Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where the wild things are.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Indignant View Post
    ever read Doyle Grib?
    Excessively.
    Last edited by Gribble; 30-11-09 at 01:30 PM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

same here.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Did we watch the same trailer? If you're going to make some absurd Victorian era action/comedy why bother incorporating Sherlock Holmes? Invent a few moronic bit characters, prance them about in costumes, blow things up, flash some skin and call it a day--just like every other shitty movie to come out in the last decade.
    I thought it looked really good. Anyway, its out at xmas. Will see.

Have you seen the BBC films? With Rupert Holmes, those are pretty good.

Dig, you're screwing with our browser by posting such a large pic. Can you resize it smaller, Please?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Nope, haven't seen them. I've watched a couple episodes of the old show. I rarely bother watching when I can read. With few exceptions books are so much better.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    This is true.

Have you read Hornblower too, then?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I have not read Hornblower, though I want to. Right now I'm working my way through the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien, greatest author nobody's ever heard of. Granted I can't personally compare it to Hornblower, but I've heard it's a step up.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    i felt the same way about twilight... what a waste of money.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    I have not read Hornblower, though I want to. Right now I'm working my way through the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brien, greatest author nobody's ever heard of. Granted I can't personally compare it to Hornblower, but I've heard it's a step up.
    See, now this is one problem with you being a perpetual bachelor. You don't get to revisit all these great books with your kids.

Dune, Cyteen, Hornblower, Sharpe... all these books we are rereading these last few years ostensibly to enhance our son's education.

I looked up your author--the Master & Commander movie was based on these books. Thought the Aubrey name sounded familiar. Think I will pick up a couple for xmas. I got major points for getting the Tin Can Sailor's book.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    See, now this is one problem with you being a perpetual bachelor. You don't get to revisit all these great books with your kids.
    Ahh! But you are mistaken, m'dear, for I have a sister. I will be the greatest uncle that's ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I looked up your author--the Master & Commander movie was based on these books. Thought the Aubrey name sounded familiar. Think I will pick up a couple for xmas. I got major points for getting the Tin Can Sailor's book.
    Ooh. I'm glad he liked it. Tin Can Sailor's turned out to be one of my favorites.

I will say this about Patrick O'Brien, the man makes no concessions in his writing. Naval terms are tossed this way and that with little explanation. I know you all are into sailing, so it might not be that big of a deal. Personally, I had to keep a dictionary at my side at all times. Plus the books were written in the 1970's, but they read like something from the 1870's. Lots of historical references without any hand holding. Lots of clever puns, though. Some of O'Brien's jokes are downright Shakespearean. Subtly raunchy stuff most people read without ever realizing they ought to be grinning. A few of his puns manage to mix the historical with the modern. I don't want to say O'Brien's works are hard to read, but you've really got to be on your toes to appreciate it all.
    Last edited by Gribble; 01-12-09 at 01:15 PM.
    -Mark Twain

-Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12