+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the effing heat

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lilwing89
    you bitches. i live in 115 degree temperatures, and there is a drought here, along with fires everywhere, started by just about anything. seriously there is about 3 fires a day, JUST WITHIN MY COUNTY. and these are big ****in fires. it looks like hell over here. the ground is like black and the sky is red.
    I thought you lived in the midwest...

Anyway, cry me a river - it isn't much hotter wherever you are than it is here, and we also have huge fires, flooding AND earthquakes.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

sounds lovely. I hope you have a brick house...

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No way - bricks are deadly in an earthquake! But actually, I LOVE California, and I don't believe there is a better place to live anywhere.

On a related matter, yesterday's newspaper said that the city I live in is number 18 on the list of the top 100 cities to live in in the U.S.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

King Zarathu Guest
    105 degrees farenheit in Texas is pretty cool when you have A/C. I'm in Paris, and apparently A/C isn't something they believe in, even though it's 90 degrees out. I'm burning.

vashti- that's just your puny american bricks!..kidding but why don't you build earthquake proof houses in earthquake zones though? well, maybe you do...

Zarathu- yeah, I heard about that when my parents were in paris. They were lucky to get a place with an AC. maybe you can get a fan or something?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiay
    vashti- that's just your puny american bricks!..kidding but why don't you build earthquake proof houses in earthquake zones though? well, maybe you do...
    Yes, we do. That's why you don't hear about the same sort of devastation occurring in California as you hear in places like Mexico or India.

Are you covering your windows when it starts to warm up? That would help to keep the temps lower inside. Leave your windows open at night and close them up during the day. If asthetics are not a problem, you can cover your windows with aluminum foil which will repel the sun. That is what the people do in the areas that don't have air conditioning in downtown L.A.

hm. I guess I don't follow the news that closely.. but I do keep hearing of things involving forces of nature happening to wooden houses that wouldn't happen if they were built differently.
    In case I come to California on vacation sometime, when's the best time, do you reckon?

we have light curtains, but that's it. Our house has floor-to-ceiling windows along the entire south side, and the sun comes in at an angle even in the summer, so it spares us a lot of heating usually. Thankfully, we are cutting the grass soon, so of course it's going to get colder and maybe even rain between when the grass is cut and the bailer comes- law of nature! of course, i'm going to Germany tomorrow where it's even hotter
    the aluminium foil is a 'cool' idea- should do that for the car when it's in the sun.. haha it'd look weird...

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    In case I come to California on vacation sometime, when's the best time, do you reckon?
    California is a very large state, so what time of year is "best" depends entirely on where you want to go. We have snowy mountains, barren deserts, and beautiful beaches. The best (big) city is San Fransisco, and the best weather (most temperate) year-round is in San Diego.

I think summers on the coast are fantastic, as are winters in the mountains. Yosemite is best in the spring when the water falls are running or in the fall when the colors are beginning to change. Death Valley should be avoided in the summer, although those crazy tourists like to go then to feel how hot it can get.

Basically, any time of year is a good time of year unless you are bound to a particular activity.

thanks! wow, yeah, I tend to forget Ireland is only the size of a small state really. My bf has been to LA, said it's beautiful, so, might go there some day. Personally I always wanted to see San Diego Zoo.. and San Fransisco. Odd, I never stopped to think those things are all in the same state...
    and now I'd better go to bed.. (4 AM)
    thanks again

King Zarathu Guest
    Zarathu- yeah, I heard about that when my parents were in paris. They were lucky to get a place with an AC. maybe you can get a fan or something?
    No. I prefer to not bitch--it helps me feel more masculin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12