+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why am I considered an "adult" if I am still treated like a child?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    I agree with you, RSK. Our high school kids *aren't* as mature as they are in many other parts of the world.
    Some are but the others ruin it for all.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    In my experience, most aren't, and I am - generally speaking - okay with that. Our kids don't have to deal with the kind of adversities kids from other areas have to deal with, so they don't have to grow up so fast. We are lucky.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    This is true.

I just think some don't know how to manage money, drinking (be responsible with drinking and driving), or sex (have orgies in a hotel or cruise) and deal with those consequences because the parents failed to reiterate the importance of those things. Some teens just have no value once they leave the parents.

Many places are hoping that these adults have grown out of Erikson's identity versus role confusion stage of development where they get into all types of moral issues.

It's not about luck. It's about being spoiled, naive, or ignorant. There are older adults like that too but difficult for the parents to "bail" them out or blame it on age if they are 21 or over ****ing up.
    Last edited by lesa; 26-01-09 at 06:12 AM.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Welcome to being an adult - rules that are unfair, make no sense whatsoever, and are guaranteed to piss you off!

I am so glad you could finally make it... and yes, the controversial double standards and mind-boggling inequalities of life are plentiful and renewable... so have no fear, there's enough for everybody!

Haha!
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

I think the ones who feel it is fine is fine with it because they are already beyond the age, so you could care less if the youngins' like myself could do these things. I am not an irresponsible person. Yes, I have made mistakes in my life, but everyone does. When you associate all people to be alcoholics and sex craved teens its an insult to the ones who arent. And might I add, I think the kids that end up going wild at 18 are the ones who were locked up their entire teenage lives not having the ability to enjoy their young days. They are definitely most likely to act out than the ones who had some form of time to hang with friends or whatever growing up in my opinion.

It ****in sucks being grouped with all those other teens that are irresponsible. I want to go on a vacation and experience traveling alone like the grown woman I'm supposed to be, not be treated like a damn child.

AND might I add, why couldnt it just be 20? 20 is not teen.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

You are never independent. So they won't let you drink. Hell, I don't get why I can't drive as fast as I want even though I am 26 already. What kind of an adult can not travel what ever speed he desires?!
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Why don't you just do something besides a cruise, nisha? Then these restrictions won't apply.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I remember not being allowed to go to the karaoke bars with my date.

No problem...I went to other places.

When I finally became of age, I didn't have the desire to go there.

Some people have birthday celebrations at places they were not allowed to go a day ago.

I have tried getting a rental car and hotel when I was traveling and had to get someone older etc. I was pissed off because I knew the rules were there because of too many young people doing something crazy.

I didn't worry about it because I knew I would be older and have to deal with other stupid rules of my life.

There are other things you can enjoy.

I obviously have no choice but to do something else. But I will do it eventually, this was just a rant of how unfair we are treated as young adults yet they want us to "grow up" and act like adults when treated like a child regardless.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

"The decrease in the drinking age brought about an increase in alcohol traffic fatalities and injuries. So much so that, by 1983, 16 states voluntarily raised their drinking age back to 21—a move that brought about an immediate decrease in drinking and driving traffic fatalities incidents."

[url]http://www.why21.org/history/[/url]

If this website is true then that just goes along with the "others ruin it for all" statement I made. Teen brains .

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Rules are just there to stop ppl from doing things they don't want to badly enough. They are designed to give ppl pause to think. After that, its all about choice and personal responsibility.

Nisha, if you want to go on this cruise, I'm sure you can figure out a way to do so. Same for OV with wanting to drive fast. Trip to Germany?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins View Post
    You are never independent. So they won't let you drink. Hell, I don't get why I can't drive as fast as I want even though I am 26 already. What kind of an adult can not travel what ever speed he desires?!
    The kind of adult who has to avoid slower drivers that might cause them to get into an accident. The rules are there not only to save lives, but to enforce emissions standards and mileage standards to reduce pollution.

But then again, driving is a privilege in this country. Not a right. You gain the privilege based upon your agreement to accept the laws of the state through which you are traveling.

And, being 26 means nothing to me. While I lived in Phoenix I saw an overturned vehicle once per week. Including one accident that happened in front of me that required me to pull a guy out of his SUV that was on its side and leaking gas, then help push the SUV back onto its wheels to unpin the passenger whose arm was under the side of the SUV. Phoenix is pretty much the worst of LA's drivers concentrated. I was rear-ended 3 times in 2 years, once from a dead stop at a stop light.

Then again, I grew up in what is effectively the city with the safest drivers in the country so I'm a little biased.

People here in Washington (state) tend to not drive, they kind of just meander about. Throw in a good dose of Californians and you have a dangerous mix of high and low speed drivers co-mingling on the roadway.

But as my driver's ed instructor said to me, "Nothing's illegal until you get caught."
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    well i have stayed out of this thread for long enough. anyways, the reason why people can carry a gun and go fight for our country and die for our country is because the government doesn't really care if you live or die. plain and simple.

however, when it comes to deals that involved money or rather larger amounts of money like renting a car or taking this trip alone that may involve large alcohol consumption, do you think the companies are willing to take these risks? i know when you f*ck up a car or let's say you do something stupid on this trip, then it makes the company look bad because of their lack of judgment in character. they are basically treating you like a child because honestly being 18 still is a child. think about it, does a number of years a person have been alive just suddenly make them mature at 18?

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Of course it doesnt make them mature. But what makes you so sure we are ALL immature? Its unfair to put us all in the same category and say we all want to get drunk and **** things up when in reality that is nowhere near the truth. I surely dont care to get drunk or **** things up. I want a vacation to relax and enjoy myself and I am 18.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast