+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Books.

Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    I have not read 1984 (but I think I know the general story line), and in any case, I think Handmaids Tale is an exception because it deals specifically with the use of women’s bodies as political instruments, a topic that would be appealing to feminists.
    No cookie for you. Major difference is a womans perception of a dystopian society. Apart from one account in 1984, when one of the characters dismisses the protagnists intrest in Oceania (society the book takes place) .
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Very clever, aren't you? :-) Oh well, no cookie for me. That is okay, though. they are fattening.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'll take that cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    Very clever, aren't you? :-) Oh well, no cookie for me. That is okay, though. they are fattening.
    Is that sarcasm?

:: Gives Choi the cookie ::

Enjoy.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

hahaha! No, actually it wasn't, but I can see now how it could be read that way. Who is Choi? Is that another name for Frasbee?

Thats what I call him by. If my memory serves me correctly I believe it is also his surname?

Also thanks for the compliment. I don't really consider myself "smart" because I seem to compare myself to people who are like older than me by donkey years.

Comparing yourself to a selective group of intelligent, older people with more life experience isn't the way for you to measure your own intelligence. Their level of knowledge is merely the goal. Try comparing yourself to some of the people who post in this forum. (You probably have at least one or two on your mind; I know I do.) You will feel very intelligent indeed!
    :-D

I do... but they are far much more knowledgeble than I. Maybe I try and compare myself to people in the same age group?

As a science fiction fan, I suggest Bradbury. "Martian chronicles" for example, it was a very good book about human process and its stupidity. Just start reading it and you will get your summary after you have red the book.

more great scifi and i honestly suggest you read all 6 book out of the series:

DUNE , essentially it is about religious war and power and government - but i suggest you read it.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiechi
    Thats what I call him by. If my memory serves me correctly I believe it is also his surname?
    My full name is Anthony Charles Choi.

AKA: Choi, Anthony, Frasbee

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee
    My full name is Anthony Charles Choi.

AKA: Choi, Anthony, Frasbee
    Haha I was right.

I'm always torn between book or film, so I've resolved the ambivalence by reading a book and watching the film version, one behind the other. (Reading the script along with the film is kinda fun for me, too.) Interesting reads/watches:

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Bladerunner

Naked Lunch (the book) and Naked Lunch (the video)

Interesting take on Naked Lunch: Some interpret the "interzone" in the 1950's book as the the first elucidation of the Internet.

Ray Bradburys book "Martian chronicles" is quite a good sci-fi book. "It is not telling you what future should be, it is trying to predict the future", as Bradbury said. it is telling us that we ruin everything old by tring to make progress at everything without seeing that proper prgress is impossible and sometimes too much progress is not welcome. As we are making progress into unknowness...

i started reading Orwells "1984" but hasn't got much since I am like 10 hours at work almost every day and don't feel like reading after that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast