+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with babies?

Quote Originally Posted by Indignant View Post
    the older you get, the less patience you will have to raise your child. you might not be able to enjoy and bond with your kids as much.
    That's true. Also the older you get the more difficult it becomes to become pregnant. One of my co-workers was trying to get pregnant by her husband since her late twenties, she only got pregnant ten years later. There are also issues of health, the older women get the more negative health consequences there are to consider. More likelihood of damage to the baby or the mother.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I can't completely agree with you.

I also think the younger you are, the more resentment there will be for the child.

Those that have children later will most likely be making a more calculated decision.

I also don't mind the idea of adoption.

I wouldn't mind adoption at the age of 40. Grandparents usually like raising their grandchildren. I'll be a parent when I should be a grandparent hehe.

I love my lifestyle so much right now. I would certainly not be on LF posting. I can imagine the stress, etc. It's a gift but it's a gift I can deal without right now.

Oh, and I doubt the bonding thing. I watched my grandparents deal with newborns and toddlers. If I am physcially fit at "old age" then all is well. I have noticed great bonding from older people. But that's just my observation.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Bottom line... too young right now to be giving serious thought to having children... probably spend the next few years trying to straighten out my life... accomplish some goals I have been wanting to do... enjoy life... and after all that, if I still have this inclination to want children then I may have children.

Till then, if nothing else... I want to make something of my life, enjoy it... and if I should have any kids... I'll have the 'lead by example' approach which should make raising them a little easier.

May not be the best plan... but it's what I got right now... and hopefully it'll keep me out of trouble...
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    If my ex didn't want kids I would have been married by now. I didn't want kids and still don't. Hopefully I will get the urge before it's too late lol. I'm beginning to doubt that.

I was in a similar situation Lesa. My last boyfriend was desperate to have a family. It was the reason why we broke up because we wanted different things from life.

Being a parent is the most important job and I have the utmost respect for parents (especially the good ones). I however am not sure that I am up for that job.

I imagine myself being one of those crazy animal ladies (Simpson's cat lady???) and devoting my life to other volunteer causes.

Anyone that knows what I chose to do for a living also knows I want kids of my own as soon as possible and lots of them. I'm a kindergarden teacher..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think it's very ironic that genuine, responsible and caring people are choosing not to have children, while people who shouldn't have kids have them by bucket loads. It reminds me of film by Mike Judge called Idiocracy [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy[/url] it's scary to think that what's shown there is even a remote possibility.

I propose a coalition of "responsible and caring adults for having lots of children" to out breed the irresponsible ones!
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    Anyone that knows what I chose to do for a living also knows I want kids of my own as soon as possible and lots of them. I'm a kindergarden teacher..

Haha I used to teach as well and that just turned me off the little bastards

Quote Originally Posted by Dasein View Post
    I was in a similar situation Lesa. My last boyfriend was desperate to have a family. It was the reason why we broke up because we wanted different things from life.

Being a parent is the most important job and I have the utmost respect for parents (especially the good ones). I however am not sure that I am up for that job.

I imagine myself being one of those crazy animal ladies (Simpson's cat lady???) and devoting my life to other volunteer causes.
    Yeah, having a family can be a dealbreaker in relationships. Many people don't realize that until they are deep in the relationship. My married friend hopefully won't experience what we did (Especially since she is married). Her husband wants lots of children and she has none yet and is in her early thirties. She probably doesn't understand that this could be a major conflict in her relatonship. I'm not going to interfere and hope everything will be okay with them.

Parenthood is great but should I have them if I really don't feel up to the work? I believe I would be a great parent if it happens but it just scares the crap out of me. And my ex had the added problem of wanting sons. If he wasn't like that I probably would have been more willing. I felt like I would be abandoned if things didn't work as he planned with having children.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Dasein View Post
    Haha I used to teach as well and that just turned me off the little bastards
    And I babysat them hehe

Actually it was fun.

Would people be less scared of having kids if they came with instructions?

(Ponders ideas for a future book)
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    the older you get, the less patience you will have to raise your child. you might not be able to enjoy and bond with your kids as much.
    I completely disagree with this. Except for mbe Ben Buttons.

Its always the young, obviously struggling moms that are freaking out on their kids in the public places, not the older ones. And if they can't control themselves in public, then it can only be worse in private. Whether its b/c they are tired or wiser, dunno, but the kids with older parents always seem better for it.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    Would people be less scared of having kids if they came with instructions?

(Ponders ideas for a future book)
    I posted this before but its such an excellent book it deserves another link:

[url]http://www.omnipotentchild.com/omnipotentchild.html[/url]
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I propose a coalition of "responsible and caring adults for having lots of children" to out breed the irresponsible ones!
    That's a catch-22 if ever I saw one.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Totally disagree. All of the older parents I know enjoy their kids more because they usually don't have the financial struggles younger couples have to deal with.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast