+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas is Mostly Ruined for Me

Celebrating christmas is about fun, gifts and time off from school for kids. If you have children you live it through them. If you're grown with no kids it's about religion.

If you're grown with no kids and not relgious it's just a 'season'. Enjoy it, the extra time off and pay from work and the parties.

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    im the opposite..i dont have very good memories of xmas when growing up but now the older i get the more i enjoy it.
    Im so excited this year as its the first year my son has shown any signs of knowing what it is (well not what it is, but he knows hes getting lots of presents!!)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

i had a dream that you had a young girl, bsummer. she was a snotty little kid lol.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Gasp! No way man, my kids are not going to be snotty.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My g/f's family is religious, too. When they bow their heads to pray for the holiday feast...well that's a discussion I would not be interested in having in someone else's home.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I had to attend mass in this little town that my fiance is from (you know, the kind where everyone knows everyone), and I was the only person who didn't get up to take communion (can't, I'm not baptised). People were staring at me like I'd offended them. It made me so uncomfortable, and my mom-in-law knew it, so she offered to not take it either, but I didn't think that was fair.

Anyways, I'm going to focus on the positive. Family, food, time off.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You should have got up and taken the filmy wafer, Blue. I did this at the local catholic church one xmas when we went with relatives, we all stood up, the priest went around and popped one in everyone's gob, no big deal. Religion only has the power you give it, and you gave it some by allowing them to deny you. Think about it for next time.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No, I support Blue.

Defy the f*ck out of them.

Should have busted out a box of Ritz crackers and started chompin on them. If anyone asked, just tell them you didn't qualify to grab one, but didn't want to stand out.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    You should have got up and taken the filmy wafer, Blue. I did this at the local catholic church one xmas when we went with relatives, we all stood up, the priest went around and popped one in everyone's gob, no big deal. Religion only has the power you give it, and you gave it some by allowing them to deny you. Think about it for next time.
    As I also attend a church but refuse to take communion, I fail to see how pretending to be part of the clique is a way to "not give it any power", but rather the opposite.

Please enlighten me, oh mighty Indy, goddess of the sand. *kowtows*

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I love chrissy. It's boiling hot here. Everyone has time off at the same time, I just do heaps of surfing and going out. And I get to see all my relatives. Good times.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post
    I love chrissy.

Ok, so this confused me until I realized you meant Christmas. Thought maybe you'd met some new chick you hadn't told us about yet.

Indi, I get what you're saying completely. However, me taking communion represents what I feel religion does to the majority of it's followers: force them to engage in certain activites or beliefs out of peer pressure or guilt.

I sleep better knowing I didn't give in to it, even if I had to endure some minor discomfort for ten minutes. When I think about it now, I wonder why I was even uncomfortable.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    As I also attend a church but refuse to take communion, I fail to see how pretending to be part of the clique is a way to "not give it any power", but rather the opposite.

Please enlighten me, oh mighty Indy, goddess of the sand. *kowtows*
    I wasn't kowtowing at all, LOL. I went b/c it didn't mean anything to me. It did mean something to our aged family member, so it was largely a big 'shrug' to me. I guess that's the difference. Everyone knew I wasn't a catholic and hadn't been indoctrinated to their BS. The priest would have had to overtly deny me in front of everyone and he couldn't.

Letting them deny you by not partaking gives them power--its a visual confirmation you 'aren't one of them'. Like agreeing to wear the scarlet letter. Blue said that she wasn't eligible b/c she isn't baptised. So by not going, she gave into their convention. She should have gone anyway, proudly, IMO.

But Blue likely didn't care not going either. She should have pulled out a magazine & read while they were all doing their thing. Either way, its really about attitude.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesummer View Post
    Indi, I get what you're saying completely. However, me taking communion represents what I feel religion does to the majority of it's followers: force them to engage in certain activites or beliefs out of peer pressure or guilt.
    But in the catholic faith you are only suppose to take it if you have passed their rituals. Only an infidel would do it without having been purified with their doctrine. It is like someone hand-feeding you a rice cracker. Nothing more. LOL.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I took communion when I wasn't supposed to. I chewed the wafer, too, which is apparently a big no-no. It's like chewing up Jesus. hehhe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast