+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homemade tooth whiteners - anyone?

I've done baking soda with peroxide before and it worked pretty good for what it was.

Take the baking soda put a scoop in a little cup, mix in hydrogen peroxide until it becomes a paste. Like I said before, don't do this all the time.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Isn't peroxide linked to a "hairy tongue"?

EDIT: nevermind. It is. You'd better go easy on the peroxide.

[url]http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/black-hairy-tongue/HQ00325[/url]
    Last edited by vashti; 03-12-08 at 11:21 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I use steel wool to scrub away the stains. Leaves my teeth looking white as a ginger's ass.

lol The advertisement on my screen is funny. Yellow teeth photo...white teeth photo. Ewww lol
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

I'd probably be too worried about trying out any home-made concoction if the mixing or application was wrong and things went bad If that happened with a medically provided one I could probably sue them or something.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    baking soda and salt. maybe some peroxide.
    I second the hydrogen peroxide after brushing. Dilute to 3%. Just rinse well so you don't irritate your gums. The baking soda and salt will also help b/c its more abrasive than most toothpaste.

The other thing you can do is actually wipe your teeth. Use something like a strong paper towel. Lots of ppl have poor brushing technique and it leaves stuff on their teeth.

If that doesn't work, you may need to see a dentist about professional whitening. Esp if your yellow teeth are due to something like tetracycline ingestion as a child.

By the way, a nice professional cleaning always helps. All kinds of gunk forms on the surface of your teeth that you can't always brush off with a toothbrush.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post

they say it's caused by use of peroxide but then a treatment for it is diluted peroxide. my friend told me about 30% peroxide or something like that... it's supposed to better for you, or something.

anyway the salt and baking soda mix is also what i use to keep my feet clean and uncalloused and smelling good.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post

There are different kinds of peroxide. They actually suggest hydrogen peroxide as a treatment:

Some tips for removing the discoloration include:

* Gently brush your tongue with a toothbrush twice a day.
    * Rinse your mouth with diluted hydrogen peroxide (one part peroxide to five parts water) or apply it with a toothbrush. Rinse your mouth with water afterward.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    they say it's caused by use of peroxide but then a treatment for it is diluted peroxide. my friend told me about 30% peroxide or something like that... it's supposed to better for you, or something.
    30% would damage you, I think. H2O2 is what the astronauts used to use in their jet packs, Miso. At high concentration, it destroys human tissue.

I'm guessing a 3% solution? That's the typical concentration used. Even getting 10% is relatively unusual unless you work in a lab.

i don't know. alls i know is it's more.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, I think the %age for hair coloring is around 10%, and that's pretty strong, so that should give you an idea. She could have meant 30 volumes, which is a different unit.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I bought those OTC whitening agents for my daughter when she got her braces off. Whatever they put in there (I'm pretty sure it was hydrogen peroxide) messed with her tongue because she was using it more frequently and for longer periods of time than the suggested amount... Her taste buds were irritated and swollen, and her tongue began looking a wee bit "furry", but it was white rather than black. She nearly had a nervous breakdown. Now she won't touch the stuff.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

yeah, you can't use too much of it.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    30% would damage you, I think. H2O2 is what the astronauts used to use in their jet packs, Miso. At high concentration, it destroys human tissue.

I'm guessing a 3% solution? That's the typical concentration used. Even getting 10% is relatively unusual unless you work in a lab.
    i am using a 21% carbamide peroxide
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast