+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideals that you struggle to implement in your daily life

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Thomas Edison stole most of his patent ideas, Ygg. Bad example?

Are you out of your mind? Why would I achieve more by aiming lower? No offense Ygg, but that attitude doesn't resonate in the slightest for me.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 17-08-09 at 12:13 PM.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Thomas Edison stole most of his patent ideas, Ygg. Bad example?

Are you out of your mind? Why would I achieve more by aiming lower? No offense Ygg, but that attitude doesn't resonate in the slightest for me.
    Thomas Edison had a point. That he stole patents is not related to the point he made.

I know, it 'sounds' counterproductive. Strangely enough, it works. Don't dismiss the idea before you tried it

Many of us have unrealistic ideals.

For example: 'I will "never, ever" in my entire life, tell a lie'. That in itself is an unrealistic ideal, because one may be misinformed about something and in good faith, say something untruthfull. Regardless how one tries to reason their way out of it, still, a lie has been told if such happens.

'I will tell the truth according to the best of my knowledge, but stay openminded and willing to adjust in case I am misinformed or my opinion is biased', is, for example, a more realistic ideal.

I'm not sure if I am making sense with this. I sure hope.

FYI: running a marathon is in my opinion not an ideal, but a goal. Maybe you and I make a different distinction between ideal and goal.
    Last edited by Yggdrasil; 17-08-09 at 12:47 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think we have a different philosophy about this, Ygg.

I'm not dismissing the idea, but it certainly does sound counter intuitive. You'd have to explain how your philosophy would work for high achievers. I find attempting to do things that many people cannot highly motivating.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Don't fu@k things up (again).

So far I've stuck to it.

I think we have a different philosophy about this, Ygg.

I'm not dismissing the idea, but it certainly does sound counter intuitive. You'd have to explain how your philosophy would work for high achievers. I find attempting to do things that many people cannot highly motivating.
    Ah.. you see... in my opinion that's not what is important.

Many people attempt to do things that many others can't, and it is highly motivating if one succeeds. It's good for one's self esteem.

However, when is enough enough? One can aim for perfection, and will never reach it, thus being stuck at the same project forever, because there is always something that can be done better, OR, one can settle for a more realistic goal, such as: a job well done, and thus achieve more 'volume', leading to more finalized projects and a greater sense of achievement.

Hence: aim lower, achieve more.

I have used that philosophy my entire life and is has brought me exactly where I wanted to be. Main thing is, I am comfortable with it. While many over achievers were breaking their minds over perfect sollutions to complex problems, I came up with 'less perfect' working sollutions to those same complex problems. Guess who got promoted and who didn't?

I think the most important thing to realize is that is nothing is perfect and everything has it's limits. 95% is good enough. Aiming for 100% perfection is foolishness and unachievable.

I guess that's where you and I differ Indi
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oh, well if you are talking about pragmatic solutions, I don't have a problem with that. That's not what I'm meaning. Shrug.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Oh, well if you are talking about pragmatic solutions, I don't have a problem with that. That's not what I'm meaning. Shrug.
    Almost right, I am talking about pragmatic idealism, and no I am not going to go into a lenghtly debate about that, because there's an entire school of philosophy on that one. Courses can be followed at most Universtities.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL. Thanks Professor Ygg.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

LOL. Thanks Professor Ygg.
    I hope you lolled because you noticed how I spelled Universities (wordplay remember?)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oh gosh, no, Ygg. Sorry. I deal w/so many folks that can't spell for their lives (nor seem inclined to a spell-checker) I just mentally fill the right word.

What's a universtities? Oh, titties... got it. I think? If not you'd best explain. If this were Python we'd segue about now into Something Completely Different.

LOL (and I really am right now), I am just not that witty these days, my brain is pithed.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12