+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do girls play hard to get

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    Then he should have specified "why do some girls play hard to get?" or (since this is actually what he is interested in) "why does this girl play hard to get?"

Didn't say he was, I just don't like generalizations. It's equally annoying if it's a woman that generalizes regarding guys (except of course it doesn't have the whole sexist background to make it even worse, but that's not the point).

Anyway, OP, I agree with basil. She isn't answering straight away because she's got other more important things to take care of. It doesn't mean she isn't interested in you.

What you need to seriously think about is: are you sure you would like to get more involved with a woman with two toddlers?
    Good point and yes I would I may be young but I would treat them like they were mine I love kids.

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    Then he should have specified "why do some girls play hard to get?" or (since this is actually what he is interested in) "why does this girl play hard to get?"
    Wrong. The way he wrote the question, there is no grammatical room for interpretation or ambiguity. His question is asking, "Of the people who play hard to get, why do the women do it?" Whether or not that's what he meant is another ball of wax, but that is what his question begs.
    "Why do some girls play hard to get", could be asking a few different things.

Quote Originally Posted by BackUpOrGetStng View Post
    Wrong. The way he wrote the question, there is no grammatical room for interpretation or ambiguity.
    "Why do women play hard to get?" means (in the common usage of the phrase) "Why do women in general play hard to get?", which is a generalization. If he had meant "why do some women play hard to get?", that is precisely what he should have said.

"Why do some women play hard to get", can mean "Why do some women play hard to get, while others don't?" or "Of those who play hard to get, what are some reasons they do it?", begging multiple reasons rather than a deterministic answer.

"Why do women play hard to get?" means, literally, "Why do female people play hard to get?". It's asking for specificity on why the girls who do it, do it. It's quite clear he was not assuming all women play hard to get, and there is nothing incorrect about how he wrote it. You can just admit you're wrong and I'll forgive you.
    Last edited by BackUpOrGetStng; 04-12-13 at 03:05 PM.

Well you can try to play some game on her psyche Like David DeAngelo, Mistry and or act all Rush Limbaugh or: You could pick up the phone and dial it and when she says "hello" you could ask her if it's a bad time to talk or is she free at the moment. If it is a bad time, if she's with her children then she'll likely ask if she can call you back when they're in bed. If she doesn't do anything to show you that she's going to be free to ever talk to you or go out with you again, then next her and find someone without any children who will more likely have the time to call you back or talk to you when you ring her.

Op: You don't appear to be discribing someone who is playing hard to get but rather someone who is rather pre-occupied. No sense playing games until you actually know if she's just tied up. If she is just tied up then you have to decide if she's going to have the time for you in the long run.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

"Why do women play hard to get?" means, literally, "Why do female people play hard to get?". It's asking for specificity on why the girls who do it, do it. It's quite clear he was not assuming all women play hard to get, and there is nothing incorrect about how he wrote it. You can just admit you're wrong and I'll forgive you.
    Haha, but I'm not wrong... in general usage, when someone says something like "why do women/men do that?" it means "why do *all* women/men do that?", it's a way of generalizing. In general usage, it is a generalization. It's like when some women ask questions such as "why are men such jerks?", it is clearly a generalization and what they actually mean is "why are some men jerks?".

"Why do some women play hard to get", can mean "Why do some women play hard to get, while others don't?" or "Of those who play hard to get, what are some reasons they do it?", begging multiple reasons rather than a deterministic answer.
    The second interpretation is actually the (only) correct one, and it coincides with what (I presume) the OP was actually asking (well, actually he was only interested in this specific girl).
    Last edited by searock; 04-12-13 at 03:35 PM.

I dont think she is playing hard to get tbh. Shes got two toddlers, a home to run, a job.. it cant be easy. Id say shes interested but genuinly very busy.

Slow down btw. Youve only just met her so playing daddy to her babies in NOT a good idea. I wouldnt even introduce yourself to the kids unless you plan to marry this girl. Kids need consistency so you cant be surrogate dad for 6months and then disappear.. which could easily happen.

Keep arranging dates, go slow and expect some cancelations along the way. If one of the kids is ill, throwing a tantrum or being difficult then there are gonna be times when she has no choice but to cancel plans.

A bedtime routine for 2 toddlers could take two hours or more so im not surprised she cant text every five mins.

Dont start playing games with her. I really dont think shes playing games with you

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

It can also be implying that only women do it, not all women. There was no specification, and without that, you are assuming.

I took the man literally, at his word, rather than contorting what he said so that I could get on my high horse. If you read the words written in front of you, then you are wrong.

It can also be implying that only women do it, not all women.
    Then again it would be a generalization.

I took the man literally, at his word, rather than contorting what he said so that I could get on my high horse. If you read the words written in front of you, then you are wrong.
    In common usage, when someone says something like "why do men/women do this?", they are saying "why do all men/women do this?", so I'm not contorting anything, I'm just putting things in their right context (which is that of common usage and not book grammar).

... lol ...
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Why do women get their period?

That's a generalization..I don't see a problem.

I don't think you put things in their right context. I think it's fairly obvious the OP was not asking, "Why do all women play hard to get". Is that what you think he was asking? If it is, you are a ****ing idiot.

better question is wtf do they call it MENses and MENopause.

Why do women get their period?

That's a generalization..I don't see a problem.
    Because there isn't one, since you are just stating a biological fact - all (healthy) women (biologically female at any rate) do get their period at some point in their lives. It's just like asking "Why do men have a penis?", obviously it's just stating a fact. It's not a question about anyone's character or personality based on their gender or on any other thing that clearly has nothing to do with their character or personality.

I don't think you put things in their right context. I think it's fairly obvious the OP was not asking, "Why do all women play hard to get". Is that what you think he was asking? If it is, you are a ****ing idiot.
    Obviously not - that is why I asked him why he used that phrasing, since it's clearly not what he meant to say. It's silly and a lot of times harmful to use generalizations, which is why I pointed it out. He wanted to ask "Why does this girl play hard to get?" and he ended up phrasing it in a way that, in common usage, means "Why do all women play hard to get?". The thing I am putting in context is the phrasing, and the context I am putting it in is the common usage of the phrasing.

Sea... he's not going to listen. I gave up on this same convo last night with BU and Badger because I knew how futile it was going to be.

Lmao.. people here love to debate (including me) but im staying outa this one. Not worth reading 3 pages

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast