+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a dog

that's cool.

i was gonna tell you, but i forgot... it takes years to get a dog to walk with you without a leash. sabrina can almost do it but she still gets distracted. and she's a very well behaved dog 3 years old.

it takes i'd say 5-7 years to get them to do that with A LOT of training.

don't forget about the money. you have to save up a lot in case of emergencies. if one of our dogs get hit by a car for instance (god forbid), they will need a lot of surgery and if i weren't able to afford it we'd have to put them down.

ay dios mio it pains me to even think about it.

my dogs are well behaved because mikey trained them. he is excellent with dogs. better than the dog whisperer. he got our 150 pound mastiff to get along with our little baron. if kubla were in better shape he would've killed baron in a second and had him for breakfast.
    Last edited by misombra; 27-07-08 at 07:07 AM.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

anachronistic Guest
    Before buying a dog I should definitely read a lot on dog training. That way I can train him better.

I remember when we let our scotty play with my aunt's wolf dog. It surprised me that the scotty almost tore the wolf dog up. Scottish terriors are little devils!

I would want the dog to attack on command too. I bet that takes even more training that getting him to follow without a leash. I'd have to train him to listen to only me for that command. Then if someone decides to get hostile with the dog or me, I could just point and tell him to kill, haha.

How about getting a girlfriend instead?

Also got a thing for having a wolf-like dog, definitely a breed of a husky. If I end up having to live on my own in the future (hope it won't happen, but meh.) I would consider getting one, if I wouldn't end up pouring spare time into work instead just for the hell of it.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    that's cool.

i was gonna tell you, but i forgot... it takes years to get a dog to walk with you without a leash. sabrina can almost do it but she still gets distracted. and she's a very well behaved dog 3 years old.

it takes i'd say 5-7 years to get them to do that with A LOT of training.

don't forget about the money. you have to save up a lot in case of emergencies. if one of our dogs get hit by a car for instance (god forbid), they will need a lot of surgery and if i weren't able to afford it we'd have to put them down.

ay dios mio it pains me to even think about it.

my dogs are well behaved because mikey trained them. he is excellent with dogs. better than the dog whisperer. he got our 150 mastiff to get along with our little baron. if kubla were in better shape he would've killed baron in a second and had him for breakfast.
    That's cute.
    Live together. Die alone - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvi_RCM3FAM[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by anachronistic View Post
    Before buying a dog I should definitely read a lot on dog training. That way I can train him better.

I remember when we let our scotty play with my aunt's wolf dog. It surprised me that the scotty almost tore the wolf dog up. Scottish terriors are little devils!

I would want the dog to attack on command too. I bet that takes even more training that getting him to follow without a leash. I'd have to train him to listen to only me for that command. Then if someone decides to get hostile with the dog or me, I could just point and tell him to kill, haha.

the thing about training a dog to attack is that your dog would get injured too, whether he wins the fight or loses.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Citycat View Post
    How about getting a girlfriend instead?
    Or both? See, the things with dogs, is you can buy them when their young and train them. You can't do that with women I'm sure I will eventually find a nice woman, but that's not going to eliminate my desire to have a dog. Say... what do you say; you and I ... ?

the thing about training a dog to attack is that your dog would get injured too, whether he wins the fight or loses.
    I don't think it's the training that would injure the dog, but the actual situation.. not saying that training is 100% safe, but yeah. The purpose of training the dog to attack would be to protect us both. Chances are if you are attacked, you're both going to get hurt, but if you know how to attack back, you can reduce the chances of that happening.

And if your dog looks intimidating, chances are people won't even bother.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 27-07-08 at 07:35 AM.

I want one, too. This kind...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oLdX5wmLis"]YouTube - french bulldog babies[/ame]

anachronistic Guest
    French bulldogs are cute, but I want a big dog that seems more like a companion than a youngin'.

Tone Guest
    Come on, lilwing.

Getting a dog now would be extremely selfish. All the reasons you listed are for your own benefit, you want ppl to be intimidated by your wolf-dog, you want to have a companion at the river, etc etc.

But you're a student and you said it yourself.. they don't allow pets on campus and you don't want a dog cramped up in some apartment w/ other ppl sitting bored while you're at school all day.

Think about the animal.

Take it from me man... no one wants a dog worse than I do. Whenever I'm at someone's house and they have a dog I give the dog more attention than I do them.

But I know that this is not the right time. So I just have to be sad and lonely until I'm in a more stable situation... done w/ school and can provide a good home.

If you do go through with it though, rescue a dog that needs it. Adopt one, don't support a pet shop or anything like that.

[url]http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com[/url]

PS>> Kiechi I LOVE Huskies too!! Eventually I would love to have AT LEAST a Huskie and a German Shepherd... those 2 dogs have had a place in my heart since I was a little boy.

Tone Guest
    my dogs are well behaved because mikey trained them. he is excellent with dogs. better than the dog whisperer.
    Blasphemy!

The Dog Whisperer is fantastic. Look him up, Cesar Millan.

He truly understands dog pyschology. They are not humans so they do not function the same way we do.

In a dog's world it's all about dominance and the pack. You have to establish yourself as the pack leader.

I love Cesar Millan, if you watch his show he says that 99% of the time when he deals w/ misbehaved dogs it's the owner's fault and not the dog.

Yeah, don't get a dog right now. Not until you finish school and have stabilized your place of residence.

I wanted a dog when I broke up with my ex...I thought it would be a great way to make myself feel better and take the attention/love from her and transfer it to something of more value. It probably would have.

But then I realized, I have zero time to take care of one, and they're expensive.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Come on, lilwing.

Getting a dog now would be extremely selfish. All the reasons you listed are for your own benefit, you want ppl to be intimidated by your wolf-dog, you want to have a companion at the river, etc etc.

But you're a student and you said it yourself.. they don't allow pets on campus and you don't want a dog cramped up in some apartment w/ other ppl sitting bored while you're at school all day.

Think about the animal.

Take it from me man... no one wants a dog worse than I do. Whenever I'm at someone's house and they have a dog I give the dog more attention than I do them.

But I know that this is not the right time. So I just have to be sad and lonely until I'm in a more stable situation... done w/ school and can provide a good home.

If you do go through with it though, rescue a dog that needs it. Adopt one, don't support a pet shop or anything like that.

[url]http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com[/url]

PS>> Kiechi I LOVE Huskies too!! Eventually I would love to have AT LEAST a Huskie and a German Shepherd... those 2 dogs have had a place in my heart since I was a little boy.
    I feel ya tone, the exact same. I believe that human-animal relationships are just as important and mutual as human-human relationships. I put myself in the dog's position... that's why I haven't just gone off and gotten a dog.

About rescued animals... is it more difficult to train a fully grown dog? I think it would be...

My parents "rescued" a well-trained weimaraner; they're not necessarily not trained, just absent an owner for myriad reasons.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast