+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember how much high school sucked?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    College is better because you are actually learning useful material, the girls are hotter, the people have more in common with eachother than in high school, the parties are more inclusive and freaking awesome, you're actually going somewhere with your life and can see it. College is just a great opportunity and a ton of fun

Never really had a college experience. Moved around too much.

Quite fond of uni life so far.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    College is better because you are actually learning useful material, the girls are hotter, the people have more in common with eachother than in high school, the parties are more inclusive and freaking awesome, you're actually going somewhere with your life and can see it. College is just a great opportunity and a ton of fun
    The reason why I like college, is not because of that stuff. But more because you are introduced to the often different philosophies and world views of other people; you learn to become respectful of those and open-minded. That's where the term 'university' comes from, I think. I also admire this level of education because your education does not depend so much on the teacher, but yourself instead.

I think college is also designed to help you build and obsession for what you study. It's designed to create that work ethic that you'll be able to use the rest of your life.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    lol well that is one area I guess we differ. I cannot stand how much my school "promotes" diversity, it is so artificial. Qualifications only is what I want, and they drop standards to allow international students and certain minorities for the sake of this artificial diversity

As for academics, I love it because the professors are at the frontier of their fields and know so much about their topics

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    College is better because you are actually learning useful material...
    Doesn't that depend on your major?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by shh! View Post
    haha yeah. Sometimes at random places I hear people complaining about how useless college is and that they aren't learning anything they are going to actually use when they are working. All the classes I'm taking are not only useful, but 100% necessary

anachronistic Guest
    No, it depends on the person.

Sorry, lilwang, but I believe your opinion will change once you kids are expected to get a job and support a family.

anachronistic Guest
    Sorry, lilwang, but I believe your opinion will change once you kids are expected to get a job and support a family.
    It is of no wonder why you are where you are.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    All vashti is saying is that it is better, especially from the view of a parent looking at their child, to get a degree that is practical

I was considering some kind of engineering in high school but my dad pushed me away from it a little, himself an electrical engineer, because it is not as employable as a profession as say a doctor because that is a job that will never be outsourced, and you won't make as much money doing it. And that was on engineering

He kind of pities my sisters best friend from high school who majored in history, because how many jobs are there that hire a history major? It just isn't a versatile or employable (meaning useful) degree compared to others

anachronistic Guest
    I know that's what shh was saying I am saying it doesn't matter if you have a degree or not. You education depends on YOU. Your skills depend on YOU. A degree may make you certified, but it's YOU that makes a successful career. And for the record, you can make a life for yourself with blue-collar jobs. So what's the point of education then?

Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    It is of no wonder why you are where you are.
    No, it's not. And quite honestly, I don't know why you thought your saying so would be insulting. There aren't a lot of people living where I do who aren't educated in something practical and lucrative... they simply can't afford it.

anachronistic Guest
    No, it's not. And quite honestly, I don't know why you thought your saying so would be insulting. There aren't a lot of people living where I do who aren't educated in something practical and lucrative... they simply can't afford it.
    I wasn't being insulting It is clear that you are where you are, based on your mindset. If you take insult to that, it is because you are ashamed that you have not gone further.

So what's the point of education then?
    One reason I do it is because my profession requires it.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I wasn't being insulting It is clear that you are where you are, based on your mindset. If you take insult to that, it is because you are ashamed that you have not gone further.
    Why don't you quit being a dick and stop digging yourself in deeper?
    Last edited by Gribble; 29-07-08 at 04:10 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast