+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The official "I go to Uni/College thread..."

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    You are sooooooo gonna love studying abroad in Germany
    I thought anachronistic was already living in Germany.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    I thought anachronistic was already living in Germany.
    Why? Do I seem like a German?

Hahaha, I know I know... that's because the Germans do it better.

First year done in Higher Art College, although I wouldn't call it under any circumstances a higher school...
    I am studing media and art of commercials, although I think I should have gone into painting which probably suites me more. Its also funny how most of the people in painting course can't paint correctly.
    Don't expect anything.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    First year done in Higher Art College, although I wouldn't call it under any circumstances a higher school...
    I am studing media and art of commercials, although I think I should have gone into painting which probably suites me more. Its also funny how most of the people in painting course can't paint correctly.
    It's the same way here in America; most students in art classes don't know what they are doing.

But I am not sure if they should or shouldn't be in the classes yet. Maybe they are going to school to learn how... because why would a person go to a class to learn how to paint, if he already knows how to do it? I think there should be sort of seminar classes for artists who know what they are doing... classes without teachers. The point of the class could be to critique each other's art work, and maybe share methods and ideas with other artists. That's kind of like how some art forums are right now... but instead you'd be right there, and you could watch each other in the works.

I never understood those liberal arts classes. I loved them but it seemed that most required that you have some knowledge in the subject already: music (piano), theatre, painting, language arts.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    I never understood those liberal arts classes. I loved them but it seemed that most required that you have some knowledge in the subject already: music (piano), theatre, painting, language arts.
    The hardest part for me was learning to conform to art classes at school. Everything I know, guitar, drawing, painting, calligraphy, it was all self-taught... so I was not used to this art school thing. But it has certainly helped.

Many people just think that you sit and draw pretty pictures in a class like back in kindergarten... but you do have to have a knowledge of it before you pursue it. That goes with anything.

You see, art is not something that you can study in one night, like math formulas or language rules. Art requires constant practice and skill, you have to show some interest to be worth the art school. Also, art is not only drawing, anyone can draw something, but its at least 60% thinking.
    There are lower grades for basic drawing and painting courses. There the people considers wether he/she likes it enough or not. If the subject is likeable, its most likely they will develope some sort of skill. Even in last century there were lower schools where children drew better than people today in higher art schools. And if teachers start to cry when they have to grade the works, then there is clearly something wrong.
    But yes, I don't know how its in other countries but in my school, art lessons could be improved, right now there is lack of teaching and just practice.
    Don't expect anything.

In the middle of the year, so I'll post the last semester and upcoming semester subjects. Haven't picked the next year ones yet.

Semester 1 - Spring 2008.

Natural Environments
    Governing Environments
    Designing Environments
    Ecological History of Humanity

Semester 2 - Autumn 2008

Reshaping Environments
    Constructing Environments
    Virtual Environments
    Seeing : The Whole Picture

I want to stab the lecturers if they use more "_____ environments" subjects.

So few semester subjects? Wow, I am surprised. But I guess its a good thing, you can concentrate and learn more.

I have at least 10 subjects. All really dissapointing crap.

Lilwig, what school are you going? Is the learning process completely in german there? How much does it cost? I think I want to change schools.
    Don't expect anything.

anachronistic Guest
    Some people are going to like your art, and some are not. A teacher can't teach you how to make good art. They can show you techniques, they can refer you to other artists, but you can't 'learn' how to make art. You can't 'learn' how to make music. What makes good art and what makes bad art is at the discretion of the viewers, really. So yes, it takes a lot of thinking. I think there are a lot of things that go into art that people don't realize... mathematics... science...philosophy. To take everything you know, and use it to make something that will make people think... to show them something they didn't see before... to get them to think about an idea they haven't yet considered... but yet make it understandable... art is basically a form of teaching if you want it to be. But before you do any of that, you have to be able to see the world for what it really is.

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by boobaa View Post
    So few semester subjects? Wow, I am surprised. But I guess its a good thing, you can concentrate and learn more.

I have at least 10 subjects. All really dissapointing crap.

Lilwig, what school are you going? Is the learning process completely in german there? How much does it cost? I think I want to change schools.
    School as I know it is very unique from most other places. I sent you a little PM about that.

1 semester here costs about $10,000, I think. Are you talking about tuition alone? I think it costs about $18 credit/hour for the art classes.

You might consider changing schools. I've thought about it, but my philosophy now is that education is what you make of it. All I have taken so far is the basic foundation courses.. but this next semester I will learn how valuable the program really is. I've heard rumors that the photo teacher is magnificent, and is actually a very well internationally known artist... but the painting professor is an asswipe. I guess I will see for myself.

The one thing I like about the program is that graduate students teach some of the classes. It gives you a little better insight.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'm doing my Bachelor of Commerce with a major in Human Resources Management.

I haven't registered for my fall courses yet (lazy me) but I'm sure it will be a lot of the same old same old....accounting, statistics, human resources crap, economics.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hey, you know who else goes to college?

YOUR MOM GOES TO COLLEGE! Oooohhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    I'm doing my Bachelor of Commerce with a major in Human Resources Management.

I haven't registered for my fall courses yet (lazy me) but I'm sure it will be a lot of the same old same old....accounting, statistics, human resources crap, economics.
    Doesn't sound as if you like it much

I'd never do finance, economics, commerce or accounting. Bores me to death.

Tone Guest
    I hear that Lipp.

blue what do you want to be when you grow up?

I'm taking Conservation Biology in the Fisheries & Wildlife program @ the University of Nebraska- Lincoln. 4 weeks til class!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast