+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Present Worth $1000

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I honestly don't know what I'm going to do with the money.

The only large purchase I'd like to make is a car, but financially I'm not ready to handle full insurance and a car payment.

So the money will probably just sit there, and I'll just stare at it, everyday, wondering what to do with this money.

I'll PM you my addess and you give me the pin number, okay?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Fras, if you put that money into a retirement plan, its not just the interest you'll get, its the tax deduction. I don't know your particular situation, but for some, for every 10K invested, you'll save 1/2 of that in taxes alone. Where else can you make a 50% interest rate right now?

Just saying, since you don't seem to urgently need the money otherwise. No point in giving more to the govt than necessary.

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you got a Costco membership, AMEX is the only card they take.
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

How I Spent 1000 dollars.

Confirmed Purchases

More to come...

Klein 8 Pocket Electrician's Tool Pouch
    $44.00

Klein Heavy Duty 2'' Leather Embossed Tool Belt
    $18.50

Canon Powershot SD990 ELPH Digital Camera

Extra 2 GB SD Card

2 Year Protection Plan

Have you thought about buying on ebay? I've saved hundreds buying stuff on ebay.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    Have you thought about buying on ebay? I've saved hundreds buying stuff on ebay.
    I saved 100 dollars buying that digital camera on a website recommended by a professional photographer.

And those tools are hard to find anywhere else but specific tool websites I've scoured over the past year.

I'm probably only going to post the big purchases I'm making on-line as many of them are hard to find in walk-in stores and/or I'm actually saving a lot buying them on these websites.

did you get health insurance? leave it as standby money for emergencies if you can convert it to cash that is?

have a look at what kind of interest rates you can get in the banks. atm over here our government owned post offices are offering 21% interest, start putting money into it monthly if you can afford to and then you will have a nice nestegg eventually.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    I saved 100 dollars buying that digital camera on a website recommended by a professional photographer.

And those tools are hard to find anywhere else but specific tool websites I've scoured over the past year.

I'm probably only going to post the big purchases I'm making on-line as many of them are hard to find in walk-in stores and/or I'm actually saving a lot buying them on these websites.
    May I ask what site this is? I'm curious because most of my camera stuff buying is at bhphoto.com which is usually the best price, service, and selection. But your price is under what they have it listed for.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    May I ask what site this is? I'm curious because most of my camera stuff buying is at bhphoto.com which is usually the best price, service, and selection. But your price is under what they have it listed for.
    [url]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/584423-REG/Canon_2669B001_PowerShot_SD990_IS_Digital.html[/url]

(the non-package deal)
    Last edited by Junket; 30-12-08 at 10:30 AM.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    did you get health insurance? leave it as standby money for emergencies if you can convert it to cash that is?

have a look at what kind of interest rates you can get in the banks. atm over here our government owned post offices are offering 21% interest, start putting money into it monthly if you can afford to and then you will have a nice nestegg eventually.
    I cannot convert it directly to cash.

I do save, and I have a few thousand in reserve that has never been touched since I paid off my student loans with it.

My company agreed to pay for half of my monthly bill, so my health insurance will only cost me about 43 dollars a month.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

12 volt lithium ion 3/8'' drill/driver with speed and torque settings

$153.48

iPod dock station for Bosch Work Radio

$42.97

Extra 18 Volt Bosch Battery

$83.13

I say save a bit and go with a slightly cheaper canon point and shoot. You won't notice any difference in image quality going with the sd990 vs a little cheaper one.

Really once you get to 8mgp it really doesn't make a difference. The canon 5D which is, by many, considered to be one of the sharpest DSLR bodies has 12.8. I'm a big fan of the sd1100 is. It's smaller, cheaper, and all around just as good. Sure it's 8megapixels vs 14, but there's no need for 14mgp on a point and shoot. 8 is plenty even for a DSLR.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I say save a bit and go with a slightly cheaper canon point and shoot. You won't notice any difference in image quality going with the sd990 vs a little cheaper one.

Really once you get to 8mgp it really doesn't make a difference. The canon 5D which is, by many, considered to be one of the sharpest DSLR bodies has 12.8. I'm a big fan of the sd1100 is. It's smaller, cheaper, and all around just as good. Sure it's 8megapixels vs 14, but there's no need for 14mgp on a point and shoot. 8 is plenty even for a DSLR.
    Well, I've already purchased it.

My dad was originally going to get me a DSLR, but I wasn't keen on paying so much for a camera. However, I've been thinking about getting into photography more (as a hobby), and that photographer (my g/f's sister), recommended this because as an amateur, I'd have versatility without having to worry about upgrading.

At least with tools, I learned my lesson about trying to start on the "cheaper" end and work my way up and it usually turns out to be a waste of money as I end up upgrading soon after anyway.

Only a 12 volt driver? Doing light electrical work or something b/c I find that anything less than 18 can just be a pain to use.

Lithium-ion is pretty slick, outshines traditional nickel-cadmium or w/e they are, plus bosch makes nice tools.

Edit: Just realized its a mini driver, idk if they have an 18v mini driver yet, haven't bothered to look at work.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast