View Poll Results: Philadelphia is part of "the North"

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree with Frasbee, Philadelphia is part of "the North".

10 76.92%
  • I agree with DM, Philadelphia is not part of "the North".

3 23.08%
+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Frasbee vs Doesntmatter

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Thing is, the entire west coast of Canada doesn't really count for north or south, because you don't get cold or snowy weather

I wouldn't go so far as to call PA the south, but come on, it isn't the north

And btw Fras, logic doesn't play into these arbitrary opinions anywhere

I'd call PA a mid-Atlantic state

I like to make the cutoff around the latitude of Syracuse to Rochester to Buffalo to Hamilton (Ontario) to Detroit as being the beginning of north

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    FYI, West Coast of Canada = Vancouver (and mbe Victoria). There's basically nothing else.

East Coast of Canada = Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax (the large urban centres)

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Thing is, the entire west coast of Canada doesn't really count for north or south, because you don't get cold or snowy weather
    PS - 30 minutes from my house in winter:

[url]http://www.cypressmountain.com/dh.html[/url]

There are other mtns that are closer. And you can ski at Whistler all year except July/August (well, you can heliski the glacier).

(watch DM will ignore this post as he does when he's blatantly wrong)

The Mason Dixon Line...

Doesn't matter what anyone else wants to consider the south or north. Anything above the mason dixon line is considered the north. anything below is considered the south.

PHILADELPHIA IS A NORTHERN CITY
    Last edited by Hollywood; 10-10-08 at 09:31 AM. Reason: bbc code fix

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    (watch DM will ignore this post as he does when he's blatantly wrong)
    Actually when I'm blatantly wrong I accept it completely if whatever else was completely right. When have I EVER ignored your posts? You are the one who ignores most of my points

Do you live in the mountain range? No, and you therefore live in a completely different environment. You can ski in Hawaii, but most people in Hawaii aren't elevated in the mountain range

I was in Buffalo for 4 days when a storm dropped 8 or 9 feet of snow on us. A 15 minute drive south, and there was about 6 inches of snow

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You said we don't get cold or snowy weather. I was just letting you know we do. Not as much as Toronto, but certainly more than Hawaii or California.

FYI, Vancouver is NOT like Hawaii. A lot of Vancouver is at altitude, esp in the burbs. I have to shovel snow off my walk a few times each year. Nothing like the snow belt in Ontario, tho, that's true. I actually am surrounded by mtns & live at about 300m.

When were you in Vancouver, DM? I've been to NY state and NYC several times.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    When were you in Vancouver, DM? I've been to NY state and NYC several times.
    NY state? That doesn't matter, there are 2 narrow snowbelts and anything outside that area may as well be Kansas. Specifically, if you have been in Western NY such as specifically Buffalo (not south of it) or Rochester, or Oswego on the eastern end of Lake Ontario during winter, you have personally seen snow effects

Btw, I don't need to have traveled to Vancouver to know your weather, I can look it up on weather sites and know your monthly averages and snowfalls. And I know that it doesn't get that cold there and you guys get essentially 0 snowfall. Toronto also gets very little snow on account of being north of the lake

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That's funny. I've lived in both Toronto & Vancouver and I remember this really heavy white stuff each year. In Toronto, it buried my car several times.

Guess I must have been imagining it.

The weather charts for Vancouver are created at the airport in Richmond, BC. Its at sea level & they get rain b/c of the particular microclimate there. Unless you've lived in Vancouver, you haven't a clue how variable the weather is regionally.

But, of course, you think all knowledge comes from a book or its equivalent. If you'd like to actually learn something, this winter, look up the weather in Vancouver (airport) and then take a look at here, which is a mere 12km away:

[url]http://www.ots.sfu.ca/ots/webcams[/url]

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    That's funny. I've lived in both Toronto & Vancouver and I remember this really heavy white stuff each year. In Toronto, it buried my car several times.

Guess I must have been imagining it.
    No, you just don't know what a significant snowfall looks like (at least over 3 feet, at least once per year to have regular significant snowfalls)

But, of course, you think all knowledge comes from a book or its equivalent. If you'd like to actually learn something, this winter, look up the weather in Vancouver (airport) and then take a look at here, which is a mere 12km away:

[url]http://www.ots.sfu.ca/ots/webcams[/url]
    When cities average more than 5 times your average snowfall it is considered somewhat significant, and snowfall there insignificant

And like I said, 15 minute drive south of where there was 8 or 9 feet of standing snow, there was 6 inches. In Italy I was enjoying a day in the low 80s, and a half hour later I saw snow!

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    No, you just don't know what a significant snowfall looks like (at least over 3 feet, at least once per year to have regular significant snowfalls)
    Yes, DM, I do. The Toronto area is more than downtown, or the airport.

In any case, it does snow in Vancouver, which you said it didn't. You weren't making a comparison in your original post. I am not going to argue with you anymore about something I know from personal experience & you don't.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 10-10-08 at 09:57 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yes, DM, I do. The Toronto area is more than downtown, or the airport.
    The reason there are huge differences in snowfall around Buffalo is because of LAKE EFFECT SNOW! Toronto almost NEVER gets lake effect snow!

On account of being NORTH of the lake, MOVING around near Toronto WON'T make you get to areas that experience MORE snowfall!!!!!!!

It's that simple, in snowbelts small distances make big differences, Toronto is not in a snowbelt!!!!!!!

In any case, it does snow in Vancouver, which you said it didn't. You weren't making a comparison in your original post. I am not going to argue with you anymore about something I know from personal experience & you don't.
    When I said they don't get any snow, anything less than 30 inches a year is essentially no snow

This is LoveForum's funniest argument ever.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Thanks for clarifying that which I never argued about, DM.

isn't vancouver part of the whole western mountain ranges?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

It doesn't snow in Canada, that's just DM's dandruff, blowing in the wind

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast