+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I didn't meet too many Americans there, except for the 50+ year old men that have been living there since the war. They have ex-pat bars all over the place.

Most of the tourists I met were European (lots of French), Australian and Canadian.

They are very friendly though....if they can speak English, their favorite thing to ask is "Where you from?"
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    I didn't meet too many Americans there, except for the 50+ year old men that have been living there since the war. They have ex-pat bars all over the place.

Most of the tourists I met were European (lots of French), Australian and Canadian.

They are very friendly though....if they can speak English, their favorite thing to ask is "Where you from?"
    It'll be cool because my dad can translate everything for me.

I used to know and understand Vietnamese when I was a kid, could even speak some of it. But it wasn't long before it faded.

When my father was a child, everyone was supposed to take a second language. Since Vietnam was a French colony for so long, it was common that children picked up French as a second language. My dad took English, and was even chastised for it.

Turned out to come in handy when it came to translate for the American soldiers.

Now I wish I held on to that language.

Well, basically my pals were swedish and according to them the people were happy because they thought they were american. Would like to pay a visit, Ho Chi Minh city for a few days before retreating to some peaceful shoreside village. Shame that the jungles seem to be quite annoying.

Tone Guest
    That's like me, Fras.

I knew spanish before I knew english but when my parents split up I had no one to speak it to and lost it.

I think you should go, money is money - this is an experience that will last a lifetime.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ho Chi Minh city AKA Saigon before the North captured it.

That's where my father used to live.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    FYI - The locals still call it Saigon, not Ho Chi Minh. That's why I'm in the habit of calling it that.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    One of my friends in middle school was from Vietnam. His entire name was Fi Le Vo (I'm not sure if that was the spelling)

Anyways, I know a number of people who have been to Vietnam, and I'm not talking about the war. Like other people have said, the Vietnamese are real friendly to Americans

So there do exist places in the world that don't hate US Citizens?! Sweet! I can travel now!

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Haha yep. I think the main reason Americans travel abroad is for business. My dad hates travelling, and only went to Germany and Japan for business because he had too. Like today, he is picking up some business partners from Japan at the airport, which is probably why THEY travel. Who has time to take long vacations?

Btw, someone said something about the jungle being in the way or something.... I love the jungle and there have gotta be a lot of other people that do too! So much fun. If you go Fras, go into the jungle where it is at least safe to do so

awesome fras, have a great time, did you decide to go then? i've always wanted to go to the far east... especially Thailand

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The jungle there isn't very 'jungle-like'. It has some wicked nasty spiders though. Big and hairy.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    How do you mean? It wasn't thick or what?

I've been to the jungle in Central America before and it rocked my socks

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    You can get a full body massage for $5. I don't know what they charge for the 'extras'....but I'd imagine it's not much.
    Lol, they ask "you like happy ending?"
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's not like the jungle in Central America. It has some palms here and there, and some bamboo and banana trees. But it wasn't dense and humid and lush, like I thought it would be.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Lol, they ask "you like happy ending?"
    Actually, yeah. Acouple of the guys from my group went, just to get massages. The girls asked what they wanted for their 'extras', and they both said 'nothing', and apparently they got pretty upset and pouty with them. They said it was funny, and yet kinda weird at the same time. Then they told us not to go there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast