+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some suggestions for paper.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    He was probably a pot-head.

j/k - I actually favor legalization of all illegal drugs.

Wasn't your husband a forensic chemist? Guess he isn't involved in the forensic chemistry of illegal drugs then lol

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    Yep that was one of my points.

There are so many chemicals created by man that will do far worse and have much less benefits. In fact the major issue with marijuana besides that it is illegal is that it is smoked. That is where most of its detrimental effects come from.
    I don't understand that argument (drug vs herb)? Isn't a herb used for medicine or recreation simply a drug from a natural source (i.e. not synthesized)? I taught that a drug is any substance that when taken into the body, alters normal body functioning. Natural or synthetic source makes no difference, from the body's perspective asprin from Bayer or from willowbark tea will have the same effect.

Cocaine from the coca plant, digoxin from foxglove, atropine from belladonna, caffeine, alcohol--all from natural sources. Why make the distinction about where it comes from? Except that using natural drugs will cut out those awful giant drug co middlemen?

BTW, I am also pro-legalization of drugs. But that natural vs. synthetic argument just doesn't hold any weight w/me. Its not like drugs from natural sources are any less toxic or safer, tho there is that misconception. Monkshood (inhibits aconitase, Lesa) & opium from poppies, mushrooms (for a commonly understood example), will kill you just as readily as any number of pills will if you take too much. IMO, the historical arguments about prohibition (and the cost to police), loss of revenue & not restricting private freedoms hold a lot more weight.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    A synthetic version of THC (the active ingredient in marijuana) is already used in prescription medicine. (Marinol)
    Yep, I eased that into my arguments further down into the paper to solidify the effects and any thoughts of disagreement the reader of the paper may have had up to that point.

Reader of paper: "Hmmm, I can't believe this girl is arguing for the use of marijuana". And then BAM! : Marinol, a derivative of THC in marijuana, is currently used in prescription drugs to treat loss of appetite and as an anti-emetic of chemotherapy.

Marinol doesn't have as much benefits or work as great as marijuana however.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm for the legalization of some drugs, like weed, mescaline, etc... aka the "soft" drugs

But if you are in favor of drugs like meth and heroin... I can almost guarantee you life a very sheltered life

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Marinol, a derivative of THC in marijuana
    Marinol isn't a derivative of THC, it is THC

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    I'm for the legalization of some drugs, like weed, mescaline, etc... aka the "soft" drugs

But if you are in favor of drugs like meth and heroin... I can almost guarantee you life a very sheltered life
    i agree. meth, crack, and heroine should definitely be illegal. people who use those drugs don't only mess up their own lives, but their family, friends, and entire communities.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Wasn't your husband a forensic chemist? Guess he isn't involved in the forensic chemistry of illegal drugs then lol
    Oh, yes he certainly is. Colossal waste of money and man power that would be better spent on gun crimes.

I say legalize it all, and tax it heavily. I don't care if people want to be crack heads. Build crack houses and make them stay there.
    Last edited by vashti; 23-07-08 at 12:53 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Does your husband feel that way too?

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I don't understand that argument (drug vs herb)? Isn't a herb used for medicine or recreation simply a drug from a natural source (i.e. not synthesized)? I taught that a drug is any substance that when taken into the body, alters normal body functioning. Natural or synthetic source makes no difference, from the body's perspective asprin from Bayer or from willowbark tea will have the same effect.

Cocaine from the coca plant, digoxin from foxglove, atropine from belladonna, caffeine, alcohol--all from natural sources. Why make the distinction about where it comes from? Except that using natural drugs will cut out those awful giant drug co middlemen?

BTW, I am also pro-legalization of drugs. But that natural vs. synthetic argument just doesn't hold any weight w/me. Its not like drugs from natural sources are any less toxic or safer, tho there is that misconception. Monkshood (inhibits aconitase, Lesa) & opium from poppies, mushrooms (for a commonly understood example), will kill you just as readily as any number of pills will if you take too much. IMO, the historical arguments about prohibition (and the cost to police), loss of revenue & not restricting private freedoms hold a lot more weight.
    Drugs created or natural such as herbs can both cause harm. So many people assume that herbs are safe, but they are just as dangerous if not more because they may be easier to get and are less studied/controlled.

My issue with pharmaceuticals and herbs (pharmacognosy) is the cost and now it is getting out of hand that the drug industry is getting too excited on profits than on what they are treating.

I don't personally differentiate a processed drug or a natural one. I say herb vs. drug to the general public because many assume that prescription drugs are the best in everything. When I mention an herb, many people will say they will not use it. And then I have to tell them that most prescriptions came from the ideas of herbs.

that already happens with the crack heads.

thing about them is they always steal shit. those are the people who break into houses, break into cars. people on those hard drugs most of the time are the ones responsible for those gun crimes.

here where i live they say most murders happen because of drugs. and not marijuana.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    DM - He used to not agree, but he is coming around, especially after he ran the firearms section and realized how many crimes will never be investigated due to not enough man power.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I agree, it's really sad how crimes with actual victims get less attention because of a governments agenda

Marinol isn't a derivative of THC, it is THC
    I knew someone was going to say that. Marinol is THC.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Prozac is the best drug of them all. Ever

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Marinol doesn't have as much benefits or work as great as marijuana however.

Wouldn't that be more an issue with dosage than how it works?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast