memories weigh anything?

Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    Isn't that analogous (obviously with major flaws in the analogy, as there are in any analogy) to asking whether the data stored on a disk/CD changes the weight of the disk/CD?

In which case, I would answer (with absolutely no knowledge of how the HECK data is saved on disks! magic?) that the thing that possesses the property of "weight" (the memory/the disk/the individual units within it) is already in existence. It is altered by the "thought" or "data" itself, but the property that is altered is not its weight but its "configuration".

Does that make sense?
    Yes it makes sense, however, the analogy does not compare to our understanding about the way the brain works.

There is no laser or electrical discharge making dents on the molecular structure of the cells that make up the brain.

Memories are stored and accessed in an electro/chemical way and are contineously 're-linked', enforced, disregarded, changed, enhanched, adjusted and re-adjusted. Over time, the original content changes.

For example: a memory you have from your childhood time, may become over-idealized.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    Funny you say this because I've only recently started to notice how blissfully unaware we are most of the time. I used to think that I'm aware of my surroundings, but I'm not. I go into these mental loops and holes at home or at work. Sometimes I talk to my co-workers, but they don't hear, they are glued to their computer screens stuck in their own personal loops in some wierd time space breaching portal. The mind focuses on something and blocks out everything else, that everything else no longer exists, it's no longer part of our reality.

Since this realization, I'm trying to be more aware of my surroundings and of my actions as persistently as possible. I found that it makes a huge difference in my interactions with others. I feel a much greater presence when I'm aware. Whereas before I felt more as an outsider looking in.

We are now discussing two equally fascinating topics: One is whether there is mass to a memory, and the other is the experience of being mindful (being in the present moment is what I'm used to calling it) versus being stuck in a mental loop.

Mish, I do agree with what you are saying. It's so frustrating when you feel unable to properly communicate with someone, but I also recognize when you say you have created your own mind loops.

Without going into too much detail, I commissioned the above hypnotherapist (who also uses chi energy in his work) because I experienced a trauma when I was younger. What happens to me now is like an "after shock" my own loop keeps me prisoner from my past experiences and related internal fears. What he does is go into your memory bank and look for where the trauma occurred and then "rewires" you brain so you are able to get out of the loop.

Tomorrow is when he will call me and we will go through all of this. I can post on this thread after the experience and let you guys know what happened and how i feel, etc. So far he sent me a stress-reduction tape that I have been falling asleep to at night, and I do feel much less stressed out.

I think when one is aware of themselves and their entire being; physically, mentally and emotionally, they are able to create their own realities. It's a beautiful thing.
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by Gottfried View Post
    I completely agree.

I also didn't read your post.
    How about you go back to where you came from, you flaming piece of dog shit?

Your posts are more useless than uninterpretable Bavarian gibberish.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Your posts are more useless than uninterpretable Bavarian gibberish.
    Whoa!

Crossed a line, there. Language like that and I bet you've got rid of him for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollerderby View Post
    I think when one is aware of themselves and their entire being; physically, mentally and emotionally, they are able to create their own realities. It's a beautiful thing.
    Actualy, it is more correct to say that most people live in their limited selfcreated reality (in a box), while someone who achieves mindfulness no longer lives in this box of self delusion and experience something else.

Somewhat like in this picture:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Loosen up, Skippy.
    After you.

-------------

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    She was obviously referring to the actual weight of the physical chemicals involved in memory.

The actual physiology of memory is poorly understood, but the general (and rather oversimplified) concept is what you read in Ygg's post. I don't see why Indi would disagree with him, particularly because I don't think she thoroughly read your question (nor does she seem to have any understanding of what she's talking about).
    Its pretty easy to criticise others, Gottfried. Especially when you don't seem to have any answers yourself. Its a sign of an insecure intellect, of which you only seem to have the former.

But, please, educate us. I'm dying to hear what you know. Try not to rely too heavily on wikipedia.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Thank you for your input.

Looking at the energy used is certainly another way of looking at it. As I stated in my post, it's my opinion and as such highly debatable.

I however would like to add something to this which may at first sound strange, but at closer examination may shed more light into this question:

In physics, mass–energy equivalence is the concept that mass and energy are the same thing, so that every mass has an energy equivalent and vice versa.)
    Okay, I'll edit this for non-scientists.

It is a common misconception about relativity theory that by accelerating matter up to the speed of light, that the matter will turn into energy. What relativity theory says is that matter (something with mass) cannot move as fast or faster than light, no matter how much you accelerate it. The only thing that can move as fast as light (according to relativity theory) is energy, since energy has no mass.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 04-06-09 at 06:14 AM.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL, still smarting from that last thread are you?

Good. You ARE a minion. Perhaps one day you will forgive yourself for not achieving more. Shrug.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Once again, you are suffering from waning wit. Clearly, you are something of a masochist. Go ask your mommy to water you & see if that helps.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Who takes anyone on the web seriously? Its caveat emptor here.

Someone is related to DM.

Its exams. Up your meds, kiddo.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Rollerderby View Post

Mish, I do agree with what you are saying. It's so frustrating when you feel unable to properly communicate with someone, but I also recognize when you say you have created your own mind loops.
    Hmm, i get this all the time where i feel i cannot communicate properly with someone - i also recognize when i'm in a mind loop, but get frustrated at seeing others in one. Sometimes, i sit there on a train, and it sometimes feels so weird how we are all sharing the same journey at that moment, yet not talking to one another - completely seperate from each other.

And then sometimes i stop in my tracks as i realise that i have been thinking about (for example) what to wear to a party but then think about the whole world and the billions of people out there all doing different things at this very moment of which i know nothing about and its just the oddest feeling when that happens.
    ""The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach out for more. It plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds."

Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    Isn't that analogous (obviously with major flaws in the analogy, as there are in any analogy) to asking whether the data stored on a disk/CD changes the weight of the disk/CD?

In which case, I would answer (with absolutely no knowledge of how the HECK data is saved on disks! magic?) that the thing that possesses the property of "weight" (the memory/the disk/the individual units within it) is already in existence. It is altered by the "thought" or "data" itself, but the property that is altered is not its weight but its "configuration".

Does that make sense?
    Funnily enough, this is just what me and my friend were talking about before we moved on to the brains and memories. But we were more talking about how information is stored in a computer and how you can tell certain things about people from a microchip like and RFID tag.
    ""The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach out for more. It plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds."

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Chi. LOL. This thread reminds me of the quote about wrong questions.

"If they can get you asking wrong questions, they don't need to worry about the answers."

Think about this, Derby.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Okay, I'll edit this for non-scientists.

It is a common misconception about relativity theory that by accelerating matter up to the speed of light, that the matter will turn into energy. What relativity theory says is that matter (something with mass) cannot move as fast or faster than light, no matter how much you accelerate it. The only thing that can move as fast as light (according to relativity theory) is energy, since energy has no mass.

Hope this helps.
    My post was merely to point out that energy has mass.

So in regards to looking at memories as energy, according to the Einsteinian principle, energy does have mass, hence the formula Energy = Mass times Speed of Light in a vacuum square (E=MC^2).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast