+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something I particularly dislike

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't know, DM. I saw all kinds of evidence of Western culture in the middle east when I was there, and although some people feigned cultural and societal superiority ala European style, the Westerners were very popular. Also, I like hearing ethnic music in an ethnic environment, but I don't think I'd even notice it in a university setting, as I have a tendancy to block out distractions in a crowded environment.

I do get sick as all hell of the haters, though.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I'm sick at tired of Spanish everywhere on the doors. Learn English you stupid mother ****er.

everywhere you go the stupid sign has to say

"Wet floor"
    "weto flooroso"

or some stupid shit.

Enter ...Entrada...come on! its obviously a ****ing door you dumbass
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i have that same problem with white people infiltrating new MEXICO!

giga not included .
    Well, I'm sure the Navajos have a problem with YOU.

Don't worry, DM. College is just one short time in your life. You'll be exposed to all manner of foreign influences, then you'll graduate and you can surround yourself with honkies, crackers and the like.
    Spammer Spanker

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    An' if you don't know, now you know, nigga.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Like Vash said, Western culture is quite abundant outside North American borders. I've seen it firsthand. Indians, Asians, Africans......they all listen to our pop music, wear our 'fashions' and try to be as much like us as possible. Do they complain about our culture invading theirs? No.......well, not generally. They want to be like us.

I don't agree with them coming over and dissing western culture since they strive so hard to make themselves a part of it and benefit from it, but on my part I'm happy to embrace other cultures. It makes you a more well rounded person. If a person wants to pump Hindi dance tunes out of their car, all the power to them. It doesn't offend me. I could likely sing along to one or two of them.

I don't agree with people being catered to in their native language, however. Where I live, the ABM's quite often display language options in Mandarin, Japanese, and Punjabi. Canada's two official languages are English and French. I think the only signage in the country should be in one of those two languages. If I went anywhere else, they would expect me to speak THEIR language, or learn it pretty ****ing fast.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't know, BS. English is almost a universal language. Just about everybody seems to know a little.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I hate anyone who lives in a country warmer than mine. If they live near a tropical beach, doubly so.
    But...but....I thought you wuved me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I hate anyone whose names doesn't start with M. Go back to your own country you non M named cretins!
    My middle name starts with m...does that count?
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Looks like everyone completely missed the point and has trouble distinguishing between 1) another culture being gleefully imposed upon you (something that would never be reciprocated in their country, and why should it be?) and 2) a completely arbitrary set of rules for superiority

I don't expect people in Indian villages to be celebrating American culture, and guess what? That makes complete fuccking sense

Lots of other cultures imitate American culture. Why are you so disrespectful toward other cultures? Have you been fuccked in the ass too much lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Everlovin View Post
    Lots of other cultures imitate American culture. Why are you so disrespectful toward other cultures? Have you been fuccked in the ass too much lately?
    Thus sayeth the man with first-hand experience in taking it up the tailpipe.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I wonder how many of you can go back more than one generation or two at most, tho, and not be grateful that America was so tolerant of *your* culture when your family arrived. OV, Polish right? DM, Italian?

Its interesting how the very ppl who benefited from American inclusion of various cultures and races are the ones who now want to withhold or suppress that same privilege to others. Something very wrong with that attitude.

Look to your own backyards first.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I wonder how many of you can go back more than one generation or two at most, tho, and not be grateful that America was so tolerant of *your* culture when your family arrived. OV, Polish right? DM, Italian?
    You can claim hypocrisy on me as soon as all the Polish letters start showing up in every instruction booklet, door, and anywhere else you can think of. English is my primary language and I accepted that when I came to this country. I don't expect people to learn the Polish language to talk to me in their country, that is stupid. English is one of the easiest languages to learn to speak, I don't see the problem.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I can go back ONE generation- my dad is from Italy

Want to know some of the differences between my dad coming here and new immigrants? When my dad came here he expected to learn English and learn about American culture, NOT the other way around. He didn't come here sharing HIS culture with Americans, unlike how immigrants now IMPOSE their culture on us because of the willingness of institutions to help them to that end. He LEARNED English because that is the language of the US

He didn't go around advertising his culture. Acceptance didn't mean that back then. Acceptance meant allowing my dad to do what everyone else could- go to school, play sports, etc. Not be excluded BECAUSE he was Italian. It didn't mean my dad bitching to the government or institutions that they don't talk about Calabrian culture or allow him to do things that would fit into the Calabrian lifestyle but not the American

And not only that, the transition from a cultural perspective wasn't exactly a transition. People who live in Calabria are practical enough to live irrespective of culture, as in, they won't continue some archaic or impractical tradition just for the sake of "culture." That would be dumb as fuccking shit, but a lot of new immigrants do that

So yes, being accepting meant allowing my dad and his parents to do things that were popular in Calabria, like having espresso in the morning, wine with dinner, and tending to a garden as a hobby. That didn't impose on anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Want to know some of the differences between my dad coming here and new immigrants? When my dad came here he expected to learn English and learn about American culture, NOT the other way around. He didn't come here sharing HIS culture with Americans, unlike how immigrants now IMPOSE their culture on us because of the willingness of institutions to help them to that end. He LEARNED English because that is the language of the US
    I couldn't agree more.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I got no problem with people listening to certain music, eating certain food, or rooting for certain countries in the Olympics. I do have a problem with people not bothering to learn English and thinking that's okay.

My ancestors were proud to call themselves American when they gained citizenship. Now people want all the benefits of being American citizens but they don't give a damn about being a united people and they're too ****ing lazy to learn the basic customs and the language.

Culture should never infringe upon practical, rational living. It's secondary at best. Icing on the cake.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Its interesting how the very ppl who benefited from American inclusion of various cultures and races are the ones who now want to withhold or suppress that same privilege to others. Something very wrong with that attitude.

Look to your own backyards first.
    I can go back many generations, since my bloodline consists of Native Americans... and Jutes, who settled in England for a few centuries, before immigrating to America in the early 19 century.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast