+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Theories of Life, the Universe and Everything

anachronistic Guest
    i have trouble figuring out how lifeforms got here on earth. that is why i believe in a combination of a creator and evolution.

i dont understand how a lifeform could evolve from a nonliving thing.

if the bible is just some storybook, do you realize how many morals would be changed. the constitution of the united states of america and everything in it, is based on the bible and its morals.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiay View Post
    you don't believe in evolution? Zach, you're killing me!
    Well don't get me wrong here, I don't think it doesn't exist for sure. Its just... to be perfectly honest with you, I don't know nearly enough about it. Plus im not very interested in evolution at all because it doesn't describe how life started anyways. Im interest in the origin of existence, not how we "evolve".

plants can sense and grow towards light, are plants conscious? I'd think that's a bit loose.
    Well for me, I think that plants indeed are conscious to life, but just in a very different way then we are. I tend to view it like this:
    Plants < Animals < Humans - This only applies to the depths of consciousness. I have no proof of any sort to back up any of this but I tend to just view it this way. Animals are more conscious than plants, and we are more conscious than animals. How and to what extent this varies, I know not.
    There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being. - Albert Einstein

anachronistic Guest
    isnt that how the foodchain goes, zach?

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by King Zarathu View Post
    In response to Moogle's nonsensical synopsis, some plants eat animals.
    my synopsis was logical. you just want to start another war.

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle View Post

if the bible is just some storybook, do you realize how many morals would be changed. the constitution of the united states of america and everything in it, is based on the bible and its morals.
    That's a common misconception that the right makes. The constitution was not based 100% on the bible. It was a product of the founding fathers thinking up a law system that would prevent another situation like the one they left. It has things in common with the bible, but it's not a product of it
    People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    the constitution of the united states of america and everything in it, is based on the bible and its morals.
    If you are referring to the "10 commandments", those are based on the Hammurabi Code...
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    If you are referring to the "10 commandments", those are based on the Hammurabi Code...
    are you jewish?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    are you jewish?
    Yes; I converted. Why do you ask?
    Last edited by vashti; 25-12-06 at 04:38 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    We'd make a fine UN model, skaterboy. I like Arabs, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
    I'm wearing an IDF shirt right now..
    Irish Defence Forces?

i have trouble figuring out how lifeforms got here on earth. that is why i believe in a combination of a creator and evolution.
    Yeah, I heard some theories on how it developed, but it's really hard to tell. I believe that there must be a scientific solution though.

The church initially claimed evolution didn't exist at all. Dinosaurs? never existed. Apes? not related at all. etc. Only after there was too much evidence backing up the existence of evolution did they say "okay, okay, so evolution does exist. BUT, obviously, god must've made it that way." yeahh right. Adjusting a theory in order to stop it from being disproved in the face of new knowledge (evolution, earth revolves around the sun, etc) just reeks of a faulty theory in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Well don't get me wrong here, I don't think it doesn't exist for sure. Its just... to be perfectly honest with you, I don't know nearly enough about it. Plus im not very interested in evolution at all because it doesn't describe how life started anyways. Im interest in the origin of existence, not how we "evolve".
    thank god, there is hope for you yet it's odd how I think in the exact opposite way; evolution fascinates me.. but how life really started doesn't really interest me as much.

life (as we know it, at least) requires liquid water, building blocks like carbon, oxygen, hydrogen and nitrogen, and a source of energy. Detailed theories on how exactly these elements initially combined to make life doesn't really concern me, I don't need to understand the exact specific details of the process.

Well for me, I think that plants indeed are conscious to life, but just in a very different way then we are.
    well.. personally I don't think plants qualify as conscious beings. But you're entitled to your own definition.

Plants < Animals < Humans - This only applies to the depths of consciousness. I have no proof of any sort to back up any of this but I tend to just view it this way. Animals are more conscious than plants, and we are more conscious than animals. How and to what extent this varies, I know not.
    Humans are animals. This reminds me of a quote that went something like "I used to think the brain was the most powerful organ in the body. Then I realised who was telling me this". Saying humans are on a higher level of consciousness than animals is a very commonly held opinion- most people don't really even think about it, they just 'know' that we must be superior. But really, just because we're a successful species in terms of population and manipulating our environment.. how does that make us more conscious than an ape that clearly shows self consciousness?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Irish Defence Forces?

Hah! Funny!

anachronistic Guest
    Irish Defence Forces?

Yeah, I heard some theories on how it developed, but it's really hard to tell. I believe that there must be a scientific solution though.

The church initially claimed evolution didn't exist at all. Dinosaurs? never existed. Apes? not related at all. etc. Only after there was too much evidence backing up the existence of evolution did they say "okay, okay, so evolution does exist. BUT, obviously, god must've made it that way." yeahh right. Adjusting a theory in order to stop it from being disproved in the face of new knowledge (evolution, earth revolves around the sun, etc) just reeks of a faulty theory in the first place.

thank god, there is hope for you yet it's odd how I think in the exact opposite way; evolution fascinates me.. but how life really started doesn't really interest me as much.

life (as we know it, at least) requires liquid water, building blocks like carbon, oxygen, hydrogen and nitrogen, and a source of energy. Detailed theories on how exactly these elements initially combined to make life doesn't really concern me, I don't need to understand the exact specific details of the process.

well.. personally I don't think plants qualify as conscious beings. But you're entitled to your own definition.

Humans are animals. This reminds me of a quote that went something like "I used to think the brain was the most powerful organ in the body. Then I realised who was telling me this". Saying humans are on a higher level of consciousness than animals is a very commonly held opinion- most people don't really even think about it, they just 'know' that we must be superior. But really, just because we're a successful species in terms of population and manipulating our environment.. how does that make us more conscious than an ape that clearly shows self consciousness?
    clean out your pm box, my sweet little muffin

heh oops

(hm.. how about Immune Deficiency Foundation?)

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    heh oops

(hm.. how about Immune Deficiency Foundation?)
    Israel Defense Forces.

anachronistic Guest
    international diabetes federation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast