+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spanish or French?

I'm probably going to take Spanish. Ideally, I'd like to find a program at the school that would allow me to live in a Spanish speaking country for a semester while I continued my studies. If I could do that after I've already taken a couple of years of Spanish then I'll definitely become fluent before I graduate.

I'll learn French next.
    I don't chase, I replace.

Oh Jesus. You're doing this just to go to spain so you can get some of that latina poontanga.

I hope they put you in a 3rd world country lol.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Oh Jesus. You're doing this just to go to spain so you can get some of that latina poontanga.

I hope they put you in a 3rd world country lol.
    You misunderstood.

It's proven that by living in a Spanish speaking country for a period of a time you increase the speed at which you become fluent in the language.

I'm learning Spanish because it's rather important to understand it in the US now.

I took three years of high school French and two years of university Spanish, then lived in Mexico for several months. I've found that Spanish is much more useful to me in my daily life but that French has greatly increased my understanding of English, which is about 70% French at it's root.

I told my daughter yesterday that I hope she tries to learn Mandarin. Maybe I'll try to learn it with her.
    Spammer Spanker

i think italian sounds more similar to spanish than french. with french the accent is so different. i pick up more of what italian speakers are saying than french. although when it's written down it's more comprehensible.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i think italian sounds more similar to spanish than french. with french the accent is so different. i pick up more of what italian speakers are saying than french. although when it's written down it's more comprehensible.
    I swear to God, French speakers don't WANT you to understand. We need Late Vamp to get on here and explain that 'tude to us.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    that French has greatly increased my understanding of English, which is about 70% French at it's root.
    Yes lots of English words derived from French, however, not 70% lol. More like 25%. Quarter German, quarter Latin, Quarter French, and then some Greek and some words from other languages. But if you really think about it, quite a few words of French are actually German in origin. You know, English is actually a Germanic language.

Also, it really depends on what you mean by English language, because here, where towns are comprised of descendants of German immigrants, people use many more German-rooted words, sometimes even the German words themselves! Where I'm from it wasn't like this.

I took Spanish in high school and had to learn a little bit of German when I was stationed there. I learned, however, that a lot of Germans liked trying to talk to me in English. I remember the Optometrist I went to for contacts was kind of excited to talk to me in English.

I actually found a local German girl that spoke both and had her translate for me at a few places. :o

lol Doppel. What French words are of German origin? Considering the French actually have a mechanism to protect their sacred language from foreign influences. I love how you seem to get defensive when someone says something that isn't synonymous with "GERMAN ROCKS".

Yes, we all know English is a Germanic language grammatically, but I'm pretty sure Giga is right that the vocabulary is more influenced by French.

Anyway, Spanish is more useful, I agree. And French people are snobby. Yes, all of them.

you admire my quest for knowledge?

i just want people to get the facts right. in case you were wondering i am basing the information off a pie chart in one of my text books. french latin and german have about and equal influence on english.. about 25-30% each.

I'm getting my 70% statistic from my History of the Dark and Middle Ages professor from UNM.
    Spammer Spanker

Have you guys read an instruction guide that is written in French? I bet most people that know English can understand a large amount of those words. I would say about 70% of those French words can be guessed.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    va chier. That is all

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    va chier. That is all
    hehe
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12