+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The definition of a psychopath

Conscience deals with your morals and empathy deals with your understanding other people feelings.

Someone can empathize (understand your feelings) but still do you wrong.
    Last edited by lesa; 01-02-09 at 08:27 AM.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Actually, those ARE the criteria used by professionals to diagnose this psych disorder. They appear in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV). And yes, I can think of a couple of women who fit this criteria, and quite a lot of people have less than 5.
    Right, but that wasn't what I asked. I asked if she was medically qualified to diagnose those particular qualities to such an extent that one could make such a determination about a person.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I'm not really sure about the difference, but having a conscience is to be able to distinguish whether a person's actions are right or wrong. Maybe the narcissist knows, but just doesn't care? Anyway, who cares? They are both nuts.
    Narcissism is not Pyschopathy/Sociopathy.

One is simply self obsession, the other is gratification via commission of immoral acts while not feeling remorse.

Though generally you see the term sociopath used far more often than psychopath. Even if the terms are interchangable.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    Conscience deals with your morals and empathy deals with your understanding other people feelings.

Someone can empathize (understand your feelings) but still do you wrong.
    Where as a sociopath does not empathize with those they have harmed. They simply do not care.

A Narcissistic personality is not the same thing as a psychopath. Number 1 and 3 is done by a lot of people, in fact it is a preferred quality in men by women.

Evidence of Insanity:

1.)Believes in things that do not exist(god)
    2.)Makes stupid threads listing what classifies someone as crazy
    3.)Has no logic and reasoning skills
    4.)Thinks they are always right and will not admit being wrong even when presented with evidence
    5.)Women who think that all men will do anything for sex
    6.)Jumping around while screaming "duhhhh duhhhhh duhhhh"
    7.)Believes that Pot somehow induces creativity

Number 3 is a huge problem among our women in today society. What does that say about our future? we are doomed.
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 01-02-09 at 08:51 AM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

and lite i said no i wasn't medically qualified. your point lite? coz i'm pretty sure that you have an opinion just as much as anyone else has about who they are surrounded by to make an judgment and relate to those qualities that i listed. do you have anyone you know that comes to mind? maybe you you don’t, but i am not diagnosing anyone but just listed those qualities which happen to be factual, but i do think that we can all relate in some way and that’s all i was sayin' coz bad attitudes are becoming an epidemic, that’s ultimately what i'm sayin' and lots of people may have or may develop more qualities from that list, i'm sure you know a few people
    Last edited by ecojeanne; 01-02-09 at 08:52 AM.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

My list owns yours.

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    do you have anyone you know that comes to mind?
    Actually, I do know someone who is officially diagnosed as a sociopath. And.. Well. He is one.

One can't exactly call him a friend, as how can one be friends with someone who cannot care about or empathize with you? A close acquaintance would probably be the best way to describe it.

And, I wasn't going after you again, merely re-stating to Vashti why I asked the question, not that I was doubting your description of the qualifications used to diagnose.

I could look at someone and think, "They're rather high on themselves." Which, me being a self deprecating person some of the time doesn't take much. But exactly how high does a person have to be on themselves to meet the necessary criteria for that particular piece of the diagnosis.

Which, wasn't covered by your statement.

Pretty much only about 1% of the world's population is actually diagnosable as being Sociopathic last I knew.

(Narcissistic personality disorder)

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance
    2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
    3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique
    4) requires excessive admiration
    5) has a sense of entitlement
    6) is interpersonally exploitative
    7) lacks empathy
    8) is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
    9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

My ex-husband had all of those qualities... seriously....
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    This thread is making me glad my psych rotation is over.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

(Narcissistic personality disorder)

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance
    2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
    3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique
    4) requires excessive admiration
    5) has a sense of entitlement
    6) is interpersonally exploitative
    7) lacks empathy
    8) is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
    9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes
    I got a better definition: Misombra and Indi.

The next question is were they born that way or are they products of the society they grew up in?

^^^lol!!!! so do you think indi does qualify? *giggle*
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Yea, Indi is definitely a psychopath. With her science degree, intelligence, and normal happy life. What a psychotic bitch she is.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Given that I know I function better in society than most of you, I'd have to say that 'diagnosis' isn't all that bad.

Pretty sure Obama would also fit most of those criteria, as would Bill Gates and other successful ppl.

Don't hate on those who are better than you, just try your best to emulate them.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    Yea, Indi is definitely a psychopath. With her science degree, intelligence, and normal happy life. What a psychotic bitch she is.
    I really like that House quote. I think I'll have to download a few episodes to watch. Any particularly good ones you'd recommend to start?

Actually, OV, I am rather sociopathic. I would be perfectly happy to leave 99% of society behind and sail away in my boat. Alas, my upbringing and conscience prevents this. For now. I feel I have to 'earn' that privilege. Another 10 years and its a done deal, I think.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast