+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I love my neighborhood

Vashti where is that? It's pretty gorgeous there.

Funny thing was I brought my DSLR (heavy ass backpack) riding and was going to take some pictures to rub in the faces of those snowed-in. But I forgot my card at home. Next time, lol.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Fras, you and your SO can come visit, anytime. Actually, there are a couple of you that I would let my house to next trip we take. Next time.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah, I took some nice photos today, but many of them are too large to upload on many free image hosting sites. And I don't feel like going through the trouble of downsizing them.

EDIT: While we're on the topic of photos, my girlfriend took one of us about a month ago that I kinda liked. I posted it in the gallery. It may not be on the front page, but if you look through the "members gallery" or search Frasbee, you should find it.
    Last edited by Junket; 01-02-09 at 11:08 AM.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    Vashti where is that? It's pretty gorgeous there.
    Valencia. Great bike paths here, too. That bike tour (Amgen?) was here a while back.

Don't you live near the beach? You should post some beach photos.

California is a fantastic place to live, and I don't know of anywhere better. Other places may be pretty, but their weather sucks, and they lack the biodiversity of California.
    From the California Biodiversity Council:

California Biodiversity Facts
    California is one of the most biologically diverse areas in the world. Within its 160,000 square miles, California harbors more unique plants and animals than any other state.

Each year, some 14 million wild ducks and geese funnel down the Pacific Flyway where 65 percent of them (over 9 million birds) winter in the wetlands of California’s Central Valley.

There are about 30,000 species of insects recorded from California.

There are 961 native vertebrates in California: 540 birds, 77 reptiles, 47 amphibians, 214 mammals and 83 freshwater fish. Sixty-five percent of these animals are found only in California!

There are more than 5,000 native plant species in California. This is more than you will find in the northeastern United States and Canada combined, an area 10 times larger than California! At least one-third of these 5,000 plants are found nowhere else in the world (endemic).

The California redwoods, the Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) and Giant Sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum), are the tallest and largest living organisms in the world.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

california is really beautiful. but it has become really populated. i wonder what it was like before all the crowds.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    california is really beautiful. but it has become really populated. i wonder what it was like before all the crowds.
    Yeah, the cities are crowded. When I first moved to this area, there were 75,000 people up here, but now we have 175,000. There are plenty of non-crowded places. Unfortunately, there are no employers in those places, and the people that live in the remote places are often crazy transplanted bible-belters.

EDIT: Where I live used to be covered in oak trees. It pretty much looked like the photos I posted, minus the sidewalk. The heritage oaks are hundreds of years old. We've had some protesters sitting in the trees when builders wanted to cut them down for new development. Now, the trees are protected and you need a permit to touch them, even if they are on your private property.
    Last edited by vashti; 01-02-09 at 12:33 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Best place to live, IMO, is Australia. I'd move there in a heartbeat. Climate and wildlife like Cali (without the smog, crime, earthquakes), views like BC (without the rain). Beaches are the best in the world. Plus, low crime, great people, reasonable population density (like Canada) decent economy and government.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    It was a desert, actually. Most of the green in Cali is artificially produced. If something happened to that aqueduct system, LA and surrounds would be screwed.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Yah, wondering whether or not to stay here in Aussie-land or not, got two more years to make up my mind. Water scarcity is a big deal in melbourne though, hope it doesn't get entirely stuffed up.

Will get some pics of the suburb I'm staying in, just 40 mins walk from downtown but still quite open and calm.

This is my family's backyard. I spent 5 years fishing its waters after moving to this place.

This is the courtyard between my dormitory's halls.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Valencia. Great bike paths here, too. That bike tour (Amgen?) was here a while back.

Don't you live near the beach? You should post some beach photos.
    I don't know what year that was. But in 2006 the Amgen Tour of California rode through Redondo Beach which is basically where I live and ride on a regular basis. I actually ride these streets all the time: [url]http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/tourtracker.html?stage=7[/url]

I still remember when they closed off the streets and had this going on, this was before I was into cycling though. It was the final stage of the Tour.

I do live close to the beach and I will get some pictures hopefully tomorrow. I'm planning on a long/fast ride tomorrow up north to Malbi which means no carrying my DSLR. But I might steal my dad's Point and shoot and tuck it in the back pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    It was a desert, actually. Most of the green in Cali is artificially produced. If something happened to that aqueduct system, LA and surrounds would be screwed.
    deserts are some of my favourite places. crowds are destroying them.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My favourite is Vashti's place So secret

Well I don't have many more pictures yet , but I will do soon Now I show You the view from my window.Maybe for some people it's boring or even unpretty, I find it somehow special Maybe because of the church there,which in reality looks much better and bigger :/

EDIT. Picture fail But dunno how to grab it here if I don't have this pic on other site... I need to have a breakfast first
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Petit Papillon; 01-02-09 at 11:51 PM.
    I wazzzz here

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    let me see what i can dig up...

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    [url]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/Illusional808/3.jpg[/url]
    [url]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/Illusional808/1.jpg[/url]
    [url]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/Illusional808/2.jpg[/url]
    [url]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/Illusional808/4.jpg[/url]
    [url]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/Illusional808/5.jpg[/url]
    [url]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/Illusional808/6.jpg[/url]

we hiked up this mountain behind my friends house.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast