+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confessions before committing.

He probably knew your GPA and since you're not saying it, he's not presurring you. He rather have you tell him personally.

Sooner or later he will come to know about it. Just be frank about it. I mean what could be worse than keeping him in the dark?

No, I lied to him about it on our first date. And he's assumed I'm around a 3.2-3.3 since then. Very low, but not as low as 2.7. This is just for sake of clarification (the numbers). He's not waiting for me to tell him another answer, he just trusts me whenever I tell him anything about me. He's a very kind, loving individual. We're about to shape our lives together based on admissions to certain schools and I don't think I'll be able to get in many of those schools except the low tier ones. I just don't want to drag him down or see him commit so much to me when he doesn't know my stats and my chances as well into getting into the schools that might be closer to him due to my limited options. I might have to work for a few years in my line of profession to get better credentials/letter of recs in order to improve my chances as well as take graduate level classes to show that academically I know how to succeed. Too many life decisions are being hinged on it all. It makes the reality of informing him all the more urgent.

Lying is bad and you reap what you sow.
    It's not the end of the world if you tell him now.
    If he really loves you, of course he will get angry but not to the extend of breaking up.
    It will get messy but not to the points of breaking up.
    You either keep him in the dark and let him find out and get you screwed with no option left or you let him know and he wil still screw you but there's option for discussion before everything gets too late.

When all is said and done, you are talking about the difference between a B and a B- GPA! But your question is more about a breach of trust than a lack of opportunity. People often exaggerate a bit (as opposed to flat-out lying) at the very beginning of a relationship because 1) they want to impress, and 2) they don't yet think the relationship will be permanent anyway. In your case, the exaggeration shouldn't be fatal to trust or the relationship, because it was about a trivial matter. Say something like "John, when we first met I told you something that was not true. Now that we want to spend our lives together, I just can't stand perpetuating this any longer. My GPA was only 2.7, not the 3.1 that I originally told you. I'm sorry, and it just proves how complicated what seemed at the time to be a harmless exaggeration can become.

Success is not all in the numbers anyway ... I barely graduated college with a 2.17 GPA (!!!) with a major in Budweiser. Within 6 years, I was a Vice President of a major bank and got admitted to a really good law school.

There's an old saying in law school: "The A students become judges or professors, and the B students end up working for the C students."

Carl.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You're not an intellectual anonymous girl, because if you were, you wouldn't be trying to rationalize something so stupid as lying about your GPA by .3 points.

Stop thinking so damn much, you're only sabotaging yourself.

I can tell you probably sit there and try to think of every way he could react to you telling him your actual GPA, and most of the scenarios end badly. You're projecting your fears on him and he's not even had the chance to respond to your dilemma, which I don't think is fair.

Grow some balls already, you're not highschool anymore.

Is this your fiance' or your dad? Cuz unless you're dumb as a rock I dont see why this would be a dealbreaker. What will he do? Ground you?
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

ARE YOU SERIOUS???? You really believe that love hinges on a frickin GPA? And you claim to be an intuectual? Um...There are many "intuectuals" and college grads on the streets and in poor financial health because of our economy right now. If you both aren't marrying for true, pure LOVE, then what do you have together? I think that you need to get some of those so called "intuectual" smarts going and see that love is not based on performance but on a commitment! Then maybe this "issue" that you have won't be such a big deal. Life is more than GPA or graduate school!
    Steve
    [url]http://haveyourexback.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by firefox43 View Post
    Life is more than GPA or graduate school!
    Nuff' said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    By Giving You The Finger, Not The Index Or Pinky, Nor The Ring Or The Thumb, I Am Able To Tell You To **** Off Without Wasting My Breath.
    I like this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12