+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Sorry to sound ignorant, but I don't know anything about the climate in Ohio. Are there hard winters there? If so, yes, rescue the poor bugger.
    It depends on the year, really. A few years ago there was a bad 2 weeks that knocked out power to about 200,000 households around the Columbus area. Ice accumulated on poles and trees and turned a limb with a 1 inch circumference into a limb with a 4 or 5 inch circumference.

It does snow here every winter, and my yard will be completely covered during the snow falls... then a little will melt and it'll happen again. Any water will freeze.

Also, I think that the turtle is a slider, but not a red eared slider. I'll have to grab him out of the tub to do it but I'm not too eager to reach in there.. the water looks nasty.

Hmm, I have been reading up on the sliders and according to Wikipedia, those turtles should have clean and clear water. The tub that the turtle is in definitely isn't clean and clear. I didn't put him there, so I figured that he liked it, but maybe it'd be better if I got him out sooner than October?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Why don't you offer him a clean alternate pool of some kind & see if he goes for it? But you'll need to give him a hiding spot. I think hawks & such (cranes, if you live nr a marsh) prey on them.

There's good eating on those. (ref-Small Gods by Terry Prachett)
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I had a turtle once, but I think he died in depression.
    Don't expect anything.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Why don't you offer him a clean alternate pool of some kind & see if he goes for it? But you'll need to give him a hiding spot. I think hawks & such (cranes, if you live nr a marsh) prey on them.

There's good eating on those. (ref-Small Gods by Terry Prachett)
    I don't really have anything around that could do it. He's been sunbathing this afternoon, so I got to see him. I do think it's a red eared slider turtle, but he's also older. His shell is rather dull and almost all the same color of green which apparently comes as they get older.

Tone Guest
    I love turtles!

When I was around 11 or 12 I built an outdoor pen and bought some painted turtles from a pet shop. I dug out a whole in the ground and filled it up w/ those big rubber-made storage bins then filled them up w/ water & sand on the bottom.

Had some logs for them to sunbathe on... ahh good times. I use to love to just sit out there and watch them go about their day.

In the winter though I had to take them inside in an aquarium. Eventually I released them all (except 1 who escaped) at a local park where other turtles inhabit.

It's most definitely surviving off insects. I'd suggest finding a local park where you know turtles thrive in and taking him there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    I love turtles!

When I was around 11 or 12 I built an outdoor pen and bought some painted turtles from a pet shop. I dug out a whole in the ground and filled it up w/ those big rubber-made storage bins then filled them up w/ water & sand on the bottom.

Had some logs for them to sunbathe on... ahh good times. I use to love to just sit out there and watch them go about their day.

In the winter though I had to take them inside in an aquarium. Eventually I released them all (except 1 who escaped) at a local park where other turtles inhabit.

It's most definitely surviving off insects. I'd suggest finding a local park where you know turtles thrive in and taking him there.
    That's the thing... I don't know of a park around here turtles thrive. There is a creek in my back yard which is where I assume he came from, but he left that creek to come into that tub. And he can get out of it anytime he wants.. it's not that high above the water. He climbs the same height to get on the cement block.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12