+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: movie recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    How was the movie, indignant? I liked the book...
    you read the book? wow, that is a true shock to me. kudos to you, mam

I really enjoyed the movie. growing up in uzbekistan, the afghanistan environment, people and culture were all too familiar and it obviously touched me deeper than it would most other people. actors and acting were exceptional. made me cry many times.

this is exactly why most americans don't understand how much the country has been ruined and how it was before the country was occupied by russians and all else. the country was ruthlessly raped for no reason.
    Last edited by Indignant; 07-12-09 at 09:39 AM.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

is it possible to not have seen Cuckoo's Nest?
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Indignant View Post
    you read the book? wow, that is a true shock to me. kudos to you, mam
    I actually loved the book, at least up until they left Afghanistan. After that, it was a little too sentimental for my taste.

I didn't realize you lived in that region... where all have you lived?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I actually loved the book, at least up until they left Afghanistan. After that, it was a little too sentimental for my taste.
    That's exactly how I felt about the book. The last few pages killed me - he couldn't just say things and let you make of them what you wanted, he had to drive home every little point. That was irritating. But all in all it was excellent.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Here's a good one for Misombra:

The Garden (documentary) The 14 acre community garden in South Central Los Angeles was the largest of it's kind in the United States. It was started as a form of healing after the devastating L.A. riots in 1992. Since that time, the South Central Farmers have created a miracle in one of the country's most blighted neighborhoods. Growing their own food. Feeding their families. Creating a community. But now bulldozers threaten their oasis. The Garden is an unflinching look at the struggle between these urban farmers and the City of Los Angeles and a powerful developer who want to evict them and build warehouses.

This one made me think that if I really believed a signficant number of men behaved this way, I would have killed my son at birth.

In the Company of Men Two junior executives on a six week business trip, both of whom have been recently hurt by women, devise a horrible plan to get even with women for their past hurts: They intend to romance, and then dump a vulnerable, deaf secretary.
    Last edited by vashti; 07-12-09 at 10:09 PM.

Two movies I recently watched were Ko To Tamo Peva and Maratonci Trče Počasni Krug. They are both hilarious Serbian comedies. They remind me a bit of Laurel and Hardy, which was my slapstick humor of choice while growing up.

Other movies that I recently watched were Dreamcatcher, Hannibal The Rising, and Donnie Darko. I saw Green Mile for the 12th time, and Snatch for the 15th.

If you aren't easily offended..trainspotting is about a bunch of scottish heroin addicts, in a weird way it is a feel-good at the end
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUOTs55KY40"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

donnie darko is funny and very entertaining....watch the director's cut version.. hard to explain.. psychological thriller, may not be understood on first watch
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6LkdL8THFo"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

would you erase an ex relationship from your memory.. favorite movie of all time.. eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, great soundtrack too
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GiLxkDK8sI"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

God I feel like Im advertising these babies..... not sure if anyone mentioned these but hope this helps

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i read trainspotting.... great book!

Ah, I forgot it was a book. Have you seen the movie? Is it still worth reading?

OHhhh and I forgot the fabulous American Beauty.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q3ltyPJJMQ"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

Won a lot of shit and just really really good.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't know about American beauty. The only characters I liked were the screwed up teenage lovers... everyone else was just... gross.

I enjoyed trainspotters (the book) - didn't see the movie though.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Midnight Express (1978) A young American student is sent to a Turkish prison for trying to smuggle hashish out of Turkey.

Although graphically violent, this movie must have been amongst the first that depicted homosexuality with compassion. It won 2 Oscars. Overall, I would give it a score of 8 out of 10.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I thought Kevin Spacey was great in that movie. I mean, yeah, he wanted to bang his daughter's friend and he blackmailed his boss--oh, wait, that's exactly why I liked his character so much. I
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Just about to start Cinema Paradiso. I watched a bit of it last night, but the stream kept getting interrupted. Now I have the DVD. Can't wait!

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    gribble - I am hoping you will tell me how you like cuckoo's nest!

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I will, I will. First you tell me what to do about my throat. It's gotten increasingly worse. I took my temperature and it came up 100.2, though I'm eating chicken soup, so maybe that had something to do with it. I have a slightly stuffy nose.

My throat, however, is basically on fire and it's getting worse by the hour. Been this way for about three days or so. It's so bad I dread swallowing, which I feel compelled to do every ten seconds. The only way I get any sleep, and I tell you this because you're a nurse and I'm sure you've heard worse, is by dangling my head over the side of the bed and drooling into a bowl all night. Otherwise I lie awake repeatedly swallowing.

Any cute chicks want to sleep with me now?
    Last edited by Gribble; 14-12-09 at 12:05 PM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast