+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I joined e-harmony.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by BoredGeorge View Post
    I'm trying to say the media will do anything to run a story saying women are better at men than something.

This often involes using really terrible statistics.

There was one the other day claiming women are better drives, the reason was that they take more than three times longer to park, have to adjust three times to do it but by some scoring metric they're better drivers because they park slightly straighter some of the time.
    You are right: that is a stupid reason to say that women are better drivers. I think they should decide who is better by determining who causes the most accidents. Oh wait, they did! [url]http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/12/10142027-insurance-study-women-are-better-drivers-than-men[/url]

lol
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    You are right: that is a stupid reason to say that women are better drivers. I think they should decide who is better by determining who causes the most accidents. Oh wait, they did! [url]http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/12/10142027-insurance-study-women-are-better-drivers-than-men[/url]

lol
    Again, similar to the first example a I gave.

You show a lack of intelligence common in many women. Cause of accidents just means they cause more accidents. It does not suggest anything about the skill of the driver.

My father has been in the transport industry and has driven for decades and is a much, much better driver than me but I have never had an accident and he has had many.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm pretty sure the automobile insurance industry has a monetary interest in deciding who is the worser driver overall since they charge according to risk, but perhaps you would like to tell what would be better criteria to judge by if not the amount of money they have to dish out in claims?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Hey we all know that the Chinese are the worst drivers bar none!

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I'm pretty sure the automobile insurance industry has a monetary interest in deciding who is the worser driver overall since they charge according to risk, but perhaps you would like to tell what would be better criteria to judge by if not the amount of money they have to dish out in claims?
    You just don't get it do you.

They measure the risk of accident, which results in payout - NOT THE SKILL OF THE DAMNED DRIVER !

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You just don't get it do you.

They measure the risk of accident, which results in payout - NOT THE SKILL OF THE DAMNED DRIVER !
    Good drivers don't wreck their cars, dork. Or at least, they aren't the ones CAUSING the accidents.

Try to keep up, darling.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You need to define 'skill' George and in what context. Of course a F-One race car driver is more skilled and has probably had more accidents, probably proportional to sheer number of hours behind the wheel. Doesn't make him a better driver in city-traffic if he drives the same way as on the track. Now *that* would be a useful metric: number of accidents (graded by severity) normalized to the number of hours driven, say over 5 years.

Now stop slandering the female intellect b/c you can't find one to sleep with you. There are just as many stupid men as women out there.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    You need to define 'skill' George and in what context. Of course a F-One race car driver is more skilled and has probably had more accidents, probably proportional to sheer number of hours behind the wheel. Doesn't make him a better driver in city-traffic if he drives the same way as on the track. Now *that* would be a useful metric: number of accidents (graded by severity) normalized to the number of hours driven, say over 5 years.

Now stop slandering the female intellect b/c you can't find one to sleep with you. There are just as many stupid men as women out there.
    No way. Seriously, women are retarded. The number of stupid bloody pointless questions on this site and I just KNOWN if I answer one of them wrongly the biatch will exclude me for thinking that adopting a dog is a bad diea..

No way. Seriously, women are retarded. The number of stupid bloody pointless questions on this site and I just KNOWN if I answer one of them wrongly the biatch will exclude me for thinking that adopting a dog is a bad diea..
    You better set up a surveillance camera and find out who keeps pissin in yer cornflakes every morning.

Man, BoredGeorge is bad at arguing this. Poke at the holes of the assumptions in the article, don't argue from your "experience".

Here's a potential flaw: the article states that 80% of all fatal accidents are from male drivers, but does not state what percentage of all drivers on the road are male. The article also mentions that men drive "more miles". If more men are on the road, driving greater distances than women, than it could be said men are exposed to an even greater chance of being in an accident (it doesn't though, the majority of accidents are from short car rides).

That said, the findings of the article make sense, I believe overall women are better drivers. I'm just having fun poking holes at the arguments and doing a better job than BoredGeorge . I consider myself a poor to mediocre driver, and I'm cool with that. Its kind of funny though, 85% of drivers believe they are better than most drivers, they take their "skill" at driving to heart it seems... people are silly like that
    Last edited by TheTooya; 26-02-12 at 02:39 AM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The number of stupid bloody pointless questions on this site and I just KNOWN if I answer one of them wrongly the biatch will exclude me for thinking that adopting a dog is a bad diea..
    George, you are my favourite troll. Don't adopt a dog, adopt a kid. Sit at the playground and tell the women your wife died tragically. Wasn't this an Adam Sandler movie?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by TheTooya View Post
    Man, BoredGeorge is bad at arguing this. Poke at the holes of the assumptions in the article, don't argue from your "experience".

Here's a potential flaw: the article states that 80% of all fatal accidents are from male drivers, but does not state what percentage of all drivers on the road are male. The article also mentions that men drive "more miles". If more men are on the road, driving greater distances than women, than it could be said men are exposed to an even greater chance of being in an accident (it doesn't though, the majority of accidents are from short car rides).

That said, the findings of the article make sense, I believe overall women are better drivers. I'm just having fun poking holes at the arguments and doing a better job than BoredGeorge . I consider myself a poor to mediocre driver, and I'm cool with that. Its kind of funny though, 85% of drivers believe they are better than most drivers, they take their "skill" at driving to heart it seems... people are silly like that
    Yeah, I agree, what with all the female formula one racing car drivers and all.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    You better set up a surveillance camera and find out who keeps pissin in yer cornflakes every morning.
    you don't adopt a dog. a dog is a piece of property that you purchase for your entertainment. it becomes part of the family because it is too friggin stupid to know the truth. dogs are idiots and if they weren't, they'd just run away and live in the forest with other dogs.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    boredgeorge, post up your profile. I wanna see it.

ya .........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast