+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ew, Gross

Oh yeah, I'm lucky, I'm not living in the "world's deadliest spider" area, but you never know.

I saw a huntsman spider in my garage when I was living in australia. Freaking GAH it was soooooo gross, and no one would kill it for me. I'm gettin chills just from thinking about them ew ew.

I wasn't scared of spiders when i was a kid, but the fear grew on me. Then I learned some could kill you. That's really my only beef with them. If they don't live in my house and don't bite me, I don't care.
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Some interesting facts:

The name tarantula comes from a spider that is found in Spain, it lives mainly in an area around the town of Taranto. In fact the Spanish tarantula (The European Wolf Spider, Lycosa Tarantula) is distantly related to the other spiders that share its name.

The tarantula is a small slightly hairy spider (about 2 inches ((5cm)) across). It is not dangerous to humans!

The people of the Spanish town of Taranto, believed that if they were bitten by they spider that they called tarantula, if the bite was not treated quickly, that they would die.

The only way to survive it's bite, they believed, was to do a dance called the Tarantella (hence the name tarantula). This involved very fast spinning and jumping until they could dance no more and fell to the ground exhauasted. This the locals believed was the only cure.

For some reason tarantula’s reputation isn’t that good. Maybe because they are big. Maybe because they are hairy. Maybe because they are poisonous. Well, yes, they are big, and hairy. They do have poison, but it can’t kill a person unless you’re allergic to it. For most people, tarantula bites are no worse than a bee sting.

Nowadays, all large hairy spiders have been given the name tarantula, even though many are only very distantly related to the real tarantula (Brachypelma Smithi). Tarantulas are often called bird eating spiders, very few actually eat birds, those that do usually raid nests and take the young chicks, most however, like our native spiders only eat insects.
    I kill You I just asked my flatmate if here are some Tarantulas and he scared me lol My gosh I thought I gonna have heart attack!!
    He said if there are some spiders then Yu can meet them in the forest,but here in the flat nope So I was right, I ddn`t see any spider here,yet
    I wazzzz here

Quote Originally Posted by Pettit-Papillon View Post
    I kill You

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12