Quote Originally Posted by daletom
My kids were home-schooled in the early elementary grades. One is now a High School science teacher with a Master's degree in education (undergrad in Biology); one had the 2nd best academic record in her High School class of about 350, and best academics in her department at college; and the youngest is scoring top 2% to 5% in his college entrance exams.
sweet I don't know what age elementary grades would indicate, but I think home-schooling is a great idea for those parents who are educated enough themselves to do it and can make the time.

My point: never apologize for being home-schooled, or use it as an excuse. You are very organized, articulate, and broadly knowledgable. I'm not only attracted to intelligent people in general, but think that brainy girls are very sexy! Don't be afraid to let it show!
heh, thank you. Sometimes I wonder if there just something I do that makes everybody just think that I'm intelligent when "in reality" I'm not. I suppose it just shows bad confidence. I know I used to never say thanks to compliments- I always said it's just dumb luck, etc. I wonder why so many people lack confidence in themselves. For me it's definitely led to a sort of "what does he see in me?" feeling in my relationship- funnily enough, even though he is a very confident intelligent person he has mentioned having the same feeling.

As for the physics - I hope your degree program requires at least some introductory science. I'm NOT going to hit you with, "My Engineering core required literature and psychology, so you artsy types need to have some math and science." - that argument is totally bogus. I'll just say that an educated, well-rounded person benefits herself as well as those around her by at least knowing the vocabulary and major facts associated with a variety of disciplines.
Sadly, no. The education system in Ireland is going in the right direction, making a college education the norm and offering grants to students who's parents make below a certain amount at work. But in my case I slipped by most of the system and then got into college through a loophole. The government is trying to encourage enterprise and new businesses, etc, so as far as I know all college courses require learning basics in business administration, marketing and comms, so no physics. Would be a cool subject though. I really enjoy almost any class with a good teacher/lecturer, though.
Why is that with many people think art students are slackers? I am a design student anyway, and it requires - or rather, it benefits greatly from - a lot of non-related knowledge. A lecturer at college once said "as a designer, it is your responsibility to know what's going on in the world". After all, once you have the actual practical techniques of design, you still need something to communicate. but anyways, i'm ranting!