+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: people with a lot of money live unhappy lives?

i certainly am not advocating communism. it was just an observation.

these people, most of them, are not mean and are just average people. they're just not as happy and satisfied with their lives as some of the less fortunate people i know. they have more drama. they have nice stuff though. too bad you can't take all that to your grave.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Statistically, rich people are no more happy than those who aren't wealthy ...
    no autographs, please!

The more I see, the more I don't know for sure. - John Lennon

Life is ... Too Short.

"It seems we living the 'American Dream', but the people highest up got the lowest self-esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things ... for the road to riches and diamond rings."

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i noticed in my time with some pretty wealthy people in connecticut and upstate new york that they are in general a lot more miserable than people from around where i am from, which is one of the poorest states in the u.s.

they have beautiful homes, beautiful cars, beautiful people with beautiful children. and yet they seem so incredibly unhappy.

they seem more used to being sad and miserable, like it's normal or something.

does anyone else notice this, or is it just me?
    Money and happiness don't seem to go hand in hand at any point.

If you live your life chasing money, there's no secret to why you're unhappy. I don't think its possible to be rich AND be happy because no one derives happiness by chasing dollar bills.

That's kind of a weird statement, but think of it this way. I love my motorcycle, its freedom and exhilaration for me. I can buy all the bikes in the world, but it wont give me the skills to pilot one which is where the fun truely comes from. You can buy the accessories, but the happiness comes from something you can't buy.
    Last edited by Cbrider; 18-07-09 at 07:22 AM.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    A lot of people think material wealth will help them find happiness. Truth is, they haven't taken the time to enjoy the simple pleasures, they're too damn obsessed with making money or being important. They think they will gain admiration from people for their status, but fail to realize how lonely it is really is at the top. People don't appreciate them for who they are, just for what they have, and they take advantage.

I would like to have lots of money, sure. But first and foremost I would want a great spouse and great connections with family and friends, and the ability to enjoy stuff that doesn't require a lot of money. Any money I made would just be there to help out future generations. I came from a less privileged background, and have had to work hard to get somewhere in the world. I'd like to at least HELP my kids pay for university. A little.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Mind over matter. Happiness is about how you look at life, not what life have to offer you.

thanks everybody.

i was talking to an east coasterner today. her theory is that the people find no appreciation for rest and relaxation. they're always working and doing this or that. everything has to be crazy all the time and they're all stressed out and ragged.

i found that to be interesting.

going there really made me appreciate my life here.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i noticed in my time with some pretty wealthy people in connecticut and upstate new york that they are in general a lot more miserable than people from around where i am from, which is one of the poorest states in the u.s.

they have beautiful homes, beautiful cars, beautiful people with beautiful children. and yet they seem so incredibly unhappy.

they seem more used to being sad and miserable, like it's normal or something.

does anyone else notice this, or is it just me?
    Its stress and a bit of 'nothing to compare it to', I think. People only compare to what's immediately around them, for the most part. If that happens to be wealthy folk, then that is your yardstick for measurement.

There's a better phrase for describing that^ but I forgot what it is.

I never really appreciated my life until I started to travel to 3rd world countries. It wasn't until then that things really hit home for me how fortunate we are.

Its like that quote:

If you threw your problems into a pile with everyone else's, you'd snatch back yours.

As I get older, I am appreciating simplicity in things much, much more. One can always make things more complex, but simplifying things to its most elegant parts...ah, that's worth making happen.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

thanks everybody.

i was talking to an east coasterner today. her theory is that the people find no appreciation for rest and relaxation. they're always working and doing this or that. everything has to be crazy all the time and they're all stressed out and ragged.

i found that to be interesting.

going there really made me appreciate my life here.
    On that note, the stress and bustle seems to be a more East coast thing. The West coast is a busy place, but it doesn't feel crazy like the East coast does.

The Warmonger

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrider View Post
    On that note, the stress and bustle seems to be a more East coast thing. The West coast is a busy place, but it doesn't feel crazy like the East coast does.
    The f*ck?!

Why did I think you were from Australia??

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QphglQu3oL0"]YouTube - Johnny Cash - A Satisfied Mind[/ame]

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I used to think working my ass off and being busy constantly made me productive and therefore better off. Then I realized I was thinking like a communist.

Now I enjoy a sleep in on the weekends, days off with nothing planned, having family come over and chill out and bbq. Work and money now seem trivial next to these things.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    The f*ck?!

Why did I think you were from Australia??
    Because it has said Location: Boise, Idaho since I created my account? Lol Fras....

The Warmonger

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    that's because they can afford the better drugs and the depression stages are a lot harder to kick.. c'mon, you don't hear about people getting all depressed over weed do you?

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12