+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do girls always want to be "friends" after?

Maybe it's just because a lot of my friends are guys (and I've seen it on this forum quite a bit too), but I see a lot of guys wanting to 'be friends' as well.

Hmm... I wonder if it's a means for the individual to forgive him/herself for the ways in which they contributed to the downfall of the relationship. I couldn't be a good boy/girlfriend so I'll be a better friend. That's something to explore.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    It's simple: they love to 'keep you around' in case your 'services' are needed.

These 'services' can vary from calling you in the middle of the night from the middle of nowhere to come pick her up because she has a flat tire (hey.. what are friends for, right?), over asking if you could quickly help her adjusting her satelite dish or fix the leaking kitchen sink (hey.. what are friends for, right?) to emotional and sexual needs (hey.. what are friends for, right?).

Combine this with some guilt tripping (IF you don't do this, our friendship is over...) and what do you have?

Right... any self respecting guy would tell a gall like this to go eff herself.

Hope you're getting the idea. It's about using the dumpee under the disguise of friendship.

And now you can ask yourself the question why these immature dodobrains call guys like me assholes. Simple, because their shit doesn't work on someone with a good dose of self esteem.
    I hope you're not talking about all females. XP

The ex that I said I really do want to be friends with, lives out of state. So using him as a mechanic or plumber is out of the question. ;P We just have a lot in common and talk about the same things. It's hard though because I do feel at times that I need to distance myself from him, communication wise, because it feels like he still wants us to be together, and by me continuing to talk to him is misleading him making him hopeful that we'll hook up again. I don't know what he thinks though, as each person thinks differently.

But you have feelings for him... So why are yous till hanging around, can't get back together and just torment yourself?
    As for this guy, I never said we were still hanging out/around. I still would like to remain friends with him, originally in case he actually did come to his senses, but even if he has, I don't feel like I could trust him. So I would just like to be friends because I don't like to end things on a sour note. And I do still care about him so if he needs someone to confide in then I will still be there for him. I don't want to get back together with him, after all the hurt he's caused me. I know all relationships have their ups and downs, but this went far beyond that. Besides, I don't think he minds us being separated anyway. He never cared about me to begin with. XP

What I think is really cute is when they say they want to be friends and then you disappear for a while they act like you betrayed them and act all cold and guarded even if they were the ones that wanted to JUST BE FRIENDS.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Let's be friends after a dump is for two reasons:

1. Keep you in the wings as a possible 'Plan B' if nothing better comes along. Or an emotional tampon, or both.

2. An easy let down. Young girls don't realize that its actually not & is more like extended torture for their ex. More experienced guys don't bite at this offer.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I know that after my relationship ended I wanted to be his friend...

For this reason. We have broken up a few times and everytime we break up we get along so well... I feel no need to be doing things for him anymore, I do not feel like when he wlks in the house that dinner should be made and things in order.. I am more comfortable around him.
    when we are together we do nothing at all. he comes home and he sits his butt infront of the T.V and wants to eat then shower then bed. Boring!!! but when we are not together we really do things like take off out of town for the day have a blast. I miss him because of that part, I miss onlt the friendship that we could not have because we made the mistake in getting together.... I always tell him we are so better off as friends.
    One time he was coming over to my place and all upset about his current g/f I was ok with that i never got mad (nor did I feel resentment inside) I just let him be himself and was there for him.. I gave him advise when he wanted it.....

You have to look at the full picture sometimes not just the break up. People often are better off as friends then life time parteners...
    Just my 2 cents

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by babymouse39 View Post
    I know that after my relationship ended I wanted to be his friend...

For this reason. We have broken up a few times and everytime we break up we get along so well... I feel no need to be doing things for him anymore, I do not feel like when he wlks in the house that dinner should be made and things in order.. I am more comfortable around him.
    when we are together we do nothing at all. he comes home and he sits his butt infront of the T.V and wants to eat then shower then bed. Boring!!! but when we are not together we really do things like take off out of town for the day have a blast. I miss him because of that part, I miss onlt the friendship that we could not have because we made the mistake in getting together.... I always tell him we are so better off as friends.
    One time he was coming over to my place and all upset about his current g/f I was ok with that i never got mad (nor did I feel resentment inside) I just let him be himself and was there for him.. I gave him advise when he wanted it.....
    This would fall under the 'emotional tampon' part. Tho, in this case, sounds like she enjoys listening to his drama too.

This guy still has a thing for you.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Clearly...

Quote Originally Posted by btworld View Post
    I hope you're not talking about all females. XP
    No.. only the ones that want to stay 'friends'... hahahahaha...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Graham, I suspect your "friend" is probably really good in bed and she wants to keep him on the back burner in case she really needs a good roll in the hay. The only exes I ever wanted to be "friends" with were the ones I'd happily have sex with again.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Graham, I suspect your "friend" is probably really good in bed and she wants to keep him on the back burner in case she really needs a good roll in the hay. The only exes I ever wanted to be "friends" with were the ones I'd happily have sex with again.
    Hmm... Didn't realize women thought that way but it makes a lot of sense. When it happen to me and a girl we did fool around a few time during the "friend" period. I didn't know it at the time but she was also sleeping with her current BF.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Berkeley View Post
    This hasn't happened to me lately but I just watched it happen to one of my old College buddies. They have a big fight and she says shes done but wants to keep being friends. Month goes past and she calls him to tell him about a bad date she had like he was her girlfriend. WTF?

Something happened to me like this a couple years ago where my Ex cheated on me, moved out, but tells me she wants to stay friends and needed my "support". She had the nerve to tell a mutual friend that If I really loved her I would support her because all she was trying to do was be happy.

What is going through a woman's mind when she does this that possesses her to think this is at all appropriate and rational?

Why is it if you call them on this they say something like "I'm going to stop talking to you if you keep making me feel guilty!"

I thought this was something young immature girls did but I've seen plenty of "mature" women do this too... Explain please
    In the case of young and immature girls, it might just be bad judgement - 'cause you're right, it is often kinda inappropriate. If you both want to be friends you will be and no one has to ask, right? But when a woman is grown and mature, I think it's gotta be one of these things, or a combination of them:

A) She's seen this happen with her friends, and wants it to work out for her, too. Men make GREAT friends, when there's no confusion. EVERY woman I know who's ever had a male friend would never give him up. We like our male friends. They're protective and more loyal and a lot less back-stabbing.
    B) It sounds better. She doesn't want to hurt your feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Berkeley View Post
    What I think is really cute is when they say they want to be friends and then you disappear for a while they act like you betrayed them and act all cold and guarded even if they were the ones that wanted to JUST BE FRIENDS.
    Yep, yep, yep, I still don't get it even though I could explain and everyone else could explain why it's stupid.
    I will do my best to reply with an educated, humble and honest answer. Ultimately, it is up to you whether you want to listen to my advice or ignore it completely. Sometimes, my advice may be wrong; occasionally, it will be right. Regardless, I want to do my best to give people answers they are seeking.

hear hear - i totally agree with you, guy!
    Spank me.

Been there done that...
    next time an ex wants to be your "friend", replace friend with "back-up".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12