+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about wedding ring cost

Quote Originally Posted by Sonrisa View Post
    why don't women start byuing guys engagement rings? they do want equality don't they?

Sure but they don't want to leave evidence in the form of an imprint when she b-slaps him.

Just kidding
    Last edited by Yggdrasil; 26-05-09 at 09:10 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    why don't women start byuing guys engagement rings? they do want equality don't they?

I bought my fiance's wedding band.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    And I would like to have so unplanned mariage,that we wouldn't have time to buy the rings Of course I'm not talking about some guy I would meet the same day. I would like just once open my eyes and say to my future husband: **** it,let's get married today,now!

No problems with rings,guests,place where to do that... And tell everybody just right after it

But probobly my mariage will be planned,with rings,more than probobly in a polish style with lots of wódka... Ehh life is boring
    I wazzzz here

i think i am gonna buy a ring and offer my hand to someone, hee hee
    I think you'll make a good wife some day
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'd marry her if she did all the work for me.

I think I know the true colors of this girl now. She tells me I'm a cheapskate & I told her she's a gold digger.

Is there anything wrong with me if I'd rather save 14K & pay off my college loans, car payments, housing, investments, savings, emergencies? She kept insisting that if all that is taken care of then I should sacrifice a lot & save up for that ring. Or maybe I should take on another job, overtime or promotion if I want to keep her happy. Am I crazy here? There's a lot we can do with 14K than spending it on a stupid ring. What's with women & diamonds?

I bet she has a friend who got a 12K ring and she wants to show her up
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I bet she has a friend who got a 12K ring and she wants to show her up
    Quite similar really. Her older sister just got married & she got a $16K 1 karat diamond ring. She recently told me the sister wants an upgrade to 2 carat for $30K. Guess she's trying to be like her sis. Insane.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverBeenNLuvB4 View Post
    Quite similar really. Her older sister just got married & she got a $16K 1 karat diamond ring. She recently told me the sister wants an upgrade to 2 carat for $30K. Guess she's trying to be like her sis. Insane.
    Well, that explains it.

You see, it has nothing to do with you relationship, she simply wants to feel good enough in comparison to her sister. So whenever the family has those 'ooooooh, wow' moments she won't feel left out.

Great...
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Is there anything wrong with me if I'd rather save 14K & pay off my college loans, car payments, housing, investments, savings, emergencies?
    I think you sound quite sensible. You can do a *lot* with 14K put into the stock market right now. Easily double it, or more. When I mentioned 14K in my first post, I meant the type of gold, not the cost.

The problem with jewelry like this is that it will never appreciate. So, you should get something nice, that will last, but spending anything over several hundred to a thousand dollars is a waste of money. To me, anyway.

Money is one of the Big Issues couples have. I think your fiance sounds a bit unreasonable in this regard.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Let's see. According to TV commercials 3 months salary is enough. Now, according to DeBeers (who pay for these advertisements btw...) diamonds really basically inherently worthless.

So, I could spend $22,000+ on a ring for my wife-to-be (Even though I'm already married go with me on this...) or... Spend $3,000 on the ring, $7,000 on the wedding, $4,000 on a rather nice honeymoon, and still have $8,000 left to pay a lawyer when she divorces me because I didn't spend $18,000 on her ring.

I'm sorry, any woman to bases how much I value her by how much I spend on a wedding ring needs to GTFO. The fact that I'm even asking should be enough, even if I don't have a dime for an engagement ring.

To date I've yet to spend more that $2,500 for a wedding ring/band combo. Maybe it's just the women I date, but neither my ex wife nor my current wife wanted a big expensive-ass ring that they're mortified about losing on a daily basis.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    The problem with jewelry like this is that it will never appreciate. So, you should get something nice, that will last, but spending anything over several hundred to a thousand dollars is a waste of money. To me, anyway.
    My wedding band (current) is a titanium comfort fit band with an inner band of mokume style rose gold and copper folded to resemble wood. Custom made to my specs.

Total cost: $350

It is unique, I had the ring in about a week from the manufacturer. It's durable (I beat the hell out of jewelery.). And it's all mine.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    [url]http://www.loveforum.net/off-topic-discussion/29896-why-man-supposed-spend-2-months-salary-engagement-ring.html[/url]

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think I know the true colors of this girl now. She tells me I'm a cheapskate & I told her she's a gold digger.

Is there anything wrong with me if I'd rather save 14K & pay off my college loans, car payments, housing, investments, savings, emergencies? She kept insisting that if all that is taken care of then I should sacrifice a lot & save up for that ring. Or maybe I should take on another job, overtime or promotion if I want to keep her happy. Am I crazy here? There's a lot we can do with 14K than spending it on a stupid ring. What's with women & diamonds?
    Quite honestly, if you have all that debt, you should take care of it before you get married, anyway.

How old is the girl? She sounds young and naive to me, and certainly not ready to marry. I bet there have been OTHER instances where she has had unrealistic expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    [url]http://www.loveforum.net/off-topic-discussion/29896-why-man-supposed-spend-2-months-salary-engagement-ring.html[/url]
    That thread reminds me of the first thing I read when picking up a wedding book for men to browse through while my first wife went marriage planning book nuts.

"The dictionary describes a groom as a man or boy in the employ of care and feeding of horses. Brides to be will attempt to argue that the proper term is Bridegroom, but you get the point. As the man a wedding is something that happens to you, not for you."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast