+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Music choices and inteligence

I laughed.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    So good music is that which makes you focus on other things rather than the music itself?

It doesn't exactly make its case.
    I didn't exactly say that. I do know that good music isn't noise that jars the mind and drives out all thought.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

counting crows is one of the "smart" bands? but they suck so much!
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Muse is on the higher end, I'm good.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Classical musical and metal have more or less the same effect on me... I can focus on my studies much better with them. Also trance and techno make me focus as well.... however, other types of music can be quite distracting (though I tend to listen to the words).

This chart is easily open to a lot of interpretation... I find it quite laughable...
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

LOL look where classical music ranked. Someone seriously failed research methodology 101. This study is completely useless. It tells me more about the examiner than the participants.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

I think this person just really hated Lil Wayne.
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Lesa, what's wrong with classical music being ahead?

Tell me something, do you seriously think there would not be an IQ discrepancy between folks attending an orchestra and folks attending a Lil' Wayne concert?

Not only would there be an IQ discrepancy, there'd most likely be a very big income discrepancy to boot. It isn't a reflection on the music so much as on demographics and taste. There'd also be an age discrepancy, I'm sure.

I think classic music requires effort on the listener's part to enjoy whereas other forms of music require nothing but open ears. It's the difference between Shakespearean theater and popcorn flicks.
    Last edited by Gribble; 08-03-09 at 01:30 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Lesa, what's wrong with classical music being ahead?

Tell me something, do you seriously think there would not be an IQ discrepancy between folks attending an orchestra and folks attending a Lil' Wayne concert?

Not only would there be an IQ discrepancy, there'd most likely be a very big income discrepancy to boot. It isn't a reflection on the music so much as on demographics and taste. There'd also be an age discrepancy, I'm sure.

I think classic music requires effort on the listener's part to enjoy whereas other forms of music require nothing but open ears. It's the difference between Shakespearean theater and popcorn flicks.
    There's nothing wrong with classical music. I love it. I grew up with it. And I like listening to almost any type of music. However, in this study classical music as a whole ranked even lower than Eminem and rap as a whole. Classical music ranked lower than Nickelback. If you look at the study a lot of music genre ranked lower than a special band or singer in that same group. It's as if the people listening only hear one or two singers from a genre but does not really have a preference to listening to music at all. Maybe these people listen only to the radio or tv, etc. Practically all genres of music ranked lower than a particular group from that very same genre. They picked out the higher "quality" singer/musician (who may write great music/songs) from each genre. They also picked out a few lower "quality" singer/musicians to rank low (a compare and contrast?).

The other stuff in the post I have already stated. I don't think there's a significant correlation to music making someone dumber unless that person starts behaving negatively because of the music they prefer. Many kids who started off classical players (and had parents attending orchestra) switched to jazz when they became older. Now they are popular jazz musicians and they sound great. Even jazz as a whole ranked extremely low.

I am interested in seeing a quality research on this topic. Unfortunately this one does not appear to pass the test of a quality study. I would like to see the IQs of those listening to a type of music too. Maybe the kids took the test while listening to a certain type of music lol. Yes, that must be it.
    Last edited by lesa; 08-03-09 at 02:47 AM.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Lesa, I don't see that any individual genre scored as being "more intelligent", but rather individual artists/groups were scored higher.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Lesa, I don't see that any individual genre scored as being "more intelligent", but rather individual artists/groups were scored higher.
    Yep. That's it. Some artists are really good no matter the genre. That's what was studied here, it seems.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    Yep. That's it. Some artists are really good no matter the genre. That's what was studied here, it seems.
    Well actually, doesn't that make sense? Not all classical is good just because it is classical, just as not all ... country(?) is bad just because it is country...

Maybe I just missed the point you were trying to make.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I cannot debate the results because the research design is f'ed up.

The website posted: Of course the (unanswered) question is, what is the relationship? Do you choose music based on your intelligence? Surely your personality has something to do with musical tastes, doesn’t it? Can listening to certain types of music make you dumb or smart? Do people gravitate towards a certain type of music because they are smart and think that it will make them seem smarter?

After viewing the results and not knowing the testing subjects and what kind of research method (s) used, I would say there is no correlation (EDIT: rather no cause and effect).
    Last edited by lesa; 08-03-09 at 05:18 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Meh, it was really posted for amusment, not for scientific debate.

LOL look at the books. No reading at all appears to be better than reading some religious books. I think it's all about preference. Books (and music) hopefully should not make you dumb. However, "dumb" people may have a preference for a certain reading item. Again the study is messed up. It's good for fun though...so here it is :

[url]http://booksthatmakeyoudumb.virgil.gr/btmyd/BooksthatmakeyoudumbHuge.png[/url]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast